Lateral release and facectomy

Mal-tracking, lateral release, medial reefing, tibial tuberosity transfer, patellar arthritis, patellectomy, plica, patello-femoral braces. For patellar fractures, see Board on 'Bone Breaks around the knee'.
Bdiddy18
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Lateral release and facectomy

Post by Bdiddy18 »

Hi everyone

I had a lateral release and facectomy done 13 weeks ago. I still have a lot of swelling which worries me. Last week my knee was feeling amazing however this week it’s just feeling really irritated as I jogged a little bit. Anyone have any advice on how long recovery takes?
The_KNEEguru
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lateral release and facectomy

Post by The_KNEEguru »

After an arthroscopic patellar lateral facetectomy, there is no restriction on knee range of motion, and flexion/extension exercises are initiated as soon as possible. No brace is necessary, but crutches are required during the first week immediately after the procedure until the patient can ambulate without a limp. The patient is allowed to bear weight as tolerated during this first week. Flexion/extension exercises, patella and patellar tendon mobilization, quadriceps and hamstrings exercises, ankle pump exercises, and stationary biking with no resistance are initiated immediately after surgery through postoperative week 8. Toe and heel raises as well as balancing exercises are initiated at week 3. Then, treadmill walking with 7% incline and swimming are initiated at week 7. Later on in the rehabilitation period, single plane agility exercises are begun at week 16 and gradually progressed to multidirectional exercises at week 20. Return to sport or their desired activities is permitted, as tolerated by the patient, at postoperative week 20.
From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5442389 Arthroscopic Patellar Lateral Facetectomy
The_KNEEguru
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lateral release and facectomy

Post by The_KNEEguru »

Physiotherapist Lesley Hall wrote a primer on ACL rehab on KNEEguru, and I think this video that she made may be useful for you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJeW_uDIaTs&t=171s to rebuild fitness and reduce swelling without putting your knee through too much strain.

Return to “The patello-femoral joint”