Cementless TKA Thoughts?

Post here if you are new to the board and not sure where to post your question. Or if your question or comment is of a general nature. The KNEEguru may move it later to a more relevant section if necessary.
robintinch
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Cementless TKA Thoughts?

Post by robintinch »

I am going with a cementless TKA right knee on March 28, 2024 in Boston at New England Baptist Hospital. I have looked at the Zimmer Biomet Persona knee but am right now leaning towards a J&J Synthes. Obviously, my surgeon will make the final decision. The surgeon is a friend and we have spoken about how to return to "full normal" as fast as possible.

Has anyone had experience with recovery with cemented v cementless TKA? There are a couple of journal articles talking about how cementless takes a bit longer to fully "embed" since it relies on porous metal shafts to allow for bone growth to set the shaft in place. I am not finding a lot of information about post-surgery recovery behavior for cemented v cementless.

For the record, I am 57, 6'1", 230 pounds, generally fit and very active. I cannot even run across a street now without tears in my eyes. I have been doing significant gym work with a trainer as I lead up to surgery for overall strength, agility, and balance training. My theory is that the stronger one goes into a TKA the faster one can recover. My surgeon approves of my gym work and of course says feel free to lose some more pounds...

How much exercise should I plan to do right after surgery? I have designated outpatient so will return home that afternoon. For cememtless, take surgery day and day after to lay low? Push hard as soon as home? I have the expected things set like ice machine, crutches, house arranged, patient wife, etc. I think BoneSmart tends to be more on the side of taking things a little more easily post-surgery? My surgeon friend, as one might expect, is all for going hard core day zero. I would appreciate any thoughts and am happy to talk about different knees and devices. I work in the medical device industry so may be a bit aggressive/optimistic - "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!"
The_KNEEguru
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cementless TKA Thoughts?

Post by The_KNEEguru »

I hope you get some helpful replies, but meanwhile here is a paper to read through - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6641115/ . The disclosure suggests there might be a bit of bias, but perhaps it will be useful.
robintinch
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: Cementless TKA Thoughts?

Post by robintinch »

The_KNEEguru wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:11 pm I hope you get some helpful replies, but meanwhile here is a paper to read through - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6641115/smash karts . The disclosure suggests there might be a bit of bias, but perhaps it will be useful.
Thanks for your suggest. I'm still waiting for more replies.

Return to “GENERAL KNEE QUESTIONS and comments (good for new threads)”