Sudden Knee Tendon Swelling After Taking Cipro

Sprains, contusions, cysts and tendinitis
KimmeyG
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Sudden Knee Tendon Swelling After Taking Cipro

Post by KimmeyG »

Inasmuch as having been halfway through a 10 day regimen, I was nonetheless quite troubled upon awakening the next day with a very swollen right knee. I recalled Cipro can cause spontaneous tendon and ligament problems, including tears. I won't assume as yet a necessary connection to the medication, but I do request input from experienced members standard knee tendonitis recovery periods.
By afternoon of the morning I awakened to the pain of my right knee, the swelling had extended to the lower thigh and calf. No pain in those locations, but just tissue swelling. With compression bandage, icing, and Ibuprophen I've been addressing the swollen knee. The immediate location of the pain is directly above the kneecap, somewhat upon the kneecap, and some pain beneath the kneecap. Pain decreased 30% the first day, but putting weight with the right knee bent is very painful. I'm into day 3 of this, swelling still present. Assuming best case scenario of acute tendonitis, what is a common length of time until swelling begins to subside? (I ceased taking the Cipro on doctor's orders. I have never had a knee problem in my life).
Audice
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Sudden Knee Tendon Swelling After Taking Cipro

Post by Audice »

Because of the possibility of tendon tears or even ruptures, it's advisable not to give young dogs cipro. Not saying your issue is necessarily related to cipro but it's sure a consideration. Wishing you well.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Return to “Muscle and tendon rehab issues”