5 years on from a TPF & Spiral fracture of the Tibia

If you feel your knee problem has been successfully managed, let us hear about it. Post the full story with the first post - how it started, what symptoms, what you were told, what examinations and tests, what surgery, what type of rehab.
BrokenPonyGirl
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

5 years on from a TPF & Spiral fracture of the Tibia

Post by BrokenPonyGirl »

Hi all,

Havent' been in here for a long time, but as my 5yr anniversary is coming up on 20th March 2015 I thought it a good time to pop back in and let others know that there is life after a massive break and you can get back to normal with good rehab and hard work.

On 20th March 2010 I was bucked off a horse and shattered my TPF into teenie tiny pieces.....the Doc's said it was the worst TPF they'd ever seen and the medical notes from my operation stated that even with bone grafts they could not entirely repair where the Fibula came off the TP.

Anyway with an AMAZING surgeon (because lets face it, if my surgeon wasn't as good as he was I wouldn't be as good as I am now) and sticking fully to the rehab set for me, I was back on my feet within 12 weeks.

By 13th September 2010 I was back sitting on a horse - albeit my friends 25 yr old Quarterhorse, and it was literally a pony ride - but I was back on! And then by the end of that year I was back on some of the riding school schoolmasters in a safe environment. But I was also still going regularly to the gym and doing all of the hard yards in relation to rehabbing the knee/leg.

On 7th August 2011 I bought a new horse.......he was a young horse, only a 4yo, and at first I thought oh god what have I done as my confidence was at rock bottom.......but we've grown together and now as an 8yo he is the best horse that I have ever owned!

I still regularly go to the gym, and although now I can't do the high impact things like running on the treadmill or skipping because if the pain that this elicits up the shin, there really is not much that I can't do that I was doing before the accident.

So for all of you that are currently going through this terrible time in your lives and wondering if your leg will ever be the same again and perhaps feeling quite depressed about the whole situation......chin up, yes it definitely does get better and yes things can pretty much go back to normal, but you need to work hard at your rehab.

Good luck to you all and I hope that you have a success story similar to mine!
:) ;)
20.3 severe dislocation entire lateral condyle, entire meniscus & MFL & LCL reconstruction.
30.3 knee in hinged brace ROM 30
7.4 stitches removed ROM 45
30.4 ROM 90 remove brace for showering
9.5 nolonger on pain meds
21.5 ROM 103
31.5 Can now start weight baring
16.6 ROM 115
18.6 Walking!
maryc
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: 5 years on from a TPF & Spiral fracture of the Tibia

Post by maryc »

Hi BrokenPonyGirl - glad to see you doing so well. You're right it is a lot of hard work but well worth it. Thanks for coming back and giving a "leg up" to everyone here.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS