Six years post PFPS

If you feel your knee problem has been successfully managed, let us hear about it. Post the full story with the first post - how it started, what symptoms, what you were told, what examinations and tests, what surgery, what type of rehab.
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Six years post PFPS

Post by SuspectDevice »

Pictures speak louder than words :D

https://youtu.be/l0iu0qVypic 
L Medial menisectomy 2012
PFPS both knees 2012-2017
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014 (I think this was crap)
2017 - 90+% cured via Dr Dye's research
2018 - MTB crash, busted collarbone & ribs - easy compared to knees!
2021 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, short runs 2x/week, back to short races
STRONG_UK
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Re: Six years post PFPS

Post by STRONG_UK »

Fantastic, looks amazing, pure bliss and well done on making a full recovery!
I am only 5 months into dealing with PFP and really hoping to be able to post something similar soon, although I'd be over the moon with just being able to walk and drive symptom free!
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by SuspectDevice »

5 months is a microsecond in PFPS time. Just hang in there and be assured you can come out of the darkness.

In a nutshell, I did it by following Dr Dyes protocol, though I did not have an initial kenalog injection, and I was rather impatient ( = very bad at) staying withing my envelope of function. Sadly, I did not find Dr Dyes info until about 4 years into my knees x2 nightmare, hence it took me a long time to recover, with a lot of money and time wasted on the useless/erroneous advice of 'experts' (top Sports Drs, orthopedic surgeons, physiotherapists, physical trainers).
2021 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, short runs 2x/week, back to short races
Brandon123
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Brandon123 »

Awesome video :D And glad to see you're doing so well!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment
STRONG_UK
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by STRONG_UK »

SuspectDevice wrote: 5 months is a microsecond in PFPS time. Just hang in there and be assured you can come out of the darkness.

In a nutshell, I did it by following Dr Dyes protocol, though I did not have an initial kenalog injection, and I was rather impatient ( = very bad at) staying withing my envelope of function. Sadly, I did not find Dr Dyes info until about 4 years into my knees x2 nightmare, hence it took me a long time to recover, with a lot of money and time wasted on the useless/erroneous advice of 'experts' (top Sports Drs, orthopedic surgeons, physiotherapists, physical trainers).
I am sure I will come out of the darkness, just need that bright sparkle to get over the other side. I have read your other posts so I know what you did to get over the other side. Like you, I am also following Dr Dye's EOF, taking baby steps and step counting. Had to put work on hold for the time being as it's physically demanding.
Were you able to drive? I worry it will make things worse and irritate the patella even more, so have resorted to walking short distances, which is not bad because if I could drive I would probably walk less (if that makes sense).
But it's affected me more than I thought it could and most days are a challenge!
Your story and success give us all hope, and hope is all we have!
STRONG_UK
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by STRONG_UK »

SuspectDevice wrote: 5 months is a microsecond in PFPS time. Just hang in there and be assured you can come out of the darkness.

Just to add, I too have consulted top sports Dr, PT's = all advocate muscle first treatment.
I can see the logic behind this, it's just my knees seem to not be ready yet to take the force needed to improve muscle function.

Also, spoke to a sports therapist that treats elite athletes, he suggested muscle activation...but the assessment to identify 'weak or inactive' muscles again will put too much stress on the knees, I suspect.

Bit of a catch 22 situation!
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by SuspectDevice »

STRONG UK wrote:

Just to add, I too have consulted top sports Dr, PT's = all advocate muscle first treatment.
I can see the logic behind this, it's just my knees seem to not be ready yet to take the force needed to improve muscle function.

Also, spoke to a sports therapist that treats elite athletes, he suggested muscle activation...but the assessment to identify 'weak or inactive' muscles again will put too much stress on the knees, I suspect.

They are all wrong and you are right, and it amazes me how little these experts known about chronic synovial inflammation.

The only 'muscle strengthening or activation' you can do is that which keeps you within your envelope of function and does not inflame things more. And that can be a pathetically small amount of movement depending on how bad the knees are. Almost everything I did was like pouring petrol on a fire, hence the need for Celebrex to knock out the inflammation, then I could start doing more and build strength. In fact it was incredible what I could do without a major setback once I got on the Celebrex (e.g. deadlifts, kettlebell swings, sissy squats) - certainly not pain/sensation free, but I could tell it was not leading to long term setbacks & flares. And then it became a self-perpetuating healing because the stronger my legs got, the less stress on the joint, and I could move things up to another level.

This entire Celebrex/icing/Voltaren osteogel-building strength process took at least 12mths though. It is only in the last few months I really feel my knees will not go backwards, and the last month I've moved up to a new level where I can do hard stuff on them 2-3 days in a row without fear of setback.

PS yes driving was bad for my knees.
Last edited by SuspectDevice on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
STRONG_UK
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by STRONG_UK »

SuspectDevice wrote:
STRONG UK wrote:

They are all wrong and you are right, and it amazes me how little these experts known about chronic synovial inflammation.

The only 'muscle strengthening or activation' you can do is that which keeps you within your envelope of function and does not inflame things more. And that can be a pathetically small amount of movement depending on how bad the knees are. Almost everything I did was like pouring petrol on a fire, hence the need for Celebrex to knock out the inflammation, then I could start doing more and build strength. In fact it was incredible what I could do without a major setback once I got on the Celebrex (e.g. deadlifts, kettlebell swings, sissy squats) - certainly not pain/sensation free, but I could tell it was not leading to long term setbacks & flares. And then it became a self-perpetuating healing because the stronger my legs got, the less stress on the joint, and I could move things up to another level.

This entire Celebrex/icing/Voltaren osteogel-building strength process took at least 12mths though. It is only in the last few months I really feel my knees will not go backwards, and the last month I've moved up to a new level where I can do hard stuff on them 2-3 days in a row without fear of setback.

PS yes driving was bad for my knees.
Thanks for sharing that info....are you currently pain/symptom free? It must be great to be able to do everyday things freely without the worry of upsetting the knees.
Also amazing how much communication poorly knees send out on almost hourly basis...dreaming of quiet knees again!
You are spot on...I feel my knees are lacking the strength they had when they were perfect normal knees...being able to walk long confident strides, being able to step on/off curbs/stairs, stand still in one place for more than 3-4 min without needing to fidget, and of course driving again...Those days will come again, I can feel they are trying just need time, not quite there yet. 🤞
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by SuspectDevice »

STRONG UK wrote:
Thanks for sharing that info....are you currently pain/symptom free? It must be great to be able to do everyday things freely without the worry of upsetting the knees.
Also amazing how much communication poorly knees send out on almost hourly basis...dreaming of quiet knees again!
You are spot on...I feel my knees are lacking the strength they had when they were perfect normal knees...being able to walk long confident strides, being able to step on/off curbs/stairs, stand still in one place for more than 3-4 min without needing to fidget, and of course driving again...Those days will come again, I can feel they are trying just need time, not quite there yet. 🤞
I'm not entirely symptom/sensation free, but 90% better. I've just done 4 days in a row on my legs (mostly sold rides of up to 70mins) and last night they felt a touch tingly so I iced them. Did not help that I got attacked by a feral magpie y'day on my MTB in the pine forest who chased me for ages, meaning my planned easy heart rate ride (keep it below 140) turned into a 170 ride :o It's nesting season here & the male magpies go crazy in spring & esp hate bike riders.

I also find crouching & squatting is still not natural & my brain tends to avoid it. I think the 5yrs of chronic inflammation did all the cartilages in my knees no favours at all.

But I no longer think about my knees 24/7. I got my life back!

One more thing I do. There is some recent research that taking low dose Aspirin daily helps stop the inflammatory response in grumbly knees (stops the development of cytokines etc) so I take one daily and I think it has def aided my recovery.

STRONG_UK
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by STRONG_UK »

SuspectDevice wrote:
STRONG UK wrote:
I'm not entirely symptom/sensation free, but 90% better. I've just done 4 days in a row on my legs (mostly sold rides of up to 70mins) and last night they felt a touch tingly so I iced them. Did not help that I got attacked by a feral magpie y'day on my MTB in the pine forest who chased me for ages, meaning my planned easy heart rate ride (keep it below 140) turned into a 170 ride :o It's nesting season here & the male magpies go crazy in spring & esp hate bike riders.

I also find crouching & squatting is still not natural & my brain tends to avoid it. I think the 5yrs of chronic inflammation did all the cartilages in my knees no favours at all.

But I no longer think about my knees 24/7. I got my life back!

One more thing I do. There is some recent research that taking low dose Aspirin daily helps stop the inflammatory response in grumbly knees (stops the development of cytokines etc) so I take one daily and I think it has def aided my recovery.

As long as you feel your knees are strong and you can rely on them to do all you need/want to do...than little niggles/sensations are easily dealt with. Over time, they might even quieten down totally.

I googles about the Aspirin and found a study that was done in Oz which supports this, quote interesting and if you feel it helps even better...it's suppose to be good for our heart too.

What's with the magpies...are they actually aggressive and can they cause damage? We ocassionally get swooped by seagulls esp. when they have young but they almost will never attack....they will steal your food if you're eating outside though.

P.S. My next goal is to start driving again, I have almost totally abandoned PT for now and only walking mainly on flat surfaces but have also started adding gradual slopes.
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by SuspectDevice »

STRONG UK wrote:
As long as you feel your knees are strong and you can rely on them to do all you need/want to do...than little niggles/sensations are easily dealt with. Over time, they might even quieten down totally.

I googles about the Aspirin and found a study that was done in Oz which supports this, quote interesting and if you feel it helps even better...it's suppose to be good for our heart too.

What's with the magpies...are they actually aggressive and can they cause damage? We ocassionally get swooped by seagulls esp. when they have young but they almost will never attack....they will steal your food if you're eating outside though.

P.S. My next goal is to start driving again, I have almost totally abandoned PT for now and only walking mainly on flat surfaces but have also started adding gradual slopes.
Yes our stupid magpies can cause damage. Usually it is a chunk out of your ear or a hole in your scalp, but a few children have lost eyes to them.

Here's a video of one chasing me on my bike just around the corner from my house (with a bit of movie drama added for effect ;)). Most only do this - come within a few inches of your head then veer away. But I do know of one that landed on a cyclists back and started pecking his neck! And a cycling friend got video of one trying to get at his eyes beneath his sunglasses. I hate the bloody things in Spring!

https://youtu.be/liiGISxl0Fk

Brandon123
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Brandon123 »

SuspectDevice wrote:
Here's a video of one chasing me on my bike just around the corner from my house (with a bit of movie drama added for effect ;)). Most only do this - come within a few inches of your head then veer away. But I do know of one that landed on a cyclists back and started pecking his neck! And a cycling friend got video of one trying to get at his eyes beneath his sunglasses. I hate the bloody things in Spring!

:D :D :D
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment
STRONG_UK
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by STRONG_UK »

SuspectDevice wrote:
STRONG UK wrote:

Yes our stupid magpies can cause damage. Usually it is a chunk out of your ear or a hole in your scalp, but a few children have lost eyes to them.

wow, not fun being chased by a magpie - and the potential damage they can cause, sounds quite scary actually....would a water gun deter them?
James_NZ
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by James_NZ »

Hi, did Dr Dye ever suggest a synovectomy?
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by SuspectDevice »

James NZ wrote: Hi, did Dr Dye ever suggest a synovectomy?
No, I never spoke to/consulted Dr Dye, just read all his research material and figured out what my problem most likely was and what he would have prescribed to fix it - and it worked by and large.

Return to “Your success stories”