Knee advice - doctors unhelpful

Post here if you are new to the board and not sure where to post your question. Or if your question or comment is of a general nature. The KNEEguru may move it later to a more relevant section if necessary.
ladybug1420
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Knee advice - doctors unhelpful

Post by ladybug1420 »

Hi everyone,

I know I need to consult a medical professional for advice but that isn't really getting me anywhere so would appreciate any advice.

I hurt my knee about 3 weeks ago after hyperextending it at gymnastics, couldn't weight bear and swelled straight away so went to A&E who X-rayed (no fractures) and sent me away with crutches and a referral to the knee clinic. I saw them (about 10 days after the injury) who said it was too early to tell what was going on referred me for physio and will see me again end of April and "consider" doing an MRI then. They also wanted me to come off the crutches ASAP. Long story short I rang them because I can't get off the crutches due to pain and instability but they made out like I was being dramatic and just said wait for my next appointment.

Long story short is there anything I can do? I'm desperate to get off the crutches. I also don't have any sort of support or brace, is there anything I could get to help with this so I can get off the crutches?

Thank you in advance for any advice :)
The_KNEEguru
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Knee advice - doctors unhelpful

Post by The_KNEEguru »

See /KNEEnotes/knee-dictionary/hyperextension-injury

If there is a soft tissue injury such as a damaged PCL or posterolateral corner, the X-ray may tell you about bones but won't reveal a lot about soft tissues. If you are experiencing instability, then a PCL brace may be helpful while awaiting further investigations, eg https://www.ossur.com/en-gb/bracing-and ... ebound-pcl

Return to “GENERAL KNEE QUESTIONS and comments (good for new threads)”