Osgood Schlatters

Chronic inflammation of the lump below the kneecap.
vix
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Re: Osgood Schlatters

Post by vix »

He had his operation friday 13th may last year up until a month ago he has been virtually housebound,he has not attended school for 2 years he has home tutoring as he is too ill with either the pain or the side effects of the codeine and he has a lot of trouble walking at all.,but two weeks ago he started walking without crutches for the first time in 18 months .He still has a lot of pain and cannot walk far at all but it is a sign that things may be improving
shelbelly04
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by shelbelly04 »

Well come to find out, It's not Osgood schlatters that's causing all my pain!! It's an enormous ossicle shredding my tendon on TOP of my osgood!! Surgery in september!! YIPEEE finally some answers! I do indeed have adult OSD, however, it''s the ossicle that's killin me. Not sure how bad the surgery will be, but they tell me that it's 6 weeks of resting, and I'll feel near pain free!! I am so excited!! 32 years later, I finally have some answers! Let me know if anyone on here has ever had ossicle surgery thanks-Michelle ;D
tigergirl
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by tigergirl »

Niki - don't worry to much, but be sure to do what the Doc recommends, My sister also has OS, she is now 33 years old and is also an athlete. She currently plays and multiple B League women's softball teams and well as plays of 3 volleyball teams. If you keep on it OS will not slow you down for long
14 yr old Son fracture patella 7/7/5 crashing his bike, repaired with 2 screws, screw removal 8/3/6
Kneemo
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by Kneemo »

Hi Nicki, I have just quallified as a Five Element Acupuncturist and during my training have seen many so called "uncurable" ailments cured. I had major surgery on my spine and was able to come off pain killers after three days (which my surgeon was amazed by) and I was fit for collage in two weeks. Traditional Acupuncture is the ballancing of Chi, which is the life force energy that created us in the first place. This energy can become blocked and as a result, stagnating energy in particular areas can cause weakness in the body and the unblocking of this can result in the rebalancing or recreating of the damaged parts of the mind, body and spirit. Myself or any other Acupuncturist cannot promise this will aloways be the case, but in the hundreds of patients I have seen over the last three years, very few have gone away unhappy and many have had at least, relief from their pain. There are many types of acupuncture, but the best results I have seen have come from Five Element Acupuncture, whose roots are at the beginings of all Chinese medicine. Acupuncture is not painful as it may appear (certainly not as painful as your knee sounds), the needles used are very fine and there is just a little discomfort, I treat my children who are 5,8 and 9 and they never get Ill. I hope this has been of some help to you and I wish you all the best.

Much Love Kneedeep.
Ruptured ligaments R/K including 4 arthroscopies leading to arthritis (1982)
Shattered tibial plateau including 18 assorted operations leading to Arthrodesis (fusion) of the left Knee. Now awaiting possible amputation.
Prolapsed disc's L4 and L5 now fused and scaffolded with nuts and bolts.
mrs_c_west
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by mrs_c_west »

hey everyone my name is caroline this is my first post i am 23 almost 24 and i have had os since i was 12 years old i was told by my dr i would grow out of it and well i have still got it has anyone had surgary to help them live with os :)
c j west
vix
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by vix »

My son had an operation for his OSD they called it a forage and they operated on both knees at the same time as he has it bilaterally
laxplayer5
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by laxplayer5 »

what is the rehab like for that have knee tendinitis doc said might help
December 01-Chromadic Pattela tracking problem
January 06- Tear in Patellar Tendon (no surgery
Febuary 06-Paralysis Sprees gone now
March 06- knee tendinitis in L and R
August 06- suspected meniscus tear
vix
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by vix »

it was a bloody nightmare but he was also plastered hip to toe on one leg to immobolise him.He had both knees done at once so had trouble weight bearing and standing for a fair while .the operation was unsuccessful and we regret him having it done but the surgeon said 50/50 chance so thought it was worth a shot
mniz
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by mniz »

I was diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter when I was about 10 years old. I played premier soccer for 12 years growing up and the sport had a toll on my knees. After every game I would have to apply ice and heat, and would occassionally have bruises the size of baseballs around the tuberosity of both knees. I now have very prominent tibial tuberosities on both knees and still suffer from pain here and there. It has prevented me from running and even kneeling. Even sitting "indian style" for lengthy periods of time can bring about some aches. There is the occassional pain and swelling with exercise but usually a few ibuprofens will aid in the relief. Rainy and damp weather can also trigger pain. The doctors say that it never really goes away, but is it normal to still be feeling tenderness and mild pain as an adult, some 12 years after being diagnosed?
Last edited by mniz on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulgrech
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by paulgrech »

Hi Nicki,

Meniscus tears heal when they are in the vascular peripheral third but most are not and most will not heal. They can't be repaired either so if they are causing symptoms the tear is tidied up-like trimming the edge of a torn fingernail.

I would be careful about going under the knife though because your initial problem sounded like anterior knee pain if O-S disease was suspected so I don't think the meniscus accounts for this. In young people there is often high signal in the meniscus on MRI normally which can be misdiagnosed as a tear.

Regards Paul
www.uk-radiology.co.uk
chelsea21
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by chelsea21 »

hey nicki,

i had knee surgeries this last year. along with a ruptured acl, i also had a pretty bad meniscal tear where it actually folded in half. it has been nine months since that surgery, and i was told my they both have healed fine. the only problem i have is with scar tissue. i know some people who have gone through with the surgery for a torn meniscus. they all said it was painful recovery but it worked. i hope that whatever you chose to do, it works out.
RocketRon
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by RocketRon »

Hi Guys

I also had Osgoods and fortunate i rested from sports for about 4months and it cleared up. I was also recommended to try cabbage leaves on the knees and it definately helped me and reduced some of the swelling. Some of you should try this.

good luck
mybodyis90mindis5
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by mybodyis90mindis5 »

How is Osgoods different from Juvenile Joint Disease? What is Juvenile Joint Disease? I'm massively confused...as this sounds like something I've gone through, but did not have diagnosed....but seem to have the same problem in my back...
vix
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by vix »

osgood schlatters disease only affects the growth plates below the knees
nicolasian
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by nicolasian »

Hey it does get better with time. I had it when I was 12, I had an immobilising plaster for sometime, when I was 14 I had a procedure done to reshape the inside of the knee cap to stop it rubbing on bone and then I had a lateral release. It was painful and was out of action for a while but then I had nothing done then for 22 yrs and was back to normal with sport.

Once you stop growing it does get better. Look at this website:-

http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/food_fit ... sgood.html

Return to “Osgood Schlatter's Disorder”