Osmic Acid Synovectomy

Lavage, debridement, synovectomy
lollipop320
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Osmic Acid Synovectomy

Post by lollipop320 »

My right knee has been very swolllen for just over 2 year. After having several tests and xrays no cause could be found. I had 3 steroid injections , the longest relief lasted 1 week then was given sulphasalazine (for 4 mths) then given injection, it only lasted 6 weeks not the intended 6 month. 5 weeks ago I had a chemical synovectomy. All of the fluid was drawn off I then had an injection of anesthetic, then pain killer, then Osmic acid and finally another steroid injection. The osmic acid should have burnt off the lining of my knee which the Docs think is getting inflamed and thus producing too much fluid. I had to have complete bedrest for 24 hours with a splint on. my knee slowly swoll up for the first 8 hours untill the skin was that tight I though it would burst but this was the most pain I was in after being given painkillers throughout the day. I was discharged form hospital 36 hours after proccedure and told to rest it as much as possible. I was up on my feet walking normally after 15 days. The only problem I had was that the swelling did not go right down untill after having another steroid injection 9 days after the initall treatment. The additonal steroid injection was needed because the swelling stopped going down after 4 days when it shoud have kept going down.

I have to keep taking the tablets foe about 6 months and hope the swelling stops down. Apparently I am a bit of a test case as the proccedure is done very rarely where I live.

I thought this might help anyone who is going to have the Osmic acid injection as I could find out very little about it before I had it done. I don't know how long it is going to last Docs say its a matter of wait as see
lollipop320
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: Osmic Acid Synovectomy

Post by lollipop320 »

This to let any interesed parties know that the above proccedure has apprently not worked according to plan. After 6 weeks my knee started to swell back up. I am waiting to see dr/clinical nurse later this week but after phone conversation today with nurse it seems the swelling had gone down because of steroid injection, she seems to think that the linning of my knee is too thick to be removed by osmic injection and that i will have to have it done via surgery whilst having arthroscopy. we have to wait and see what happens.
lollipop320
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by lollipop320 »

for the person who PM me, sorry for some reason I am unable to reply to PM's. However I can tell you I had this procedure at my local NHS hospital in the UK. It did not work due to the lining of my knee being too thick and had to have a regular synovectomy some months later at the same hospital but its still an on going concern
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vickster »

You need 20 messages to be able to PM on the forum (in place to deter spammers). You can use the Games Room threads to get your post count up :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Return to “KNEE ARTHRITIS - Clearing inflamed joint lining”