Six years post PFPS

If you feel your knee problem has been successfully managed, let us hear about it. Post the full story with the first post - how it started, what symptoms, what you were told, what examinations and tests, what surgery, what type of rehab.
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Re: Six years post PFPS

Post by SuspectDevice »

Update.

Gone backwards a bit as I tried to get back into triathlon. Did one small race, then went downhill from there. Obviously I'm not on top of it yet, but it is easier to live with now I know how to control it better & actually understand what is going on (synovial irritation/inflammation & patella chondromalacia).
L Medial menisectomy 2012
PFPS both knees 2012-2017
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014 (I think this was crap)
2017 - 90+% cured via Dr Dye's research
2018 - MTB crash, busted collarbone & ribs - easy compared to knees!
2021 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, short runs 2x/week, back to short races
James_NZ
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by James_NZ »

What rehab exercises did you begin with? Or did you rest as much as possible to get the pain down in order to remain in your envelope of function?
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by SuspectDevice »

James NZ wrote: What rehab exercises did you begin with? Or did you rest as much as possible to get the pain down in order to remain in your envelope of function?
Hi James

In recent times no real rehab exercises, I just backed off, esp. had to quit running.

I've improved to another level now, doing more regular cycling (usually about 60mins solid 3x/week) and gym work including legs. I can still feel the problem lurking, but much better than it was at it's worse. I use ice & TENS machine now more regularly to settle pain/discomfort.

Thinking of trying to ease back into running in a few months, but if things go south, I'll give it away and just be happy with swim/cycling/gym.

At the start of the nightmare 7yrs ago, I could do no rehab, exercises at all. I just did easy walking for about 15-20mins/day & swimming with no kicking.
2021 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, short runs 2x/week, back to short races
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by SuspectDevice »

Userhere123
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by Userhere123 »

SuspectDevice wrote: Pictures speak louder than words :D

https://youtu.be/l0iu0qVypic
Hi,
I am currently dealing with Patella alta and PFPS.
I have been diagnosed with Patella alta and PFPS 5 months back. I didn't injure anywhere..I don't know how it a started. I just did a new walking routine on the hilly roads in the month of August. I did it for a month. Burning knee pain started in september. Its still the same till today.
I just realised that I didn't do it with a proper shoe. Those shoes were not very supportive and I did walk in the same shoe. Went to an Ortho and had MRI. MRI says that it's patella alta and mild subluxation.
Started PT 3 and a half months back. No improvement even after the PT. I am still doing PT. I still have burning pain and swelling above my knee. What could be the reason for this? What else to do for this condition? I have the same burning pain for last 6 months. It burns whenever I sit down, stand and lying down. i.e legs bent and stretch straight.
I also did dry needling sessions as part of PT. That doesn't help too.. My PT say i need more sessions of dry needling. Also, i need more strengthening exercises as my muscles are so weak.
How many months of PT required for this? I did 3 and a half months of PT. And Pt said,i might need few more months, But i am not getting any improvement from PT. So, i dont know if i should spend more money and go to the PT.

xe2x80x8bxe2x80x8bxe2x80x8bxe2x80x8bxe2x80x8bxe2x80x8bxe2x80x8bWhat to do for this? Any other solutions recommended? How to recover from this? How did you recover from it?
I am suffering from this burning pain for past 6 months. Its been the same burning pain till today. How long does it take to recover? Please help. This burning pain is throughout the day, It pains whenever i sit in a chair,stand for few minutes and while lying down.
How did you recover? Any input is appreciated.
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by SuspectDevice »

8 years now & continuing to improve.

My wife & I are even planning duathlon/triathlon event holidays!

Working from home due to Covid & not having to go to the office each day has also helped improve my mental wellbeing = good for the knees. Made me realise how much I hate office, going to see if I can work from home more.
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by SuspectDevice »

Still improving.

Triathlon season starts in a few weeks, hoping to get through the local sprint series (400m/20km/4.4km) and maybe even win the over 50's category.

Even the chondromalacia symptoms are a little better.

Still have to ice & use the TENS machine from time to time, but seem to be able to get it under control much quicker now.

Been trialing a new diet (more carnivore, less carbs) for about 5 weeks now - not sure it has helped my various aching joints, but I seem to feel less stressed at higher training heart rates.
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by SuspectDevice »

Still improving.
Cycling regularly up to 2hrs (but usually only 1hr).
Running more, but do most as walk-run so as not to push my luck.
Strength work (upper & lower) 2x/week.
Swim 1-2x/week when Covid allows the pool to open ::)

Hardly ever need the TENS machine now. Sometimes use ice if knees feeling a bit rough, which will usually be after 2-3 sessions of knee focused stuff.

Take collagen powder in my drink every morning. I'm convinced this has progressed recovery of not only my knees but other sore joints (toes, thumbs, wrists).

The main concern now is (I think) the spot of chaffed cartilage on my femur, which became that way as I kept cycling with a torn meniscus before having it trimmed. The loose piece was rubbing on the femur is seems. That get's sore with certain actions, but I can live with it.

Hoping to do most of the triathlons with the local club this season if they are on (not sure with Covid).
Louisamith
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by Louisamith »

Hi Suspect Device, I have been reading your posts avidly on this site and was wondering if I could get some insight from you -

Hi, I am a 25 year old female runner who was wondering if you could help me out with a question about my knees. I recently read your posts on PFPS and it got me thinking about the symptoms I have been having with my knees for the past 6 months.

I recovered from anorexia about 1 year ago now, however at that time I had a bad exercise (running) addiction, probably averaging about 100/150km per week for 2/3 years on a frame that was probably around 32-40kg (168cm) (yes I know, I was very sick and can't believe I'm still alive). I am running much much less now, but I have lately been feeling like there is some sort of damage within my knees.

Originally I just got an extremely weird sensation, hard to describe, but it is a 'creakiness' - the same sound you would expect from an old floorboard, or a rusty hinge. I don't have any major pains in my knees after running, just a constant dull ache thats worse when squatting and going up and down stairs - but when I place my hand on my kneecap and straighten it out I can feel the vibrations.

However, my main concern is the constant warmth, redness and inflammation around my knee, I was wondering if the sounds and the redness were connected? Or whether its simply a case of 'PFPS' and I just have 'noisy knees'?

I am concerned this is the beginning of osteoarthritis or chondromalacia, which is probably very very likely considering my previous mileage. I have had X-Rays (which did not show any joint deterioration), negative blood tests for Rheumatoid arthritis, and have been to the doctor however I did not get much information on what this could be, them just putting it down to 'overuse'.

Is this something I should make a physio appointment with you for, or is it more likely to be in the realm of seeing an orthopedist ?

Thanks so much for taking your time to read this, I look forward to hearing back from you
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by SuspectDevice »

Louisamith wrote: Hi Suspect Device, I have been reading your posts avidly on this site and was wondering if I could get some insight from you -

Hi, I am a 25 year old female runner who was wondering if you could help me out with a question about my knees. I recently read your posts on PFPS and it got me thinking about the symptoms I have been having with my knees for the past 6 months.

I recovered from anorexia about 1 year ago now, however at that time I had a bad exercise (running) addiction, probably averaging about 100/150km per week for 2/3 years on a frame that was probably around 32-40kg (168cm) (yes I know, I was very sick and can't believe I'm still alive). I am running much much less now, but I have lately been feeling like there is some sort of damage within my knees.

Originally I just got an extremely weird sensation, hard to describe, but it is a 'creakiness' - the same sound you would expect from an old floorboard, or a rusty hinge. I don't have any major pains in my knees after running, just a constant dull ache thats worse when squatting and going up and down stairs - but when I place my hand on my kneecap and straighten it out I can feel the vibrations.

However, my main concern is the constant warmth, redness and inflammation around my knee, I was wondering if the sounds and the redness were connected? Or whether its simply a case of 'PFPS' and I just have 'noisy knees'?

I am concerned this is the beginning of osteoarthritis or chondromalacia, which is probably very very likely considering my previous mileage. I have had X-Rays (which did not show any joint deterioration), negative blood tests for Rheumatoid arthritis, and have been to the doctor however I did not get much information on what this could be, them just putting it down to 'overuse'.

Is this something I should make a physio appointment with you for, or is it more likely to be in the realm of seeing an orthopedist ?

Thanks so much for taking your time to read this, I look forward to hearing back from you
Sounds similar to my symptoms and I'm sure my main problem was synovitis, though I also had patella chondromalcia & a torn meniscus. But the red/hot/burning IMO is a big signal pointing to synovitis/loss of tissue homeostasis.

What also interests me is your anorexia & lots of running. That says to me low muscle mass in your legs = more stress on your knees = overuse = loss of tissue homeostasis. I also have skinny legs & I believe in my case lots of hard cycling prescribed by my triathlon coach led to my synovitis.

I've since done a lot more work building leg strength BUT that was only possible once I got on top of the synovitis by taking Celebrex for 5-6mths, and being careful to avoid activities which really set me back (cycling, running, stairs).

Return to “Your success stories”