Patella replacement in young person (42) !!! Help

Post here if you are new to the board and not sure where to post your question. Or if your question or comment is of a general nature. The KNEEguru may move it later to a more relevant section if necessary.
Rice1971
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Patella replacement in young person (42) !!! Help

Post by Rice1971 »

Has anyone experienced a PFR under the age of 42 - I'm 42 with severe pain. Still recovering post op 1yr from MACI which I feel has not worked - My OS says I'm too young for him to consider a PFR ! - Do you think I should seek an alternative OS or take advise of existing OS and bear with the pain !!!! HELP
christine67
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Patella replacement in young person (42) !!! Help

Post by christine67 »

Hi I am 46 yr female with OA,
I am 4 weeks post op PFKR and TTT my OS told me that he would not do a TKR at my age group but would do the PFKR instead as my knee was so bad, so I would seek a second OS if was were you.cb
Last edited by christine67 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dislocation in both knees in late teens
1988 realignment of R/knee
2009 Dislocations start again
Oct 2011 scope
Dec 2011 femoral de-rotation
April 2012 bone graft
Aug 2012 metal work removed and replaced with plate
Aug 2013 PFJR, tibia tuberosity transfer
April 2014 femur hardware removal.
Rice1971
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Rice1971 »

Hi, found another OS and he too said I was too young so performed an arthroscopy t o2clean things up" this clearly has not worked !!!! how did you go about finding an OS who would perform a PKR on young patient? I feel like I'm going around in circles having op after op with no success :(
dm
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by dm »

I'm 42, and my knee is so screwed nothing short of a TKR is going to make any difference for me. My OS says when I can't stand it anymore he'll put the knee in -and he said this last summer when I was 41. I've been in pain management trying to delay the inevitable, but since it feels like something broke in my knee last month, I'm going to have to get a new mri, and if something's busted in there, I may have to go ahead and get that TKR.

SO- it is possible to find an ortho who will do a knee replacement in a younger middle age patient when there is no other options left for them to have a functional quality of life. There are others on this board my age, and a few even younger (I think I saw one who was 39) who have successfully had TKRs done.

I am NOT a PKR candidate because I have bicompartmental damage that's severe - PF as well as medial both grade 3/4, I have spots on the back of my kneecap where it's raw bone, acl repaired, repair failed, mfx to mfc which took 18 months to heal, and that fibrocartilage is the best "bone" on the medial side of my femur the doc said... and that is bad. So you can read from those descriptions my knee is shot.

If the OS you got refuses and you're at that point where the damage is so bad functioning and quality of life is impacted - take current MRI reports, last surgical photos and seek another opinion.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Return to “GENERAL KNEE QUESTIONS and comments (good for new threads)”