Supplements

Diet regimes, glucosamine, chondroitin sulphate, weight issues
KneeFairy
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Supplements

Post by KneeFairy »

Hi Guys - I have arthritis in both knees. I'm looking to find the best supplement out there. I understIand that there are some that include Hyraulonic Acid also - I have major crunching sound from both knees when going down stairs. No pain though - I think it's because I lost weight and I eat right.

I got the book "Arthritis Interrupted" which was awesome - but can't afford the natural cocktails that this guy mixes up every day. If you have beaucoup money - you might want to buy this book. Now - I think you can only get it by using above title and the author's last name is Sinatra. The Solgar supplement named "7" (that's it folks) was awesome for me for pain - when I was overweight.

Now, I want to grow back my cartilage - which - - we can do. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Any replies would be much appreciated. Peace
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Supplements

Post by vickster »

Unfortunately, there are no supplements to grow back lost cartilage, and I wouldn't believe any claims that say they can.
But there is some mixed evidence that at the right doses, some can help joint health in some people. Glucosamine, chondroitin, omega 3 from cod liver oil. Vitamin D is also extremely important (from sunlight if you can or pills the rest of the year or if your skin colour means you don't absorb). Turmeric can help with inflammation apparently.
And try to cut out processed foods, and especially refined sugars which can be inflammatory.

Not heard of oral hyaluronic acid doing much but HA injections can help lubricate the joint (have helped me in the past).
There's some sketchy evidence that PRP or stem cells may improve knee health but nothing to suggest that it can grow back lost cartilage (how severe is your arthritis in terms of grade, how extensive, which compartments?)

If your knees are crunchy but there's no pain, I wouldn't get too hung up on it. Have a read up about the causes of crepitus
Last edited by vickster on Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone
KneeFairy
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by KneeFairy »

Hello Vickster. Thank you for your lengthy reply. It is much appreciated. I don't know my stage number , but I will take your advice and look up crepitus. Peace to you. Kneefairy.
SuspectDevice
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by SuspectDevice »

I agree with Vickster.

Crunchy, but no pain is fine. And no supplement I ever tried did anything positive.
L Medial menisectomy 2012
PFPS both knees 2012-2017
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014 (I think this was crap)
2017 - 90+% cured via Dr Dye's research
2018 - MTB crash, busted collarbone & ribs - easy compared to knees!
2021 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, short runs 2x/week, back to short races
Gretchen2000
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Gretchen2000 »

Years back I was told shark cartilage can help. I tried and saw no change in my knee. It tended to make me a little sick to my stomach and seemed to increase bruising. It's something you can get at a naturalistic store. Maybe it would help you.
Lakeswim03
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Lakeswim03 »

Hi,
I was interested to read others' responses so thanks for posting.

I have tried taking Solgar Glucosamine Chondroitin, Gopo joint health (rosehip) and Genuine Health Fast arthritis (eggshell, pineapple & avo extracts) as I had recommendations for each of them from different people who take them and feel they benefit from them. Sadly none of them worked for me, but this could of course be because my issue is (probably) more mechanical and not arthritis.
Now I am just taking vitamin D and Floradix (Iron & B vitamins) and trying to incorporate turmeric into my diet a few days a week.
mang0954
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by mang0954 »

Vickster wrote: Unfortunately, there are no supplements to grow back lost cartilage, and I wouldn't believe any claims that say they can.
But there is some mixed evidence that at the right doses, some can help joint health in some people. Glucosamine, chondroitin, omega 3 from cod liver oil. Vitamin D is also extremely important (from sunlight if you can or pills the rest of the year or if your skin colour means you don't absorb). Turmeric can help with inflammation apparently.
Other than the supplements you mentioned, I also see in other places where people discuss about type 2 collagen, vitamin C, green tea, glycine and drink lots of water. Also people say frequent knee flexion and extension is important as it squeezes nutrition in and out of knee joint.

Return to “KNEE ARTHRITIS - Diet and nutritional supplements”