5km fun run race

If you feel your knee problem has been successfully managed, let us hear about it. Post the full story with the first post - how it started, what symptoms, what you were told, what examinations and tests, what surgery, what type of rehab.
Quinkin
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

5km fun run race

Post by Quinkin »

I ran a cross country race last weekend (5km in 24:45).

This is my first race for three years, I have not competed in a cross country meet since 1985.

Some on here may be familiarwith my story. I have had a maltracking patella injury for three years. From November 2005 until December 2006 my knee went downhill. I found it difficult to walk a few hundred metres without my knee seizing up.

The turning was December 2006 when I was shown McConnell taping and started doing quad and glute strenghtening. I have had to rebuild my VMO muscle, which was almost completely atrophied.

I still tape my knee, but am able to walk, run and cycle with decreasing discomfort. I have someway to go, but I am finally winning this battle

To wish impossible things

The Cure
Quinkin
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Re: 5km fun run race

Post by Quinkin »

I continue to improve.

I have run in five cross country races. Last weekend I finished fourth. There is less and less pain after each run.

I have run 6km in 26:30.

Currently I run 17km a week and cycle forty km. I still tape my knee, and work hard at the physio to build up my quads.

The Cure
Kaputt_Knee
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by Kaputt_Knee »

Great news Quinkin.

I've just undergone my 5th ACL reconstruction, this time with a LCL and PLC reconstruction and have been told that if I stick to the rehab regime I should be able to return to downhill skiing the winter. I used to teach skiing professionally but had to give up because of continuing knee probs. I've now missed 2 complete seasons as well - did a little cross country as cardio training last winter. So your news gives me hope I can return to my first love!

Sue ;) in Germany
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee
Quinkin
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Quinkin »

Kaputt_Knee wrote: Great news Quinkin.

I've just undergone my 5th ACL reconstruction, this time with a LCL and PLC reconstruction and have been told that if I stick to the rehab regime I should be able to return to downhill skiing the winter. I used to teach skiing professionally but had to give up because of continuing knee probs. I've now missed 2 complete seasons as well - did a little cross country as cardio training last winter. So your news gives me hope I can return to my first love!

Sue ;) in Germany
Hi Sue, Running is something I love, so I know who you must miss downhill skiing. All the very the best wishes that all your hard work at rehab will get you back on the ski slopes.

I am running now three times a week, and cycling four times a week.

On the weekend I ran in a race that was 6.6kms long. There was no pain! The race was adevrtised as a 5km race. My Garmin said 6.64km. I haven't run this far in a race or training since my twenties. I finished seventh in the race. And I continue to get faster, fitter and stronger. My 6km time is down to 25:48.

Being able to run these last two months has been like being a cripple that gets out of a wheelchair and suddenly being able to walk again after 20 years. Every kilometre I run (160km since June), is like a dream come true, an unsuspected blessing.

It proves that sometimes patience, hard work and courage can bring undreamt of rewards.

The Cure
Quinkin
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Quinkin »

Today I ran a total of ten kilometres. A two kilometre race in 7:53, ans slow easy 8km run. I have not run this far for over twenty years

The Cure
Quinkin
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Quinkin »

On the 21st September 2008 I raced in the 9km Bridge Run. I finished 562nd out of 12385, and 63rd out of 886 in the 40-49 years age group. This is a running dream come true.

The Cure
Kaputt_Knee
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by Kaputt_Knee »

I love reading these positive posts! Thanks for coming back and posting every so often Quinkin :D :D

Here's another one!

I'm going back to work today 6.5 weeks after my marathon operation and at least 6 weeks earlier than my surgeon predicted before the operation!

I'm working without crutches and without a limp - OK I'm a wee bit on the slow side, but I'm getting quicker and approaching a normal speed. I use the crutches when I'm out in crowds so that people do not mow me down - actually works here in Germany/Austria too ;) They don't park in the Handicapped parking either (it costs too much if you're caught probably!!!)

I'm locked at 90 degrees flex for another 3 weeks because of the LCL repair but am already on the stationary bike and doing leg presses and curls in the gym under the guidance of my PT. I feel stronger and more positive than I have done for years because I can see an end to this nightmare.

My surgeon is POSITIVE I will be skiing again this year but has advised me not to commit myself to teaching yet - I'm happy with that. I'm aiming to be on my cross country skis as soon as I can to help build up the proprioception as well as strength and then will take my first downhill "steps" in January when it is quieter on the slopes here. If all goes well I am aiming to learn snowboarding so that I can ski deep snow and off-piste again!

Got to go the "Rush Hour" calls >:( but I'm glad to be going back to work already!

Sue in the cool but sunny Alps!
3/06 LK ACL torn!
Quinkin
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Quinkin »

Hi Sue,

May your skiing dreams come true before you know it.

all the best

Quinkin

The Cure
Quinkin
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Quinkin »

An update on my return to running.

I have run 500kms this year so far. I've done many 12km and 16km runs.

My 5km time is down to 20:34. I have run 6 races this year.

I came 9th/73 in a recent fun run.

The Cure
Kaputt_Knee
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by Kaputt_Knee »

Hi Quinkin

another success post from you - CONGRATULATIONS, that's a tidy time!

I have got back to skiing - got the OK at the end of January and restarted on 6th February. It went like a dream, no knee pain whatsoever, but boy were the muscles a disappointment. I gradually built up to a full day on the slopes then did 3.5 days in a week. It took my muscles and tight tendons nearly 2 weeks to recover from that. I'm hoping to have a few more days yet this season before putting my skis away until next winter.

My aim over the summer is to really work on endurance and strength as well as shift the 20 kg that have attached themselves to me after 3 years of relative inactivity. It's going to be hard as I will have to change many established habits, but I'm determined to do it in order to prolong the life on my much abused knees.

I have some photos uploaded on FaceBook as well as on a skiing site called "snowHeads" if you want to take a peek. I'll PM you with my "real" identity if you need it. ;)

Sue :D :D

3/06 LK ACL torn!
Quinkin
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Quinkin »

Hi Sue,

Wow, you're back skiing. I'm so pleased for you, you've put in the hard work and got deserved rewards.

Good luck with building your endurance and strength.

I'm building up to a Half marathon in August.

The Cure
Quinkin
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Quinkin »

Last weekend I ran the same course as I did in JUly last year.

I ran 21:45 for the 5km, and improvement of 3 minutes.

I am currently running 60km a week, including a 20km run. All without knee pain. I still use McConnell taping to run, and am vigilant with quad and glute strengthening.
Last edited by Quinkin on Tue May 12, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Cure
Quinkin
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Quinkin »

Since May I have continued running 50-60km a week. Had a bout of shin splints, but have completely recovered.

race results include:

June 7th 2009 40:35 Macleay Valley Marathon 10km (9.5km) 19th/156 4th/19 45-49 Age Group
July 5th 2009 42:00 for the Southern Cross University 10km race 229th/5900 7th/196 45-49 Age Group
August 9th 2009 61:34 in the City to Surf 14km race. 1533rd/62626 84th/2483 45-49 Age Group. First time I've run in this race since 1985.

I've entered my first Half Marathon since 1983, on the 30th August.
Last edited by Quinkin on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Cure
Smurf
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by Smurf »

Congratulations! That's just great that you've done so much.

Today, I ran for the first time in 2+ months, after severely dislocating my patella while running on June 2 while training for my 8th marathon. I felt great, but tired while running, although my knees are a bit sore now. I"m not surprised since I did 10 MILES today...I'm so proud of myself. :)
Quinkin
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Quinkin »

Great going Smurf, ten miles that's huge for your first run! Had you been cross training in the intervening 2 months. Good luck with that 8th Marathon

I did the same course that was the title for this thread in 21:12. So I have improved three and a half minutes since last July.

The Cure

Return to “Your success stories”