Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Laxity  (Read 998 times)

Offline 380th

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Laxity
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:00:13 PM »
I have had two medial meniscus surgeries. Sometimes it feels like my tibia and femur are moving WAY to much inside.  There is no way I can stop suddenly because it feels like my knee is going to tear.  Basically it feels very unstable.  I have the same problem going down stairs, my femur is sliding forward over my tibia.  That is a very weird feeling.  Any help would be appreciated!

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Knee Laxity
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »
sounds like some physio therapy may be what you need to strengthen the supporting muscles and ligaments .
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline 380th

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:35:33 PM »
Hey UK Girl!

Do you really think that would solve most of the problem?  It has been five months since my last surgery.  Have you been through this type of surgery?  I thought I could at least jog a little bit by now.  My knee is very loose.  My MRI did show that I had a small tear at the base of my ACl, not sure if that could be part of the problem.  The OS would not touch it because it was too small to fix and that scar tissue would make it stronger. 

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 12:31:31 PM »
Hi there,

I would definitely be seeking another opinion. Physiotherapy may not be the only thing you need.

Often tears don't fully show on a MRI.

Good luck !!!
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline 380th

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 06:55:36 PM »
I was thinking about seeing the OS again, I'm just fearful of what he might say.  I have already lost one summer because of my knee.  I was thinking about pushing my knee a little in hopes it might see things my way!  I may give it another month just to see. 

Thanks guys!

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »
hi 380th

I had all my catalidge removed when I was 18 due to it all being too badly damage and also had total rupture of acl - (which was not reconstructed - on account of only being able to have a carbon fibre ligament back then - which my os thankfully said not to do) I had a lot of physio over the years and also did a lot of sport and gym work with the express intention of keeping everything strong and stable. It was not until I was 33 that I had to stop activities like road running (but did have a tkr 10 yrs later).

As for seeing your os again - it certainly cant do any harm - he may even come up with the best way to avoid this problem if it can be sorted without further surgery -which is always a bonus  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:13:23 PM by UK Girl ! »
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)