What's This Mean?

Post here if you are new to the board and not sure where to post your question. Or if your question or comment is of a general nature. The KNEEguru may move it later to a more relevant section if necessary.
K_Johnson
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

What's This Mean?

Post by K_Johnson »

Hi to everyone x

I have just received a copy of a letter my surgeon sent to my GP. He thinks my underlying knee problem relates to a degree of trochlear dysplasia. What the heck is that? As always, very grateful for any replies x

Kate
4 x Athroscopy
Lateral Release
TTT
Microfracture
Patella Femoral Replacement.                                                TKR 31/05/2016
UK_Girl_!
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: What's This Mean?

Post by UK_Girl_! »

Hi Kate - have you tried Google - loads of info there but there are bound to be more people here with experience as well !
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/http ... ic.php?t=7  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)
brianne

Post by brianne »

Trochlear Dysplysia refers to an abnormally shallow trochlear groove. That is the groove at the end of your femur that the patella rides in. This is fairly common or at least not extremely uncommon.
sp7
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by sp7 »

K Johnson wrote: Hi to everyone x

I have just received a copy of a letter my surgeon sent to my GP. He thinks my underlying knee problem relates to a degree of trochlear dysplasia. What the heck is that? As always, very grateful for any replies x

Kate

Yes, always try out Google. Click on http://tinyurl.com/6rm6fe  which will change into all the Google hits for your "trochlear dysplasia". I hope the info helps you in some way.
Once an avid bicyclist (since '71 but ended bicycling in Aug. 2009)
Late May '08: hit on L side by motorist-> L knee badly damaged--> all 4 ligaments torn, bone bruising, meniscal tears; no surgery, no arthroscopy, only X-rays & 2 MRI scans. P. t. and swimming greatly help LEFT knee.
7/14: lost 1ACL
K_Johnson
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by K_Johnson »

Thank you for all your replies.
I'm still a little confused. In the letter the surgeon also referred to a patello-femoral replacement. Now is this the same as a tkr? When I saw the consultant at the hospital he said something about a knee replacement.
4 x Athroscopy
Lateral Release
TTT
Microfracture
Patella Femoral Replacement.                                                TKR 31/05/2016
*Tiffany
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by *Tiffany »

Hi Again Kate !!

Wow, that is the surgery I had !! IN my signature you will see,
"bilateral PFJR" That is both knees = bilateral and
"pfjr" patella femoral jointspace replacment.

The doctor is replacing the underside of the patella with metal and a plastic cap. The plastic cap rides on the new surface of the femure. In the middle of the end of the femur there is a groove that the patella rides in, this groove is replaced by a smooth metal surface.

For me... this new and smooth surface made my chronic dislcation worse. I think this surgery is probably a good choice for people with severe and painful arthrits who had NO history of patella dislcation.

Good Luck..

Tiff
Age 8/Bilateral -Lateral Release '85
Bilateral Patella Resurfacing '86
Bilateral TTT '88
Bilateral- Lateral Release '03.     
Bilateral PFJR '05
PRJ to TKR 1/16/07
PRJ to TKR 6/19/07
TKR Revision  8/17/10
Total Hip Replacement 11/5/15
Rt Elbow Reconstruction 4/27/1
Patellectomy 2/2020
K_Johnson
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by K_Johnson »

Thanks Tiff once again xxx
4 x Athroscopy
Lateral Release
TTT
Microfracture
kc1124

Post by kc1124 »

Hi Kate,

I am 5 1/2 weeks out from a Fulkerson and Trochleoplasy. My femoral trochlear groove showed "lateral subluxation and hypoplasia at the inlet." Basically, after mapping out my osteotomy and performing an open lateral release, my surgeon basically made a new trochlear groove for me.

To date, I am now pain free after suffering from non-stop pain reaching the number 10 on the famous pain scale. I have just started PT and am doing well with that also. Of course there is some pain, but nothing like what I had thought. I am very pleased so far.

Hope some of this information is helpful to you. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kat
K_Johnson
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by K_Johnson »

Hi Kat,

Thanks for your reply :) I hope you continue to progress so well. Pain free or less pain. What a result! I'm sooo pleased for you x
My surgeon has suggested a patello femoral replacement but has reservations on doing this at my age. Waiting for an MRI appointment then for him to make his decision.
Last edited by K_Johnson on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x Athroscopy
Lateral Release
TTT
Microfracture
*Tiffany
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by *Tiffany »

Dear Kate..

Seems your surgeon has ... certain ideas about age?
I was not surprised he was hesitant to do TKR.. that is fairly standard.

But PFJR... I thought this is what it is for... to get things working so you can hold off TILL you are older and can have tkr. Are you sure he isn't a pediatrician? :P ;D

Whatever happens and whatever the surgeon decides, I hope you get some relief. you ARE to young to be this limited by pain.. ;)

TakeCare
T
Age 8/Bilateral -Lateral Release '85
Bilateral Patella Resurfacing '86
Bilateral TTT '88
Bilateral- Lateral Release '03.     
Bilateral PFJR '05
PRJ to TKR 1/16/07
PRJ to TKR 6/19/07
TKR Revision  8/17/10
Total Hip Replacement 11/5/15
Rt Elbow Reconstruction 4/27/1
Patellectomy 2/2020
K_Johnson
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by K_Johnson »

Yipeeee!! Got my mri appointment through for this Wednesday. Perhaps I can now take a step forward or in my case a hobble ;D ;D
4 x Athroscopy
Lateral Release
TTT
Microfracture
kc1124

Post by kc1124 »

Hi Kate,

Good luck with your appointment. Hope everything goes well.

Kat
K_Johnson
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by K_Johnson »

Thank you very much
4 x Athroscopy
Lateral Release
TTT
Microfracture

Return to “GENERAL KNEE QUESTIONS and comments (good for new threads)”