Where are all the Regenexx patients? Has the stem cell bubble burst?

Procedures involving the use of stem cells rather than mature cartilage cells to regenerate cartilage, eg Regenexx.
Sturge08
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Where are all the Regenexx patients? Has the stem cell bubble burst?

Post by Sturge08 »

A couple of years ago you couldn't move for past and new patients posting their Regenexx procedure experiences on the Kneegeeks bulletin board, perhaps its all gone onto social media websites now - I don't know. We even had at some point doctors from Regenexx posting on here supporting their beliefs. Now all we have left are some old faithful bloggers and some tired old threads leading to no hope.

Are people still committing to the financial gamble of finding out if their stem cells will cure them of their joint pain, but not posting anymore? Or has it all gone quiet in Colorado?

I regularly read the Regenexx blog, and I must say the stories are noticeably repeating themselves or are just reports on how bad surgery is (which we all know) and very few in the way of patient success, results and R&D.

Any views most welcome.
Last edited by Sturge08 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickCat11
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Where are all the Regenexx patients? Has the stem cell bubble burst?

Post by NickCat11 »

I think stem cells are bigger than ever now. You really can't base things off of the popularity of a forum. A lot of surgical procedures are starting to incorporate them as well. Rush hospital in Chicago for example is now starting to use them in conjunction with rotator cuff surgery and other orthopedic procedures. As time goes on they're going to become more mainstream. Just my two cents...
Sturge08
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Sturge08 »

NickCatt11 - I will lean towards basing my assumptions on chatter seen on forums, or should I say the lack of chatter seen on forums regarding Stem Cells - this is just how the modern world communicate. If something is big and successful people will write about it. I see less conversations, less results and general positivity about stem cell success. I'm glad that the hospital in Chicago is valuing stem cell treatments, its about time some mainstream hospital explored this. I'm more interested in stem cells being used for cartilage repair and regeneration than ligament repair (although very important). What are these other orthopedic procedures which you talk about?
NickCat11
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by NickCat11 »

I agree the Internet is the way of the world now but I feel people are more likely to search for answers on forums, blogs, etc than going and posting that a surgery/procedure worked for them. Not sure if you read my story a few topics below this one but I was fortunate enough to have a fair amount of cartilage growth in my lesion on my humerus. I plan on getting two more stem cell treatments this year to hopefully seal the deal.
NickCat11
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by NickCat11 »

Sturge,

I forgot to answer your question in my last post. I'll have to hunt down the links but Rush Hospital in Chicago (ligaments, tendons) and Union Memorial Hospital in MD (ankle and shoulder cartilage lesions in conjunction with MF). Those are the two I know off hand. Hope this helps.
rob_wilson
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by rob_wilson »

Personally I have had great results with stem cells. It is not magic. It takes a great deal of pain, time, exercise and $$$$$. It takes multiple injections not usually just 1. Very few people have these resources or dedication to complete the process. That is why there are not more people on this website.
1997-Bilateral debridement
1999-Lt knee trochlea paste graft
2000-Rt knee trochlea paste graft
2000-Lt knee scar
2002-Lt knee ACI biopsy+plica
2002-Lt knee medial condyle abrasion+HGH
2002-Lt knee scar
2003-Rt knee trochlea abrasion+HGH
2005-Lt knee plica
2008 to present-Regenexx
Sturge08
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Sturge08 »

It's good to hear that your money and stem cells are working for you both. I wish I had thousands in the bank and time to spare to wax on these treatments. Personally I think the procedures need to become cheaper and work more effectively before they go mainstream. Ironically Regenexx today have advertised a new study using the SD procedure to treat rotator cuff tears - could this be the turning point? And we may now begin to see more studies and then procedure development (I do hope so).
NickCat11
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by NickCat11 »

Why aren't the Regenexx procedures considered effective? All procedures have a success and failure rate. Like Rob said, it's not magic dust, it's a process. Look all the major issues with joint replacement procedures that are considered "mainstream". As far as price, their procedures cost well less than most surgeries within a hospital, they're just not covered by insurance. Regenexx isn't the only one out their either, there are many other clinics that are much more financially feasible.
rob_wilson
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by rob_wilson »

If anyone is looking for magic, it is not going to happen. Again, it takes time, lots of repetitive exercise, patience not to overdo, supplements, no smoking, little alcohol, great diet, and $$. It is a healing process. Without the stem cells or regenerative injections (prolo, PRP), the major healing usually cannot happen.
2000-Lt knee scar
2002-Lt knee scar
2005-Lt knee plica
2008 to present-Regenexx
Sturge08
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Sturge08 »

Nickcat11, I'm not solely targeting the effectiveness of stem cell procedures towards Regenexx. I also am not pro surgery as its risky and brings all sorts of problems with it, however it can help most people. Yes a stem cell procedure is cheaper than say a $45000 knee replacement operation. But a knee replacement operation could provide pain relief and improved ROM for 15-20 years. How many stem cells injections are needed to match this record and at what cost? We don't know. I'm unaware of any clinics who I would trust more and that are cheaper than Regenexx, maybe you could enlighten me? Rob has just proved that it takes a lot of time, energy etc for it to work. The average person probably would struggle to match Rob's determination, therefore if stem cell procedures want to be mainstream, they need to become more effective.

Anyway we are loosing sight of my original post, I merely wanted to find out if there are any new stem cell procedure patients out there who would like to share their experiences and if anyone knows of any new R&D related to this topic.
Last edited by Sturge08 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob_wilson
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by rob_wilson »

Stuge - I totally agree that you have to weigh the pros and cons of surgery risk / time to heal vs. stem cell cost / time to heal. Believe me I have chosen surgery many times over stem cells. Sometimes, I do surgery and then regenerative injections to maximize the surgery effectiveness. Stem cells can be cost and time prohibitive but less risky. It is a situation by situation decision.
2000-Lt knee scar
2002-Lt knee scar
2005-Lt knee plica
2008 to present-Regenexx
rob_wilson
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by rob_wilson »

2000-Lt knee scar
2002-Lt knee scar
2005-Lt knee plica
2008 to present-Regenexx
Sturge08
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Sturge08 »

Could the total lack of new bloggers responding to this thread mean i'm right? I appreciate Rob Wilson highlighting a patient who has been successfully treated for an Achilles tear, but this patient was treated over a year ago. I'm just interested to hear of recent patients stories. Anyone...
rob_wilson
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by rob_wilson »

I guess it is too costly. However, if the FDA gets a hold of it, it will be really screwed up.
2000-Lt knee scar
2002-Lt knee scar
2005-Lt knee plica
2008 to present-Regenexx
Sturge08
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Sturge08 »

Rob - what do you mean if they FDA get hold of it? They already have stopped the cultured procedure being carried out in the USA, are you now suggesting they are planning on blocking the SD procedure too?

Return to “CARTILAGE REPAIR - Stem cell procedures (eg Regenexx)”