Fulkerson

To let us know how you are getting on for the first days and first few weeks after your operation or injury. We would be interested in knowing about pain levels and meds, dressings, using the CPM machine, swelling, icing regimes, mobility, exercise regimes, bathing and travelling issues, etc.
gigimom4
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: Fulkerson

Post by gigimom4 »

I had fulkerson done about 5 years ago and I have to say it was done because the doctor didn't want to do a knee replacement b/c he thought I was too young and that this would be the better option .... WOW I wish I had done a little more homework. Now this is only my story - and everyone is different but ....it was the WORST experience of my life. The doctor knew at some point a TKR would be needed but refused because I was only 42. I had my knee replacement done in November 2015 and recovery was MUCH EASIER. (except for the fact that I fell down my stairs and broke my femur - causing a bit of a setback).

I was just talking about this to my husband today - it was a wasted surgery and a waste of 8 weeks off work and such intense pain that I don't even remember the first post-op week. I was told it would be about 2 weeks off work - in reality it took me 8 to get back to work.

Not trying to talk you out of it but please make sure you have exhausted ALL avenues. I had no relief - in actuality it caused more issues, 3 more surgeries multiple visits to rehab and all I really needed was a total replacement!

Good Luck and I wish you all the best!
runfar
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by runfar »

Jellybean-
Any updates in your progress??

Gigimom4-
Thanks for the info -- I am definitely worried a repair surgery could make me worse ---nothing like a LR to cause the most crippling injury I have ever dealt with -- I do not want to lose what tiny bit of normal function I have left. TKR is something I would like to avoid -- I have good cartilage -- just the LR has screwed up the function and structure. LR is a "destroy" type of surgery -- and a repair of a destruction definitely seems high risk.
Jellybean
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by Jellybean »

I'm about 18 months post op now and have gone down hill and cross country skiing without issue. I don't feel like my knee slows me down at all anymore. I'm totally back to a healthy and very active life. I'm starting training for the half marathon next week to give myself lots of time ( about 6 months). I'll take it easy and am very willing to downgrade to a 5 km if my knee doesn't seem to like the longer distance. I'll post updates on how it goes.
11/12 MRI dx damage to articular cartilage with patellar mal-tracking
3/13 right knee lateral release, meniscetomy, chondroplasty of patella
09/13 Knee condition deteriorated. 3rd round Intense physical therapy
08/14 Fulkerson Osteotomy
wanna_run
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by wanna_run »

Hey Jellybean, thanks for the update.

I am a distance runner and tennis player (well, I was) who is having the Fulkerson and lateral release on June 7. We've exhausted all the other options, and I'm terrified that I'll never be able to run long distances again. I'm not a candidate for any cartilage grafting or implantation due to the cartilage loss being so diffuse. They've told me that I should be able to run 5Ks with no problem and maybe up to 8 miles if I'm willing to tolerate some pain. For me, that was heartbreaking... I love marathons and ultras, especially trail ones.

Runfar, like you, running is not just exercise, it's my social center, so I've been really depressed lately and kind of a shut-in. Even hiking has become too painful, so I just sit around feeling sorry for myself while my friends are out there running and playing.

I'm not afraid of the pain of the surgery or the long recovery or that I'll be worse... I'm afraid that I'll never get to do the races on my bucket list... several marathons and ultras. (Well, I admit I'm afraid of the cost of the PT sessions--those co-pays are going to add up fast.)

So, I am really grateful for your diary and updates. They are giving me some hope, and I will keep checking back to see how you're doing with your half-marathon training!
DaTexanBoy
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by DaTexanBoy »

Awesome! I had a Fulkerson procedure while I was in the military as well at Wilford Hall in San Antonio, but that was years ago. Glad to see you're doing well after the year long rehab.

I didn't have quite the success you did, and just recently got my 8th knee surgery on my left knee at the VA. One of these days it'll get right.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

DaTexanBoy
Jellybean2
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Jellybean2 »

I’m 9 years post op and it seems I’m finally having problems again. I was doing very well for these past 9 years and have been extremely active. June of 2022 I broke my right foot and ankle falling off the top of a ladder. This is the same side as the bad knee. I suspect this is connected. Over the last few months my knee has been progressively getting worse. Right now it’s causing me considerable pain and greatly limiting activity. I didn’t have a new injury to it. It just started hurting one day. Hopefully this passes but I’m very concerned.
Edit to add- I am the original Jellybean. I just forgot my password and no longer have access to the email account that registered the original account.
The_KNEEguru
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The_KNEEguru »

I am sorry to hear that things have gone wrong again, jellybean2. I suppose your gait is changed and putting strain on the whole limb? Have you spoken to an orthotist, who may be able to improve your footware to take into account any gait change?

Return to “Post-op diaries”