Patella Fracturers; success with stairs ? walking ?

Tibial plateau fractures, femoral fractures, fractured patella
chandu
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Patella Fracturers; success with stairs ? walking ?

Post by chandu »

Hi,

I broke my patella into 2 pieces 2 months and a week ago, and am in rehab now ( I have 2 big screws). I can walk around at home but have a extremely weird feeling in the knee of like patella going the wrong way instead of just up and down. I don't know if its just a feeling due to weak muscles or something else is wrong. When walking with the brace I don't seem to experience the weird feeling. Did any one else have similar experiences with walking ?

Also, I was wondering if anyone of you had some success with getting up and down the stairs ? If so, then roughly how many sessions of physiotherapy did it take you to do so ? I tried climbing the stairs up and down but at present I feel, there is no way I can ever do that. With the bad leg bent, putting the body weight on it to get down seems impossible. Getting up can still be managed with a little pain. Any experiences ? Please Share.

- chandu
7th Oct, 07 - Patella fracture
10th Oct, 07 - Surgery (2 screws),Brace,0 ROM,no wt. bearing,Crutches
15th Nov,07 - 30 ROM allowed, wt. bearing
19th Nov, 07 - PT, ROM 63 Deg
14th Dec, 07 - ROM > 100 Deg, 1 Crutch, Brace
26th Dec, 07 - ROM 139, Walking w/o Br. & Crutch
20th Feb, 08 - Walking normal
lizl
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: Patella Fracturers; success with stairs ? walking ?

Post by lizl »

Chandu,

Welcome to the board. You are doing fine for 9 weeks post injury. Yes, things will be weird for several months more. Discuss the weird feeling with your physical therapist. Have him/her assess whether the patella is tracking correctly.

You probably don't want to hear it, but stairs take a long time. January, 2008, will be my 5 year anniversary, and I still feel challenged by going DOWN stairs. Only in the last few months have I been secure enough to go down without one-stepping it. And I even go down sometimes without holding onto the railing (still not a good idea, as my "bad" knee is not as reliable as the other one). I tell kyou this, not to depress you about the long road ahead, but to reassure you that you will be able to tackle the stairs! Don't despair, but do be patient with yourself.
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March
kimmyxs
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by kimmyxs »

I am a year and a half post fracture. I had two large screws as well no wires. It was 12 weeks before I got out of the brace - a really long time, but worth it! I do remember being very aware of what the knee was feeling like, but I think that you notice things because your are more focused on it. As Liz said, check with your PT. It took me until last April to feel comfortable walking without much of a limp. Going down stairs is still problematic. I can go down one foot over the other, but only if they are swallow. If the stairs are deep or steep forget it! I cannot run, but I can do almost everything else, sometimes with a bit of pain due to arthritis, but the swelling is almost completely gone!
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl
DarkAlleyE
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by DarkAlleyE »

After a year I'm still a one-stepper - like a toddler!

Emily
December 5, 2006 Slipped on steps, fractured patella - nine pieces. Ouch!
December 8, 2006: Surgeon wired it together.
February 6, 2007: Doc says it's healed!
February 14, 2007: Started rehab, 48 deg. rom.
October 2007, 90-95 deg., stuck! Rehab not working, considering surgery. Use cane.
chandu
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by chandu »

Hey thanks Emily, Kim and Liz for your responses. Ok I see. I will ask my PT about the walking part but getting to stairs is probably far away. Yeah a little sad to know.

- chandu
cuz
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by cuz »

I never posted much but have been reading this forum since I broke patella in July 2005..of course didn't find the forum until October...but I still like to check in and read how everyone is doing. But I thought I would post on this message because so many times I have read that people who have problems with stairs can usually go up okay but not down. I am the opposite, I can go down but I am not good at going up and it is faster for me to one step it up. I wonder why others can go up better. My repair work was also different then most. I have only read one other person who's pattella was tied and wrapped with suture thread, rather than wire and screws. Dr. said pattella was in too many pieces and nothing to screw too????? Anyway I did not have the suture thread removed so that could be part of problem, I don't know. I can feel the knots of the thread and can't kneel on it very well but I CAN WALK and that I am thankful for.. Good Luck to you it will all happen for you soon. Water on the floor still freaks me out after all this time...
Shine
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Shine »

I can go down normal but it hurts. It has been 1 year exactly. Going up is not problem.
splaw
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by splaw »

Hi,

I agree that 2 months is still very early in the recovery process. I didn't walk on my leg until months after fracture. The first few weeks of walking would be unnatural when going down stairs. For me at 5 months I still go down stairs using handrails or using my good leg to assist like going tip toe so that I don't have to bend the bad knee that much. Shallow steps are much easier on the knee. Goodluck on your recovery. You are already recovering and progressing very well.

Law
Commutated Patella(6 pieces) -16 Jul 07
ORIF-(wires & Pins) 17 Jul
Discharged 21 Jul.
24 Aug -ROM 60 Deg
20 Sept-Fragment shifted
11 Oct -Removed brace,FWB, ROM 60,
7 Dec - ROM 120
uufan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by uufan »

i found out that it is faster to go downstairs backwards, than to one step them.
3/16/07
R-TPF+PF+tibial midshaft+ankle in car wrack
3/21/07IM nail, plate, wire
5/3/07immoblizer off
ROM40-7
5/31/07PWB 65-7
6/18/0790-10
6/28/07WBAT
7/9/07100-10
7/26/07ok to drive
OS told me to loose crutches
8/8/07lost cane 100-5
OS said that i will never walk independemtly(not true)
chandu
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by chandu »

yeah thats true. Going down backwards or just walking backwards is much easier.

Met my OS on 28th. I still have pain on lower part of the knee cap when the leg goes from straight to bent. Even without any load on the leg, at a certain angle, it starts hurting so much. I asked the OS. He kind of ignored me and said yeah these things take time. Well...atleast I can walk. Thanks to everyone here! Appreciate the replies. Summer, it seems running is the only thing thats still to come for you? My PT said that running and going downstairs are the 2 last things.
na06003
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by na06003 »

Hey there.
I am about five years post-op from my right patella fracture. I had three dissolvable pins put in. I was immobilized for about 3 weeks before I could even start PT. I was on crutches for 2 months and in PT for about 5 months.
As far as tracking, I don't remember having quite that feeling, so I would def ask your PT about it.
And stairs did take me a long time to conquer. I do remember I could go up before I could go down. I think it was about three months before I could go up and a bit longer before going down. Now I feel plenty strong enough to go up and down but it bothers me because my patella grinds and clicks everytime I bend it for the next stair. My OS says this isn't a problem as long as it doesn't cause pain.

Hope hearing others' stories helps ya out! It'll be a long haul, but as long as you put effort into rehab, you'll be fine in the end :)
Good luck :)
March 2003- Fractured right patella; pins and lateral release
Dec 28 2007- Fulkerson osteotomy scheduled for left knee

Return to “Bone breaks around the knee”