Psychology of recovery

General words of encouragement can go a long way. Everyone on this site will appreciate help with coping with pain and disability. Non-denominational, please.
Plumie
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Psychology of recovery

Post by Plumie »

In the UK it seems that the NHS is only able to provide physiotherapy not psychological help. Yet sports people have the opportunity to immediately turn to their psychologists for support following injury/surgery.

Having had 40 years of Chronic knee problems due to a congenital condition my Consultant Orthopod says I would be better served by psychological help rather than his knife. But where to find it? This is the tricky thing. NHS has a 20 week waiting list in Leicestershire. Due to mess ups I have already been waiting 18 months. Why is this so underfunded? There must be loads of people who are languishing with reduced mobility due to the impact of repeated trauma and surgeries whose lives would be made happier and more fulfilling if the help was readily available. Is this service more available elsewhere in the world?

So depressed as it's not something you can achieve alone unlike leg lifts etc!
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Psychology of recovery

Post by vickster »

Is it counselling or pain management strategies you are waiting for?

If the latter, your consultant should presumably refer you for that?

If the former, discuss with your GP as there are resources in primary care, notably IAPT. I think you can self refer by phoning up, but check with your GP. Info here

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anx ... lling.aspx

Presumably you aren't able to speed up the process by going private?

There's also plenty of self help around CBT, mindfulness available on the web or through books

I expect the UK is actually better or certainly no worse than most other countries in the world at providing free access to psychological help and pain management free at the point of care even if you do have to wait. You should be jumping up and down about the 18 months of mess ups. Talk to your GP
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone
Plumie
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: Psychology of recovery

Post by Plumie »

Hi Vickster
Thanks for your response.

I am unusual in that I have no pain but it manifests itself in feelings of knee vulnerability, supreme jumpiness when out and about (a la PTSD). Yes, the jumping up and down has begun and I could seek the private route - the key thing is to seek out someone who has experience of dealing with long term chronic conditions and mobility. From what I have read I am thinking a Sports Psychologist might be the way forward as it is about re-establishing confidence in my knees and mobility. Would love to know if anyone else has had success with this sort of help.
Thanks for the link - I will study.

Return to “Emotional/Spiritual help and encouragement”