Locked knee due to meniscus tear, should I do ACL recon separately or at the same time?

Tears, trimming, meniscectomy, meniscal repair, meniscal transplant, synthetic menisci, meniscal cyst
Twilightshore
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Locked knee due to meniscus tear, should I do ACL recon separately or at the same time?

Post by Twilightshore »

42 years old, female.
I have a locked knee and I cannot straighten the leg 100% (can do probably 80%) due to a bucket handle tear of the left medial meniscus (from a yoga incident at the end of Nov 2023). I had injured the knee in Dec 2022 after jumping off a chair to a wet floor, the knee was locked immediately, cannot straighten it, but miraculously it was recovered within 1-2 weeks. I can straighten my leg with no issue. In retrospect, my knee might be aggravated by this incident and got worse in Nov 2023.

I also have a ACL rupture, a chronic ACL, due to a car incident about 25 years ago. My surgeon has offered me to do meniscus tear operation , or meniscus tear operation with ACL reconstruction at the same time. My doctor said he does not favor meniscus repair in my situation....

I'm worried that since my leg cannot reach full Range of Motion, due to the meniscus tear, if I were to have ACL reconstruction at the same time, it seems my inability to full Range of Motion pre-operation will complicate the situation post-operation. What if my knee is stiff and cannot reach full Range of Motion after ACL, as I cannot reach full ROM before the operation...In the article below, it mentioned some examples.

I read an article that the surgeon designed a 2-stage procedure:
https://chnwebapp-auc-prod01.azurewebsi ... d-meniscus
From the article, it says "Following simultaneous anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction and repair or removal of a locked bucket-handle meniscus tear, patients were having difficulty regaining full range of motion (ROM). “After surgery, the patient had a stable knee, but it was stiff and not functional,” says K. Donald Shelbourne, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at Shelbourne Knee Center."

I was thinking of doing the same as per the article mentioned: regain the full range of motion first by doing meniscus tear repair/or cleanup, then after gaining strength on hamstring, proceed with the ACL reconstruction.
At the same time, I'm also worried while waiting for the ACL recon, the knee might get hurt.
I need another month to talk to the surgeon again. But if I decides to go with the meniscus tear first, I can do the surgery in two weeks...
Do you have any suggestions?
Twilightshore
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: Locked knee due to meniscus tear, should I do ACL recon separately or at the same time?

Post by Twilightshore »

Update: I have consulted with a doctor and I have received his suggestion of doing both procedures at the same time. I'm going to adopt this method.

Return to “Meniscus”