Brand New tibial plateau mashed potatos

Tibial plateau fractures, femoral fractures, fractured patella
leezard
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Brand New tibial plateau mashed potatos

Post by leezard »

Hello!

I"m not only new to this site, but new to the world of serious breaks and surgery.

To start, I'm a 27 year old female from Alberta, Canada who came across this forum while in search for information on tibial plateau fractures, and help in recovery. To make a long story short, this last Saturday I was playing with my dog half a block from my home, at one point tripped and fell.... but fell FORWARDS onto an already hyper-extended leg. THe knee bent backward, and on xray showed the femur had punched through the miniscus, into the tibial plateau. While I did not see the xray, my husband did. He explained that one side of the tibia showed up very clear and defined, but then just faded away on the other side where the femur overlapped. I was transferred that night to another hospital with a good orthopedic surgeon and put on the surgery slate the next day. It was late, but my surgery happened Sunday night. The surgeon explained that there was ALOT of damage, and was thankful that he did not have to do a bone graft. INstead, he used a synthetic bone replacement material, a plate and 7 screws. I have my leg splinted in a Zimmer brace, and it needs to be on for 6 weeks before the next step.

I was sent home two days after, and I have been home for 2 days. So, yes, very new! I have my first follow up on Monday.

For a full play-by-play, I have all details offered here: http://rovenna.livejournal.com/210838.html

So... I guess I"m looking for advice? I"ve gone through several posts through this section, and I"m seeing alot of long rehab times. Any recommendations? Especially for a stir crazy house wife who's used to taking care of the house and her husband and the pets, and now can do none of it?
Krystal

6/6/09 - TPF (fell)
6/7/09 - surgery: plate; 9 screws
6/9/09 - d/c from hospital w/immobilizer; NWB
6/15/09 - staples removed
7/6/09 - start on ROM
8/6/09 - 20lbs WB, start PT
8/30/09 - stuck @ 75 degrees; start weaning brace; up to 60lbs WB
9/28/09 - D/C from OS care; 92 AROM; 105 PROM
maryc
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: Brand New tibial plateau mashed potatos

Post by maryc »

Hi Leezard - welcome to the wonderful world of TPF. The first thing you need to know is that all TPFs are unique and we all heal differently. Take it slow and follow your OS and PT instructions.
Most of us are non-weight bearing (NWB) for 6 to 12 weeks, so sit back and relax. A common saying here is this recovery is a marathon not a sprint.
The best advice I can give you right now is to let other people help. This is one of the hardest things to do. You are proably so used to taking care of everything yourself, you need to let go and let others do these things for you.
Keep a diary of questions to ask your OS.
Are you getting PT at home?
Do you have a wheelchair for going out - crutches are really tiring and you need to preserve your energy for healing.
Stop in here with your questions or just to vent, we understand.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS
leezard
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by leezard »

thanks Mary!

I figured this might be good for me -- while so far I have amazing support, i just know that even next week i'm probably going to try to get back into my routine and try to help houseclean and such! i'm know i'm not supposed to, but it's hard to watch everyone else do my work.

At this point, I have no PT at all. is this something doctors want a person to do right after the brace is removed? And no wheelchair at this point. i can understand getting tired easily, though....

I've actually started writing down questions for te OS so I don't forget them. right now it's only two, but i'm sure it'll grow ini the next few days.
Krystal

6/6/09 - TPF (fell)
7/6/09 - start on ROM
jeremy_h
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jeremy_h »

Hey Leezard, so sorry you had to join us :(

My first reaction when reading your first post was "Slow down, lady, slow DOWN!". This is long-haul world over here. Your surgeon has given you 6 weeks in a brace before your next step, and six weeks can be a really long time. It may be months before you can walk again, and you should start getting used to the idea right now. It sounds like you have people around you who love you, which is a wonderful thing.

As your pace slows down, you will have lots of time to notice things - pay attention! Learn to appreciate everyone and everything around you and be as receptive as you can. I have found that my injury has given me opportunities that I would never have had otherwise. Fill your life with tranquility and never, never bite the hand that feeds you. This is your new world, for better or worse.

And now to more mundane matters.

Is your brace hinged, or not? If not, your surgeon wants to keep the joint immobile for the next six weeks? You may want to confirm this with him. If you have a hinged brace, you will probably start working on regaining your range of motion (ROM) with your PT. Make sure you get a schedule from your surgeon - what range of motion exercises to do, and when to increase to the next click on your brace.

I wish you a speedy, full recovery!

J.
17 Apr 09: ladder fall. TPF shattered tib/fib + wrist
18 Apr: ExFix until surgery
03 May: Sx. long tib. plate, 10 screws
11 May: Discharged, hinged brace 45 deg.
19 May: Fuzzy x-rays - 60 deg.
26 Jun: No more brace! 90 deg.
01 Jul: 120 deg, PWB.
01 Aug: Full ROM, FWB, using a CANE!
22 Sep: Walking!
leezard
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by leezard »

"Slow down, lady, slow DOWN!".
I know. Everyone is saying the same. This is going to be the worst part of this, because I'm very much a "go go go" kind of person. My husband thinks I'm crazy because I find a goal and try my best to reach it in my own timeframe. I'm hideously independent, so this is not at all easy for me, as I assume it wouldn't be for anyone else, either. After reading some of the other scenarios, I realize how lucky I've been so far in regards to time, and a quick surgical procedure....

And it's only been six days since the break. :(
you have people around you who love you
I do, and I know how extremely lucky I am for that....
Is your brace hinged, or not?
It's not. He mentioned looking at the possibility at my follow up this coming Monday, but he stated it was quite unlikely.
I wish you a speedy, full recovery!
Thank you! My fingers are crossed....
Krystal

6/6/09 - TPF (fell)
7/6/09 - start on ROM
leezard
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by leezard »

So, I"m frustrated right now and am not sure if it's uncalled for or not.

My husband has been fantastic, but wore himself out this week trying to keep up with everything. So far he's been setting me up with snacks before he leaves for work (a bit of fruit, crackers, candies, high fibre yogurt) and a jug of water to get me through the day, and it's worked pretty well. He'll then make me a bit of dinner when he gets home. My appetite has been, so far, nearly non existent.

We have two dogs that are currently staying with family, but due to other family issues they've had to move houses. We decided to bring them home for the weekend, since he's not working over it. He was going to pick them up after work.

He worked late tonight, and so when he got to his sister's place to pick them up, he called me to say he was going to have a bite to eat and take them for a quick walk. That was at 7:30pm. I was getting a bit on the hungry side, but understand that he needs to eat to drive home. No worries. I didn't think it would take long.

At 9pm I'm officially hungry, and crackers just aren't doing it (a person can only eat so many in a day before getting sick of them). It's an hour drive home from his sister's place, and he still hadn't left. When I explained that I was hungry and was really hoping he'd have left sooner, he sounded very annoyed and explained that the dogs needed to be walked -- they had already been walked twice today, before he even got there. This is the normal routine for them. He told me to calm down, eat some crackers and he'd be home in a bit (by about 10pm).

Am I wrong to be pissed? Or am I just being over sensitive?
Last edited by leezard on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krystal

6/6/09 - TPF (fell)
7/6/09 - start on ROM
maryc
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by maryc »

Oh Leezard - so much is going on right now for you. Yes you are right to be frustrated, but don't take it out on your husband - come here and vent all you want - we've all been there. To go from active to just sitting around all day is really hard. Also the various medications you may be taking for pain and imflamation are also playing a part in all this. Add that to the fact that your body is stealing every ounce of energy from you to concentrate on healing and you have - TPF meltdown!!!.
We've all been there.
Your husband too is having to go through a lot of different issues. First there was the stress of finding you injured and he was helpless to do anything about it. Then theres the problem of watching your frustration and not being able to do anything about that either. Add to that he suddenly has to take on duties and responsibilities that are probably new to him. Then just to top it all off the one person he usually turns to for support and sympathy is having problems of her own!
Don't worry you'll get through this.
After you've had a good meal and you're both calm, talk to your husband about the loneiness of being home all day and how you really need his company.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
10/10 - WBAT with cane
2/3/09 - Released by OS
leezard
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by leezard »

Thanks, Mary. I think that's the best plan. YOu're right -- he's making me some soup right now, and I'll wait until that's settled before talking to him about it. We've got a really strong relationship, so I"m sure it'll be fine....

This is going to be a loooong "through sickness" part of the vows we made not so long ago!!
Krystal

6/6/09 - TPF (fell)
7/6/09 - start on ROM
leezard
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by leezard »

We talked. We cried. We both understand each other. It's just gonna be crappy that he has to do the bulk of the work on his own.... hopefully I can get up and help a little, soon.
Krystal

6/6/09 - TPF (fell)
7/6/09 - start on ROM
yorky
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by yorky »

Sorry you had to join our little club.

What i found really usefull whistle NWB was a small bib, I could pop into the kitchen and get some food or drink for myself and then happily bring it back to my purch. This will give you some independance back.
11/11 TPF
13/11 ORIF 6 screws 1 plate
02/01 PWB
15/01 FWB
23/01 Return to work
maryc
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by maryc »

Yorky - your tip made me remember that Americans and Englishmen are separated by a common language. Over here a bib is what is used on a baby to keep them from dribbling down the front of their clothes while eating. I think the English to American translation would be an apron with pockets.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
10/10 - WBAT with cane
2/3/09 - Released by OS
SavannahRobin
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by SavannahRobin »

Leezard; Welcome and sorry you had to join us.
You really are too early to be by yourself for too long...try to enlist friends even if for short periods of time. Something that really helped me was a walker with the seat on it so I could rest if need be on my way to the bathrooom or kitchen. I also used it to put my goodies on for travel back to the couch. I also love the bib idea...wish I'd known about that when I was down. Darn, thats ingenious!!!
Anyway, I know that taking care of someone is very stressful, my sister came over in the very beginning, I'm single, and she also worked a job and then home to me. Caregivers, altho a great help, do not fully understand the energy it takes to just get to the bathroom. It's also scary as the fear of slipping and falling is always there when you try to maneuver around on your own. I got hysterical once when I was alone and came sooo close to taking a terrible spill in my hallway. I was furious that I was in such a horribly vulnerable position but I was also terrified that I would fall and undo all that the OS had done to fix me. I felt so alone and scared. Sometimes we just want the emotional support, especially in the beginning. I would have given anything for a husband to have been there to hug me and get me to the bathroom safely. I hope your husband can understand that and try to be a bit more supportive. There is plenty of time for you to be able to pitch in and do your part ~ for now you need to focus all your energy on healing, you have been through a horrendous event and your body needs your full attention to heal!
Try to give yourself a pass.....that house and everything in it will be there once you get better. You will get over this but it will take time. Patience will be very valuable to you right now. Keep posting so we can follow your progress. I hope everything turns out very well for you! Happy Healing!
Robin
12/20/08 slip and fall in water at a restaurant
12/20/08 diagnosed closed displaced comminuted left patella fracture
12/22/08 open treatment with internal fixation ~ wire, 2 screws, corkscrew anchor
2/16/09 fwb ~ no crutches
4/16/09 Released OS, PT still limping, stiff knee
leezard
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by leezard »

was a small bib
an apron with pockets
Mary, you called it!! :D I couldn't figure out how a bib was going to help me!!

Yorky, that's a fantastic idea. THank you! Dave thinks he has a fanny pack I can use, so he's going to try to find it today.

Robin, the walker is a good idea, but our house is quite small and I think it would probably get even more in the way than not. Plus I doubt it'll fit between the fridge and stove to get into the kitchen -- it's a great little house for the two of us, but there are a couple of spots that are a bit awkward.... such as getting into the kitchen.

THanks so much, guys. Dave and I love each other very, very much and while we both know we'll get through this, I knew that the extra support would be a good idea. I"m glad I joined. He doesn't fully understand, but he sure tries. I only partially understand where he stands, because while I typically look after the house and inhabitants, he's doing alot of extra work with me and the animals while working full time. It's hard, and will continue to be until I can get back in there.

I"m being good, though. I need this to heal properly so it doesn't happen again!
Krystal

6/6/09 - TPF (fell)
7/6/09 - start on ROM
mimi_mama
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by mimi_mama »

Just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your blog about your experience - especially knowing how "fresh" this all is for you...hope you are hanging in there...I look forward to following your updates, since you are a bit ahead of me!

Amanda K. (aka Mimi's mom)
6/5/09 - car accident, TPF left leg
6/17/09 - surgery *8* pins, a plate & cement
6/25/09 - 80 deg. flexion, no pain meds
7/2/09 - released to drive!
7/29/09- no brace; 25 lbs WB allowed
9/10/09 - FWBAT; 110 deg. flex
leezard
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by leezard »

Feel free to lurk, or even add me if you have a Livejournal yourself. It's not isolated to just my knee, though -- it's been my journal for years!! But I will probably be journaling most details on the leg to help keep track of everything... hopefully we can help each other out.

rovenna.livejournal.com
Krystal

6/6/09 - TPF (fell)
7/6/09 - start on ROM

Return to “Bone breaks around the knee”