really need help regarding my PCL surgery and cartilage scoping.. please read

Cruciate repair, allograft, autograft, synthetic ligaments. Ligament braces.
Pcl_nightmare
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

really need help regarding my PCL surgery and cartilage scoping.. please read

Post by Pcl_nightmare »

Ok so here is what happened. In june 2008 I tore my pcl playing rugby. Like the hard headed idiot I am I didnt get it checked out and just figured I will let it heal on its own. (I didn't know at the time it was my pcl) . After trying to run a few times I would get a sharp stabbing pain and bad swelling in the back of my knee, then one day my knee exploded into the size of a cantelope and I decided it was time to get checked out. To shorten the story I finally found a Dr who could help me because the other two Dr's I went to didn't know much about pcl injurys. He did the surgery in January of 09 (yes I waited 7 months to get it done!) 9 months after the nightmare of rehabbing I was able to run around and practice again (lightly) with my team again and my speed was somewhat back and I was loving it. A month later I was experiencing pain again walking up and down stairs so I went for another MRI. Something meniscal seemed to be the problem so I decided to get a scoping. When the good Dr went inside he only found a lot of cartilage damage and scraped it smooth for me. I'm strengthening on my own and with a trainer right now because while yes rehab is good, I'm a very hard working person in the gym and I know I can rehab on my own plus this wasnt nearly as severe as the pcl surgery.

Ok so here is my issue. It' been 1 month and 2 days since my scoping and while my strength is getting better I'm still feeling pain in the medial area of the knee, it's really the only point of pain I have left and its very aggrivatting and holds me back from doing light sprinting because of the pain. If I place my finger on the point and bend my knee It feels like I guess pebbles in that area of my knee grinding would be the best comparison lol. What is this? What relieves this pain? Will I ever be able to walk up and down stairs without any pain? Any time I land on the leg I feel the pain in that area. I really hope I find someone on here who has been through this because I feel very alone in all of this and I really want to play rugby again . Thank you for reading my post and I hope to hear from somebody soon. My aim screenname is [email protected] my email is [email protected]
Dad3
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Re: really need help regarding my PCL surgery and cartilage scoping.. please read

Post by Dad3 »

I have a similar grating/griding sensation in my operated knee following an ACL and OATS procedure.
Both physio and surgeon have said it is down to VMO attrophy - as im sure your aware the VMO muscles help track the patella and also extend the leg the last 10/15%. As i was off my feet for about 8 weeks the VMO attrophied and therefore the grinding is the patella maltracking over the femur - hence the grating.

This is a possible cause, there may be others.

Good luck.
RT Knee collapsed 08/2009
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
Arthroscopy and MFX - 10/2009
ACL and OATS 11/2009
RT knee lateral release, mosaicplasty and medial reefing - 22nd September 2010.
Still not 100% OK :(
Pcl_nightmare
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: really need help regarding my PCL surgery and cartilage scoping.. please read

Post by Pcl_nightmare »

Do you still have pain while running? I found that working my hamstrings has made it feel better, but we will see how my workout goes tonight.
Dad3
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Dad3 »

I cant physically run past a metre or two without collapsing in pain.
Just like i cant ascend/descend stairs normally.

I too have worked on my hamstrings, but i still have problems.
I see my surgeon tonight, and im pressing for an X-ray/MRI to see whats going on - as i think its not right.
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
ACL and OATS 11/2009
Pcl_nightmare
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Pcl_nightmare »

Well good luck tonight bud. I hope it goes well for you.
Dad3
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Dad3 »

MRI booked for tomorrow/OS consult on Saturday to discuss results - so we'll see what happens.

All the best to you ;)
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
ACL and OATS 11/2009

Return to “Cruciate ligaments”