synovium regrowth?

Lavage, debridement, synovectomy
beegee
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

synovium regrowth?

Post by beegee »

Hi everyone!
This is my first post ever, however, I have been reading for months now and have been educated beyond what I ever expected. I recently had my 1st knee surgery in Nov. '05. I had a synovectomy, medial plica removal, fat pad removal, patellar chondroplasty, and medial tibial chondroplasty. I went through PT for 3 weeks and actually did very well. I have continued PT at home and have been icing every night since the surgery. I have a full time job, so this is the only time I have to ice. I was out of work for 3 weeks. I still have some swelling, but it is gradually going down. In the past 2 weeks suddenly it has been very difficult to do my squats without a lot of pain. I had made it up to 100, now I am down to 20 if I'm lucky. It hurts more now to bend my knee and can't bend it as far. I haven't seen my OS since this has occurred so I haven't been able to discuss it with him, that's why I'm calling all knee geeks. I'm wondering that maybe since the swelling has been going down more I'm just feeling everything more inside my knee. It really feels rough. I realize that with the synovectomy and fat pad removal my cushion is gone. I guess my main question for you all is how long does it take for your synovium to grow back? And is this going to be a good thing or is it going to be a bad thing? I would greatly appreciate any input on this that anyone can offer. Thanks so much.

beegee
smeagol
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Re: synovium regrowth?

Post by smeagol »

I read somewhere it takes about 5 or more years for it to grow back if it was a total synovectomy, i had a partial and it never made any difference to the pain, if anything im worse now, i think they have ignored the actual problem and are just guessing. Yeah, so the synovium shouldnt grow back for a few years, so if the limitation of the squatting isnt something you were warned about then it might be worth checking with the OS to see what they think.
Good luck with your recovery
Charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem.  And I'm only 20!

Return to “KNEE ARTHRITIS - Clearing inflamed joint lining”