MPFL Reconstruction and screw removed from TT surgery

To let us know how you are getting on for the first days and first few weeks after your operation or injury. We would be interested in knowing about pain levels and meds, dressings, using the CPM machine, swelling, icing regimes, mobility, exercise regimes, bathing and travelling issues, etc.
bunnyup85
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

MPFL Reconstruction and screw removed from TT surgery

Post by bunnyup85 »

Hi all,

So after 20 years of dislocations, 2 surgeries (arthroscopy and TTO), the tomorrow I am having MPFL reconstruction with donor graft due to having hyperextending ligaments and joints and having the screws removed from the TTO - looking forward to that as can feel them all the time!

Not sure what to expect from the surgery, I didn't ask my surgeon any questions about recovery, weight bearing, brace etc however I'm sure I will find out tomorrow!

Going to try and keep a diary of how it goes &#128522;
bunnyup85
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: MPFL Reconstruction and screw removed from TT surgery

Post by bunnyup85 »

So I have had my MPFL and screw removal on Monday and came home on Tuesday.

The operation took 4 hours in the end, not really sure why as was still pretty much out of it when I saw the surgeon after the operation. I'm in a brace for at least 6 weeks, currently locked straight but in two weeks they will unlock it to 30 degrees and go from there. Had physio come and see me in the hospital, went through two exercises which I can do and also how to go up and down stairs but there isn't much I can do until I'm allowed to start bending it more.

Pain has been manageable, was on morphine, co-codamol and ibuprofen in hospital and have been sent home with co-codomol and ibuprofen, if I stay on top of these the pain isn't too bad just sore. I'm allowed to weightbear as tolerated with crutches.

Haven't been doing much since I got home, painkillers are making me sleepy so I'm mainly doing my exercises, taking drugs and then napping on and off! Roll on 2 weeks to have the dressings and stitches removed and to start the proper rehab!

Return to “Post-op diaries”