Author Topic: Ultram  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Ultram
« on: September 30, 2004, 09:47:16 PM »
Hi folks,

Has anybody out there used ultram (tramadol)?  My OS gave me a script for it yesterday because I'm having a lot of pain despite celebrex and acetaminophen.  I hear that it has a lot of side effects, though.

Just wondering,
Danielle ;)
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Ultram
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 09:54:19 PM »
I never had any side effects except maybe the first two times I took it--then I was ever so slightly woozy about an hour after taking it.  No big deal.

Unfortunately, it's pain relieving properties were no big deal in my knee, anyway.  Some people get a lot of relief on it.  My take is I don't think it's for people in severe pain, more like mild pain that, say, 4 advil would take the edge off of...I used it as the first drug in my pain management program.  I'd use Ultram and lidoderm patches during the day, and oxycodone at night.  By the time I took my meds at night, I was really, really hurting.

Heather

PS You really should try the Lidoderm--they are a lifesaver for me.
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 10:20:47 PM »
hi i'm with heather i found that it did nothing for the pain..i find celevrex is great for swelling and daytime pain..bextra is good also and is easy on the side effects and the tummy..very pricey tho and most co's won't cover it w/out a fight unfortunately

cheers

ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 12:37:18 AM »
I gotta second that Lidoderm advice. Thanks to Heather it has actually made me look forward to going to my son's baseball games!  They have helped me so much i wish I could wear them for more than 12 hours. I can't believe my pm doc didn't mention them. But all I had to do was leave him a message asking to try the Lidoderm and I got a phone call back within an hour saying that they called the prescription in. I guess he was excited that I wanted to try something non-narcotic! lol. Thanks again Heather! For those of you who haven't tried the Lidoderm Patches, please look into it. They are pretty expensive (not for me, I pay $10 a month for 60) about $75 per box of 30. But if your insurance covers, please try them. They don't get down to the deep joint pain, but the constant ache is much more bearable.

Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 03:08:25 AM »
There's a variation on ultram called ultracet that is tramadol with tylenol added. the drug book says they prescribe this for short term severe pain. I took it for a headache caused by a 3/4 in thick metal plate hitting me across the bridge of my nose (complete w/ concussion, blue and green eye, and hairline fracture of the nasal bone, not the cartilage part). It helped the headache, but I dont know how it'd work for knee pain.

Try to see if you can look up how much tylenol is in Ultracet, and then perhaps try adding that much tylenol (if the doc okays it) if the ultram alone doesn't do much.

Don't play with the meds without checking with your doc of course, but just thought i'd share  what I know of the meds.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Knee_Queen

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 04:42:42 AM »

Hi!

Maybe i'm just a lucky individual but the tramadol combined with paracetamol did the job for me after my TTT/LR three weeks ago! Admittedly I had a moderate amount of morphine/oromorph for the first few days whilst in hospital and was still pretty uncomfortable!

As for side effects, the Tramadol made me dopey, confused & dizzy. I also has slight palpitations, hot sweats and felt sick when trying to eat/drink so had to take anti-sickness drugs at the same time. I guess its a matter of deciding whether you would prefer severe pain or some of the side effects! Personally, I liked the sedative effects, it at least helped me sleep for a few hours at a time, something I'm struggling with now that I'm off meds! I wouldn't recommend staying on this long-term though, I've had abdominal cramps and related problems since comming off meds over a week ago and I was only taking them for the first 2 weeks!!!-Believe me you don't want any more detail than that!!! ;)

Heidi
23yrs.Recurrent atraumatic R-knee dislocations since age of 11. L/R aged 15yrs. Elmslie Trillat TTT & 2nd L/R 10/9/04!Left knee also problematic, increasing pain/subluxations.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 10:41:12 PM »
Once I was past the immediate post-op pain (about a month) and didn't want/need the narcotics, I switched to Ultram. I was already taking Celebrex, so couldn't go the Advil route. I used the Ultram for break-through pain, and needed it daily just to get through sitting at my desk. I usually never needed to take it more than once a day. It worked really well for me for months and months, but then I started feeling itchy and hyper after taking it. So I switched to Tylenol III, which doesn't work as well, but still seems to stop the pain cycle. I've gotten to the point where I don't need it often, thank goodness, but still have days/nights when I couldn't do without it.

I think that, just like any drug, your doctor should be willing to work with you and do some experimenting to see what works best for you. There are tons of drugs and combinations, so don't give up until you find what helps you most.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 09:57:40 PM »
Hi,

Well, I've tried the Ultram.  The first few days, it made me really goofy and seemed to help some.  Since the side effects went away, so did the pain relief :P.  So, I'm up to 200 mg celebrex, 1000 mg tylenol three times a day and 100 mg ultram at night.  I still have pain to the point I can barely function at work and can't sleep at night.  I've tried amitryptiline (which helped me sleep, but I kept nearly wrecking my car driving to work in the morning) and am extremely narcotic sensitive (not to mention, I couldn't take them at work.)  I have 10 days until my second opinion about UKR.  Trying to hang on...

Danielle :-[
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 01:42:39 AM »
Dear Danielle:

Despite everyone's misconceptions, Ultram is EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE!!  This is something that is not widely known, but was made known to me when it was being prescribed to me for impulse control (I'm bi-polar and a cutter).  I found I had to take more and more of it for it to have any effect (this is apparently also common).  Also, it can have horrible side effects - especially SEIZURE DISORDERS!  And you absolutely CANNOT TAKE IT IF YOU'RE ALSO TAKING ANYTHING LIKE PROZAC OR ZOLOFT!!!  The combination can be quite deadly.  Unfortunately, my idiot psychiatrist wasn't aware that the two cannot be taken together and it took a major seizure episode in the grocery store 2 years ago to discover this!  I had to go through all kinds of EEG's and such - and then my neurologist saw that I was on both of these medications and was just APPALLED that my psychiatrist didn't know they couldn't be taken together.

O.K....I'd say I didn't mean to scare you - but actually I did.  Ultram scares me because it's so misused and misunderstood by the general public - and, if seems, by many doctors.  Personally, I think you'd be better off with Tylenol III or something else.  Let me also say that I actually went through withdrawal when I stopped taking the Ultram...and that really s*cked!  

Good luck.

Hugs!

Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 07:00:23 PM »
Holly,

I'm very aware of the potential for physical dependence (which is not the same as addiction) for Ultram and any other narcotic.  I only use it as a rescue medicine at night (not that it seems to be working very well for that anyway ::))  I don't take it everyday either.  

I didn't mean to imply that I'm mixing the amitryptiline (which I stopped months ago) with it either.  That would be very dangerous.  

This is basically just a tirade because I'm stuck.  I have bad pain that nothing I've tried seems to help and I can't really take narcotics.  

Sorry things were a big problem for you when you were using those together.  You're right.  Ultram is a drug that many physicians don't commonly use and therefore, may not know much about.

Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

support