injections for Grade 3 and 4?

Steroid injections, lubricants (eg Synvisc)
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Re: injections for Grade 3 and 4?

Post by vickster »

Perhaps it's a spinal nerve issue if it's suddenly caused weakness with no clear injury to knee? How's your back?
Discuss with GP and ask for urgent referral. Indeed, ask to see GP in person - that is still possible if clinically required.
If the loss of power is as bad as you say I'd even be considering a trip to A&E to rule out something very serious.
Last edited by vickster on Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone
Petal
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Petal »

Thank you. no back issues but hip/ankle/toes have mildly joined in on the pain thing last few days but thats likely because I am walking so badly
I am hoping I can persuade him to have a physical look at it but our surgery is a vaccine hub so its very tricky at the moment as they are cutting out all none urgent physical appts & as its been going on for weeks I can't see them viewing it as urgent
shall try though!

local walk in clinic again is just for urgent so not really option
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vickster »

Personally, I'd say severe uncontrollable pain is urgent, even in Covid times, but you know the local situation. Hopefully the GP can refer you quickly, not least for an x ray and physio
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone
Petal
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Petal »

success!
I spoke to my own GP this morning via phone appt. He has agreed to give me a steroid injection and refer me back to Orthopaedic Hospital.
OK not till next Monday- a week away for jab and no additional pain meds put up but I can lump it for a week.
He didn't want to do it as said if ortho want to do surgery it will mean can't have for 3 months but I pointed out its unlikely I will even get an appointment with them for 3 months with the current wait times and if need anything doing it will be probably next year so he agreed. such a relief after the practice told me last week they weren't doing any injections.
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vickster »

Good stuff.
You're lucky to have a GP's surgery that does steroid injections!
Whereabouts are you if you're at an Ortho hospital? Stanmore? Birmingham? Chester?
Petal
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Petal »

I'm in Birmingham so it has its own Orthopaedic hospital on its own site. and its not very far from where I live. I am very lucky in that.

My GP is pretty good- he has given me a steroid shot in this knee before that worked so I am confident he knows what he is doing.

To be honest I have let it go on too long- I was thinking this time last year how bad the knee was getting (and its now a LOT worse then last March) and that I needed it looking at again but with covid and having a vulnerable husband I was not prepared to go near a doctor or hospital- now he has had his vaccine I am more confident about going.
Petal
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Petal »

O Happy day! Just got back from GP, referred to the Orthopaedic Hospital done, Steroid injection in knee done, and I also got my covid vaccine booked for Friday!

Taxi there and back as can't walk 20 foot without it kicking off but with any luck in a few days time the steroid will do its magic and will be a lot better. Just got to go easy for a few days to allow the magic to do its thing but so much happier :)
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vickster »

Has the steroid injection given you some relief? :)
Petal
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Petal »

Yes :) swelling much reduced. still subluxating and pain at back of knee but a lot less of both, Reduced it by a good 80% I'd say so very pleased.
I am going to try a very short dog walk a bit later , will wear knee brace and take it slow but will be lovely to get out

Return to “KNEE ARTHRITIS - Injections into the joint”