Knee locking/catching/popping after ACL reconstruction

Wound problems, infection, external scarring, inflammation, nerve problems, RSD, synovial chondromatosis
Krisztina
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Knee locking/catching/popping after ACL reconstruction

Post by Krisztina »

Hi everyone,

10 weeks ago, I had an ACL reconstruction surgery. Ever since the operation, I'm having a locking/catching sensation inside the knee (below the arthroscopic incisions), when I start to bend my knee from straight position (between 10-20 degrees).

I'm getting a sharp pain in the front half of the knee after which it's very hard to bend the knee further. I can release it by pushing my kneecap down, then the skin pops out, the pressure is gone and I can bend my knee. I have full extension and almost full flexion, and I have already regained some muscle mass. But walking is frustrating.

When I'm walking, I'm feeling a pressure and rubbing in my knee as I step forward (swing leg straight) almost all the time. I feel as if a capsule is floating in my knee, which is occasionally stuck between my bones and block my knee completely.

It's completely irregular and I have no control over when it happens. However, I've gotten really good at predicting when it's going to happen and trying to avoid it, for example by lowering myself carefully when I'm about to sit. If I move it quickly and don't catch it in time, I can feel a pop and eventually the knee will fall in the right 'track'. Actually, the more pressure I have on my knee in the straight position the more it locks when I start to bend it.

It's really annoying not being in control of what's going on inside the knee and not being able to trust it. I already tried with cortisol injection, but it didn't work for me. Otherwise, my knee looks completely normal, not swollen and the MRI didn't show anything, both the ACL graft and the meniscus are intact.

The next step would be to send a camera in to see what's going on but I'm afraid it will cause further damage.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer any advice?
pinkpowerranger
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: Knee locking/catching/popping after ACL reconstruction

Post by pinkpowerranger »

Hey, wondering if you have an update to this. I've had the exact same symptoms after my BPTB ACLr 9 months ago, got to full ROM but the symptoms flared even more around 10 weeks in. Got medial plica removal and anterior interval release 6 months ago which helped me regain the ROM I had lost. The pain and tracking issues have returned except this time I have not (yet) lost ROM. The scar tissue has returned in my fat pads.
scott41
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by scott41 »

Is there any update now? I also need information about this

fethiye activities
The_KNEEguru
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The_KNEEguru »

It might be something like a 'loose body' - /KNEEnotes/knee-dictionary/loose-body rather than adhesions....

A second look arthroscopy is not usually a big procedure, although the irrigation fluid causes swelling and rehab will still be necessary...

Return to “Soft Tissue Healing Problems - General”