Stem Cell Injections

Steroid injections, lubricants (eg Synvisc)
tlovinggood
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Stem Cell Injections

Post by tlovinggood »

Hello--I am new to this forum, but wanted to reach out to the members to research a type of knee injection known as a Stem Cell Injection. I have been getting Ortho Visc injections into my left knee for the past three years. While they do help, the effects are only temporary. I have consulted with three orthopedic surgeons that all want to do a total knee replacement for my left knee. At this time, I feel like there are too many risks and too many limitations placed on my activity level by this surgery. I have recently learned of a treatment using stem cells from my own body that are harvested and then injected into the affected knee. I understand that pain relief begins only a few days later, and cartilage begins growing in the knee within 8 weeks. Has anyone on this Board had this type of treatment? I would be most interested in hearing about their experiences. Thanks in advance

Tom Lovinggood
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Stem Cell Injections

Post by vickster »

Do you have bone on bone arthritis if they are talking TKR? How extensive is it, focal defects or generalised wear and tear. How old are you? Are your bones well aligned?

If the former, for focal defects, there are surgical techniques which use a combination of microfracture and stem cells which seem to have reasonable results.

If the latter, options are very limited. I don't think there's much clinical trial proof yet that stem cells repair cartilage where there's none left but can help to heal light damage. More anecdotal of some people with some pain relief, possibly due to less inflammation. I'm not sure where the 8 weeks come from and what outcomes are achieved in terms of actual functional improvement esp in patients with extensive or severe arthrtis.

Worth a try if you have the financial wherewithal (expensive, esp in North America, less so in Easten Europe, you don't say where you are, whether you can travel) but keep your expectations realistic. There have been a number of posts around this if you search on stem cells, Regenexx, Dr Saw (Malaysia) or Dr Broyles (US) who are pioneers in surgery plus stem cells for focal defects

There's a sub board too http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/http ... .php?f=3.0

Good luck
Last edited by vickster on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone
tlovinggood
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by tlovinggood »

Hello--thank you for your response. I am 66 and am in good health. My bones are well aligned. I have bone-on-bone contact at my medial condyle. I have some cartilage remaing through the rest of the joint. This was verifed through an ultra sound image. The doctor that I plan to go told me that I would start getting some pain relief within about 2 weeks and some catilage would begin to grow within 2 months. It may take up to a year to see any significant cartlilage growth I am skeptical of the procedure, but after talking to a few patients that have had this, I am encouraged that it would actually work. Any further input would be most appreciated. I am looking for any treatment options in place of a total knee replacement.
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vickster »

You could explore a partial knee replacement or resurfacing procedure. Smaller op and quicker rehab than total which you won't need if you have cartilage in other compartments and good function.
Find a surgeon who does lots of these procedures. Your age may be a barrier but there are other cartilage repair procedures such as microfracture with or without stem cells, ACI, cartform (dependingnon which country you are in and your financial or insurance position)

Stem cells may help in terms of reducing inflammation even if no cartilage regrowd, PRP may also help with inflammation and pain

I'd get an MRI and X-rays for a more detailed picture before anything else (ultrasound isn't usually used for assessing bone)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone
tlovinggood
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by tlovinggood »

Hello--I underwent a stem cell injection into my left knee about 8 months ago. While there was some reduction in pain, it was not as much as I was hoping. My doctor has recommended a "booster shot" and I will probably under go that in December of 2019. I would be most interested in hearing from others that have had this procedure. thanks i n advance.

Tom Lovinggood

Return to “KNEE ARTHRITIS - Injections into the joint”