Has this happened to anyone?

Cruciate repair, allograft, autograft, synthetic ligaments. Ligament braces.
Psilentchild
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Has this happened to anyone?

Post by Psilentchild »

I'm just wondering what to expect. I tore my ACL, MCL,LCL, 2 meniscus tears, and joint effusion in my left knee. I have to meet with the orthopedic surgeon soon. Has this type of injury happened to anyone else?
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Has this happened to anyone?

Post by vickster »

You could have a look through the ligament forum

/forum/viewforum.php?f=57

However, your surgeon would be best to advise on the surgery and rehab. Make a thorough list of questions for the appointment.

Make sure you get a very experienced PT lined up for rehab too, which could be a very long haul. How old are you? What job do you have?

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone
Psilentchild
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Psilentchild »

I'm a 41 year old teacher.
Squires
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Squires »

Psilentchild wrote: I'm just wondering what to expect. I tore my ACL, MCL,LCL, 2 meniscus tears, and joint effusion in my left knee. I have to meet with the orthopedic surgeon soon. Has this type of injury happened to anyone else?
please come with updates when you would have any... i tried to resolve it with some healthy recipes but no help so far. really interested into finding out how it worked out for you sir.
Last edited by Squires on Wed May 06, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John42
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by John42 »

Hi -

How did you sustain such a serious injury? where do you live?

Best/ JohnK/Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.&nbsp; Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vickster »

He's in the US from previous posts
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone
Audice
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Audice »

Back in '05 I had a similar situation as yours. If you search for my name, my responses ought to still be accessible. Good luck.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.
Psilentchild
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Psilentchild »

John42 wrote: Hi -

How did you sustain such a serious injury? where do you live?

Best/ JohnK/Manchester UK
Playing basketball with the team I coach. As I was landing from a rebound I got bumped by a player.
Psilentchild
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Psilentchild »

Squires wrote:
Psilentchild wrote: I'm just wondering what to expect. I tore my ACL, MCL,LCL, 2 meniscus tears, and joint effusion in my left knee. I have to meet with the orthopedic surgeon soon. Has this type of injury happened to anyone else?
please come with updates when you would have any... really interested into finding out how it worked out for you sir.
I'm going to have surgery as soon as the surgeon has been cleared to operate due to the virus.
Pippinp
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Pippinp »

Hi
I had a very similar injury to this just over 2 years ago. I did it while skiing (or rather, falling!). I ruptured ACL, MCL, LCL and tore the lateral meniscus ( as well as a fibula fracture of the the other leg. I had surgery 3 weeks after the initial injury - reconstruction of MCL with a synthetic graft, reconstruction of LCL with a hamstring autograft and a couple of sutures to the torn meniscus. Then I was in a brace for 6 weeks. I then had hydrotherapy and physiotherapist twice a week for about 10 weeks to regain my range of movement and then once I'd got to 110 degrees of flexion the surgeon agreed to reconstruct my ACL ( with an autograft from the hamstring on the other leg) and since then, loads of physiotherapist and rehab.
Happy to answer any questions about surgery/recovery if that would help?
Good luck for your surgery
Psilentchild
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Psilentchild »

Pippinp wrote: Hi
I had a very similar injury to this just over 2 years ago. I did it while skiing (or rather, falling!). I ruptured ACL, MCL, LCL and tore the lateral meniscus ( as well as a fibula fracture of the the other leg. I had surgery 3 weeks after the initial injury - reconstruction of MCL with a synthetic graft, reconstruction of LCL with a hamstring autograft and a couple of sutures to the torn meniscus. Then I was in a brace for 6 weeks. I then had hydrotherapy and physiotherapist twice a week for about 10 weeks to regain my range of movement and then once I'd got to 110 degrees of flexion the surgeon agreed to reconstruct my ACL ( with an autograft from the hamstring on the other leg) and since then, loads of physiotherapist and rehab.
Happy to answer any questions about surgery/recovery if that would help?
Good luck for your surgery
Oh my that's a lot. I have to me with the orthopedic surgeon Friday to see when they can do surgery. With the Coronavirus things are on hold. How long was it before you can put in weight on it. They told me after surgery no weight for 3 months. How was the pain the 1st few days. Were you able to return to normal activities? I jack my shoulder up and the dr told me my days of competition in power lifter were over.
Pippinp
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Pippinp »

Hi
I'm afraid the first surgery was quite painful - MCL and LCL reconstruction - I stayed 1 night in hospital and I needed liquid morphine for a few days at home. Not unbearable though, but I definitely needed the pain relief. Also had a special bandage thing with a coolant spray to apply every few hours which helped. Icing also a good idea. The ACL surgery was much less painful.
Regarding weight-bearing. I had a brace on but I think I was allowed to bear some weight, sorry I can't remember for certain. Definitely best to do what your OS tells you! (I was allowed to bear weight straight away after the ACL reconstruction and only had the brace in for 24 hours after that surgery). I was not able to return to normal activities for many weeks - I couldn't safely get up and down the stairs ( due to pain and being wobbly on my crutches) and when sitting, I could only get comfortable with my leg elevated horizontal. The other thing preventing return to work etc was that it took a long time to get my range of movement back and I wasn't allowed to drive until I had 90degrees of flexion, which took about 10 weeks post-op. You may be able to drive sooner if you have an automatic car and your affected leg is not the one you use for accelerator (which mine was).
You didn't say what grade of tear you have to the ligaments, so if they are not full ruptures then hopefully you won't need such a big operation(s).
If I could give 1 piece of advice, it would be to do some quads exercises while in the brace if possible as I had no PT during the 6 weeks in the brace and lost huge amounts of muscle mass in the quads and now even 2 years later and loads of time in the gym and doing weights, that leg is still significantly weaker and that of course affects my balance.
Good luck on Friday
Psilentchild
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Psilentchild »

No hospital stay for the ACL?
Pippinp
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Pippinp »

No, for the ACL, I went in to hospital in the morning, went down to theatre at midday and went home at around 6pm. I had to be able to walk to the toilet on my crutches to be allowed to go home! Went back the next day for a check-up and first physio session.
Psilentchild
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Psilentchild »

So I guess everything didn't show up on the MRI. I tore my ACL, hamstring, and 2 meniscus. The surgeon said everything went well.

Return to “Cruciate ligaments”