Patellar dislocation

Post here if you are new to the board and not sure where to post your question. Or if your question or comment is of a general nature. The KNEEguru may move it later to a more relevant section if necessary.
brownna2
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Patellar dislocation

Post by brownna2 »

What are the potential causes of ongoing pain and swelling following a traumatic patellar dislocation, even if no bony damage is observed on X-rays?
tammel
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: Patellar dislocation

Post by tammel »

Not an expert but I tihnk an x-ray is just going to show a fracture or broken bones and also position of bones.

Pain could be from injured ligaments (like the medial patellofemoral ligament) and tendons, damaged articular cartilage, bone bruise, medial and lateral meniscus tears etc.

You usually need an MRI to see soft tissue injuries like that.
Last edited by tammel on Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
A_sure_sky
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by A_sure_sky »

brownna2 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:47 am What are the potential causes of ongoing pain and swelling following a traumatic patellar dislocation, even if no bony damage is observed on X-rays?
When did your dislocation occur? Knee dislocation is a traumatic injury and it takes the body several weeks if not months to recover from it. I've dislocated both knees and at each time the X-rays did not show a fracture. Subsequent X-rays of each knee showed a fracture had taken place so I wonder in my case if the swelling might have obscured the fracture? Perhaps you might have a similar issue? I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.
The_KNEEguru
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The_KNEEguru »

@A_sure_sky - I am just checking to be sure we are discussing the same thing. You refer to dislocating your knees - did you mean a knee dislocation or a patellar dislocation?

/KNEEnotes/knee-dictionary/dislocation-knee
/KNEEnotes/knee-dictionary/dislocation-patella

Return to “GENERAL KNEE QUESTIONS and comments (good for new threads)”