Distal/Medial TTT, MPFL, and Distal Femoral Osteotomy 6/13/11

To let us know how you are getting on for the first days and first few weeks after your operation or injury. We would be interested in knowing about pain levels and meds, dressings, using the CPM machine, swelling, icing regimes, mobility, exercise regimes, bathing and travelling issues, etc.
JFVolleygirl27

Re: Distal/Medial TTT, MPFL, and Distal Femoral Osteotomy 6/13/11

Post by JFVolleygirl27 »

Fathead: Good luck!! I wish you all the best. You will be better before you know it :)

I have kind of lost track of how long its been since surgery, but somewhere around 4 months(ish)?

And I would say that I am about fully recovered for the most part - at least to the extent that my knee rarely limits me from participating in whatever activities I want to. I can run now...and it feels less awkward with every week. I can also jump without pain...like jumping jacks or whatnot. The muscle has really been coming back. The only time I really get pain is when I try to do full out squats or when kneeling, which I have no doubt will get better when more muscle comes back. Although, a bit of the discomfort I am presuming is from the hardware where I got my distal femoral osteotomy as its right over that area. I nearly have full range of motion back...got quite a few more degrees this past month :)

All in all, this knee surgery was totally worth the 4 months of recuperation - my knee feels as stable as ever. The only kind of issue I get sometimes is if I don't stretch/work out for several days at a time, my knee will feel a bit stiff. But then it just takes like 30 mins on the bike and a good stretch, and it feels great for another 4 days or so. Its so hard to find time to work out in college....but I do plenty of walking around campus. Also, recent update - I am thinking about majoring in computer science! My school has a really good CS department and I am currently in an object oriented programming class (which consumes my life and is the reason I have no time to work out), but I really like it....and some cool companies like Pixar and Google recruit here pretty heavily - it would be so cool working with Pixar since film is a hobby of mine, too. I love my Acting and Directing class too, although I am not a fan of my economics and anthropology class!

I still have numbness on the left side of incision - for some reason, that goes away super slowly....but it obviously doesn't cause problems, just feels funny. And I still have a few clumps of scar tissue, but its stretched out for the most part and doesn't bother me. I do have an odd bump like right on left side of my kneecap....I have had it since surgery - I am guessing its from the hardware. I don't know, but it doesn't really hurt. And I am currently working on getting surgery for my right knee set up for this winter break most likely!
greyliston
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by greyliston »

I am so happy for you! Glad to hear things are going well.
2010 - Failed LR
2011 - Failed LR lengthening
2011 - TTT, LPFLr, MPFLr
JFVolleygirl27

Post by JFVolleygirl27 »

4.5 months

Everything is still going great with my knee. About a week and a half ago, however, I did start getting like a really sharp pain on the later side of my shin underneath my knee, that would shoot down to my foot. I wasn't sure what it was at first, but it just would hurt really bad whenever I went downhill or down stairs. It freaked me out a little at first bc I thought it had something to do with my knee, but it just like started all of the sudden. I did some research though and I think its just shin splints. It started after going down the massive hill in Providence from campus to downtown area.....and I wasn't wearing good shoes that day. And I was on it a lot last weekend so it got to the point where I constantly got that sharp pain just when walking normally, so I went on crutches for a day (glad I brought them to college!) and the day off my leg really helped. I am still getting the pain, but I have been trying to take it easy so its been better at least lately. But my knee is still doing great....don't really get pain in it anymore, just some occasional stiffness and discomfort where the hardware is. Can't wait to get the hardware out!

I also think I am gonna wait to get my right knee surgery. With my insurance, it would be under a new deductible year and thats too much of a financial strain right now on my parents and our insurance company is still trying to get out of paying for the follow-up therapy and some other things from surgery. Freaking health insurance companies!

JFVolleygirl27

Post by JFVolleygirl27 »

~5 Months

Great news!! Just got the okay to get hardware removal on left leg....so I will be doing that over my winter break. I can't wait - once that's done, my left knee will be officially finished! And that will give me some more time to think over what to do about my right knee and whether to go on with the same operation on it. I have had such a good outcome with my left that I would get my other done in a heartbeat if I knew it were going to dislocate again in the future...but its just finding the right time during college that is the hard part for such a big operation. I don't really want to waste a summer recuperating from surgery when I could be studying abroad or doing an internship or going on a hiking trip. But we will see! Just hard to know what to do. It has dislocated once (twice at the most) several years back in jr high....then it was just my left one that started dislocating the majority of the time. But my right still has the same alignment issues...and occasionally pops as did my left. But I don't have pain in it really. But I didn't have that much pain in my left either...it was just the dislocations. I will figure it out. And I did just find out earlier this week that this winter's surgery will be under the same deductible year so that is great news for my family!

Otherwise, same old! The odd pain I was getting in my shin area is still there, but its much better than it was last week. The past few days, I have been able to do a kind of hop thing down stairs which is a big improvement from a few weeks ago.

Hope everyone has a good Halloween weekend!
Jen
JFVolleygirl27

Post by JFVolleygirl27 »

7 months or so

Its been a while since I have updated!

Everything is still going pretty good. About 5 days or so ago, however, I did get a lot of random swelling in my knee...its still there, thought its gone down a bit. It bothered me for a day and it like hurt to bend my knee a lot and walk cuz it was so stiff...but its going good now even though its still a bit swelled. It was totally random - I have no idea what could have caused it. I was doing a bit more running than usual when I was working out for a few days before it started to swell...but nothing much more than I normally do?

But other than that random episode....doing good! Still getting shin splints a bit every now and then.

And on a happy note - I AM GETTING THE HARDWARE OUT IN 10 DAYS!!! Can't wait :)) Its starting to irritate me...particularly my femur where the plate is. Is hardware removal worthy of a dif. post op diary? Or I may just update about it in here?

And its finals week next week....so I am starting to stress a bit...a lot. I can't WAIT to be done with my computer science class...its so rewarding - like every project is one massive puzzle....but its so stressful. I still have no idea what I want to major in...but leaning towards CS/econ. Could easily change though.
JFVolleygirl27

Post by JFVolleygirl27 »

Just got the hardware out on monday. Everything went fine with surgery - just have a few after effects that I am dealing with now. I started stating really sick yesterday - had a really bad headache and vomited everything I ate or drank. And that continued on to today. We are currently driving home so that's made it more miserable. We just stopped at an emergency room at a hospital in Missouri when my headache just became like unbearable and I can't keep any fluids down. So now just waitin to see a doctor. I did some research though and I think I have a spinal headache due to the spinal anethsia. I had all the symptoms - the only time I don't have a headache is when I am lying flat. Weird. But supposedly there are blood patches you can get that give almost instantaneous relief. So the surgery went good - just having weird side effects now. I also went off pain meds last night bc we initially thought that's why I was throwing up.

I will update more when I get home.
JFVolleygirl27

Post by JFVolleygirl27 »

Post op day 5

I just got home two days ago. Its going alright. I did end up getting a blood patch for the spinal headache and it was like instant relief. Took me a while to figure out it was a spinal headache....I had no idea why I kept getting so sick.

I have been on pain meds, but I am still getting a lot of pain, particularly where the distal femoral osteotomy plate and screws were removed...I think I have more pain there than when I got the hardware in. Everytime I straighten my leg to walk, I just get like a burning pain along the side of my thigh in one spot...the TTT removal spot isn't bad at all though. I think its probably because the muscle or IT band was cut into most likely. Idk - how was the pain level for anyone else who has had a femur plate removed? It hurts on the side of my leg over the incision spot just to like press lightly. Is that normal??? Probably because of sore muscle?

Merry christmas everyone!
JFVolleygirl27

Post by JFVolleygirl27 »

Post Op Week 3 (Hardware Removal)
Post Op Month 7 (overall)

Everything's been going great this week since getting my hardware out. My hamstring was giving me the most issues after surgery....its still slightly sore, but ultimately feels a ton better! And my knee was making some odd cracking noises and it was slightly painful...right around the medial ligament area. But its pretty much stopped doing that....only happens occasionally now.

Overall, things improved a lot after getting my staples out on Monday! I can already do machines like the elliptical/treadmil/etc....and it feels so much better having the hardware out! So.....after several years of knee dislocations, my knee is finally finished!!! :-) Such a great feeling!

Now just have to really start on rebuilding muscle and working through some scar tissue over the next year. I am hoping to build as much muscle as I can in my right leg too to hopefully avoid ever needing to get surgery on it...it hasn't dislocated in about 8 years! And...although I know there is a lot of scar tissue along the side of my leg and such, i really don't notice it at all unless I push down on it really hard...otherwise, scar tissue isn't limiting me at all. I am so glad that I had the aggressive rehab that I did so that scar tissue never had time to settle!

I am almost back to full range of motion as well....still a bit stiff from surgery 3 weeks ago, but its really starting to come back fast this week! I had full ROM before I went in for hardware removal.

I think thats it for an update!
Last edited by JFVolleygirl27 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFVolleygirl27

Post by JFVolleygirl27 »

Post op: 2.5 months (Hardware Removal)
Post Op: 8.5 months (DFO, TTT, MPFL, LPFL)

My knee is doing great! Every now and then, it gets a bit sore....and its still tender where I had the TTT, but overall, its doing great. I have practically full ROM, I can run, jump, dance. I am not really limited with anything. So glad I got this surgery over with! Also, I don't think scar tissue is too bad. I went to a message therapist for like 3 sessions and it was all loosened in my hamstring and along my IT band. I have been keeping vitamin E on the scar every day and its fading pretty nicely. I have a weird lump like right next too my scar but i am not sure what it is...it doesn't hurt that bad, and i can like move it around. I think its either one of those like little lumps of fat tissue (i think those are called lipomas) or a varicose vein. But yeah - the knee itself is doing great in all. The only pain i really get is whenever I do squats or something like that where I put a lot of weight onto it, and it will sometimes hurt at the top of the knee cap...but i think that is due to the muscles still not being as strong as they should.

Thats it!
captainruss
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by captainruss »

JF,

I have enjoyed watching your progress. I am taking my 14 year old daughter Kiani to see Dr. Sanders as soon as schedules will permit. I think Kiani has a similar condition to you and I pray she has a similar outcome. She dreams of going to the U.S. Naval Academy and I am trying to help her with that.

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR
11  TKR  AF diagosis
12/11  HO diagnosed
2012  Intractable Pain
2012  OS split
amputation possible?
JFVolleygirl27

Post by JFVolleygirl27 »

Russ,

Thats great! Good luck to your daughter....she will be in good hands. If I can do anything or you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Jenna
crankerchick
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by crankerchick »

Hey JF, great to see everything going well for you. I haven't come on this site in who knows how long, but it's nice to see that you are progressing right along and also out enjoying your fixed parts. Bravo! Your hard work on doing the "leg work" on figuring out the best procedure for you before letting someone operate, along with your dedication to your recovery, certainly looks like it's paying off for you! Congrats.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor
JFVolleygirl27

Post by JFVolleygirl27 »

Thanks Crankerchick!! That means a lot :-) And I definitely couldn't have done it without your help!! How is your knee doing?? Sounds like its going good if you haven't been on here for a while =D I haven't been on in a while either!

Decided to do one last update!

10 months post op
Hardware removal: 4.5 months post op

I am pretty sure my knee is completely healed! It feels fantastic. I was able to go to a carnival during spring weekend at my college last week...and I am happy to say that I was able to run, jump, even comfortably land on my knee through those fun blow-up obstacle courses that they always have at carnivals :-) Haha. Its amazing being able to run and jump with a secure knee! And the dance performance for one of my classes is next week....and i am able to participate in it with no problems! I have full ROM, no pain from scar tissue or anything else. Even the numb feeling where the TTT was is steadily going away now. I have been super active and have been doing loads of strengthening on my own at college....and it has really payed off! My knee doesn't even feel stiff anymore. I still have a bit further to go in terms of getting all the muscle back...but its definitely getting there! Now just waiting for that horrid scar to start fading =D But I would take the scar with a good knee any day in comparison to the state my knee was in before seeing Dr. Sanders in Texas!

And I am so thankful for this community at KG.....its been a great place to find support and talk with others in the same boat. Everyone has been so wonderful and helpful during this road to recovery!

Surgery = success!
Last edited by JFVolleygirl27 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
natenix
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by natenix »

Jenna,

Your posts have been very encouraging. Along with crankerchick and a few others you really instilled confidence that my choice to go with Dr. Sanders was a good one. I wanted to bounce a few questions off of you since in many ways our surgeries/lifestyles are sort of similar. Though I'm not a college student, I work with a college ministry and so my lifestyle when not in pain can be very similar to a college student. Also though my work was done on my tibia and not my femur, it was an osteotomy and I did have multiple things done. Also I just had my surgery, and hope to have one around the holidays similar to you. So here are a few quick questions. 1. You ultimately went with hardware removal as opposed to having your other leg done this past Christmas, did you feel like if you had elected to do your other leg that you would have been fine crutching around 6 months out on your "fixed" leg? 2. Was Dr. Sanders at all hesitant at letting you have hardware removed at 6 months? I am hopeful I could have mine removed that soon but have seen that the norm is more like 9-12 months. 3. Are you ultimately going to have your other leg operated on? Your unoperated leg sounds like my other leg, it hasn't given me tons of problems like my operated leg did though it has given me for sure and by the measurements Dr. took on that CT scan it's just a matter of time.

Nate
JFVolleygirl27

Post by JFVolleygirl27 »

Hi Nate,

I am glad you are on your way to a better knee :-) How is your recovery going? Sorry for the late response....I haven't been on here in a while.

To answer your first question, my left leg was still kind of weak around Christmas time - I was about 6 months out. I think I definitely could have made it work out fine if I had decided to go ahead and get my right knee done then, but was a bit hesitant considering my left knee still wasn't up to that point yet, and the hardware caused some irritation. Overall, at this point, I am very happy that doc let me get the hardware out around 6 months post op. I was very proactive after having the surgery in terms of doing strengthening on my own in college, and eating very healthy - lots of calcium and protein! The only problem I had was my muscles kind of spazed out I think after having two surgeries so close together...cause I had some intense muscle tightness after getting the hardware out that caused some pain. But other than that, I was walking again in like 3.5 weeks. I am very happy I didn't get the right knee done instead at that point because it would have been really hard for me to go back to school in the winter and deal with that recovery.

And as for getting my other knee done - I decided this summer that I definitely will be doing it. I was very very active this summer....I had dance around 2-3 times per week and ran around 20-25 miles per week. It felt great to be able to do this all again with literally no knee pain in my left knee. But I did start getting pain in my right knee after being so active on it. I think all the running was detrimental to the cartilage and I think thats due to how poorly my right leg is aligned. So I think I will definitely get my right knee done within the next 2-4 years at some point when i get a free summer again. My left knee is just doing so great and is completely pain free that i am not worried about getting it done on my right knee now that i am starting to get pain in it. For me as well, it was just a matter of time before it started giving me problems...and being so active this summer really instigated it I think.

But yes -- I am very happy that I was able to get the hardware out so soon as it really helped rush along my recovery this past spring and summer!

Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Jenna

Return to “Post-op diaries”