Gym equipment for vmo strengthening?

General questions about exercises, stretching, gaining range of motion, handling pain and swelling.Also braces, mobility aids, sleeping aids, shoes.
caroline8899
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Gym equipment for vmo strengthening?

Post by caroline8899 »

can anyone suggest the best gym equipment for vmo strengthening? I was thinking to buy something for home either exercise bike, cross trainer or stepper so dont know which would be the most useful thanks
25 years of  regular dislocations LK and RK
LR  RK june 2008
LR LK to be arranged
heather_rae
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: Gym equipment for vmo strengthening?

Post by heather_rae »

Caroline:

Are you working with a PT? Just asking because the bike was banned for me because of patellofemoral problems.To make a long story short, I have been doing exercises which are supposed to strengthen quads for one year, and am just now getting results. My VMO is still very mushy.

Quad exercises, as I have found the best results in working the VMO are: ball squeezes, short arc quads with 2lb. ankle weight, wall squats, heel touches off 2 inch step (this one hurts), leg press machine, quad slide board, stair climber, and theraband exercises that tie the legs together with the band while in a semi-squat position, you walk sideways, each way. Hope this helps because that end of the vastus medialis can be fussy to "wake up". Good Luck!

Heather
5/10/07- Comminuted-20 frag., displaced L patella Fx
5/15/07- ORIF L patella, Bledsoe brace, crutches
7/07- PT 3X/week
8/07- Brace off, ambulate without crutches
9/27/07- Hardware removal, MUA, crutches x 8 wks 
6/08- J-brace for lateral maltracking, Cont. PT
8/08- Referred to soft tissue OS
dm
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by dm »

I've had the therapist use a tens unit to get the vmo working along with the exercises, and once it got "woke up" then they quit using it. helped a lot, also helped target the lateral quads some too when those were being cranky.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.
JoKneeBroke
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by JoKneeBroke »

PT used biofeedback to get my brain engaging the VMO properly. It buzzed when I used it more. Walked in a squat position on a lot of squishy stuff and a squishy type balance beam in a squat position. Was to mentally work to engage it and make the machine buzz more and louder. Then same things Heather mentioned - ball squeezes, heel touches off a 2 inche step, a pilates leg step machine. I haven't been on a stair stepper yet but I think I'm rebuilding it when I use the treadmill and tilt it up at an incline. Also I'm to walk on the treadmill frontwards, backwards, and sideways and do a lot of walking in PT squatting as if the ceiling is lower. Think I'm still in a state of rebuilding it - this is after a patella fracture on May 3rd.
caroline8899
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by caroline8899 »

thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I have to be careful with what exercises I do because I'm at risk of dislocating - the problem exists in both knees. I've also got severe osteoarthritis so squatting is painful. I will take more advice from my PT.
25 years of&nbsp; regular dislocations LK and RK
LR&nbsp; RK june 2008
LR LK to be arranged
heather_rae
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by heather_rae »

Caroline:

Good luck with PT. I would ask as a precautionary about the bike. My first PT had me doing it, but PT #2 forbids it. I can only work at 45 degrees maximum for flexion exercises (leg-press, wall squats, etc) for the same problem (severe OA and maltracking). He said kneeling was out of the question right now, too. As if I could actually, anyway!! Seems like once the VMO is dead, you may as well just bury it. Just kidding!! Really, it just takes a long time sometimes as we all can agree with.

Heather
5/10/07- Comminuted-20 frag., displaced L patella Fx
5/15/07- ORIF L patella, Bledsoe brace, crutches
7/07- PT 3X/week
8/07- Brace off, ambulate without crutches
9/27/07- Hardware removal, MUA, crutches x 8 wks&nbsp;
6/08- J-brace for lateral maltracking, Cont. PT
8/08- Referred to soft tissue OS

Return to “General rehab issues and pain problems”