Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bad pain day  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Runs with scissors
Re: Bad pain day
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2004, 06:05:20 AM »
Dear Wimple:

HOORAY FOR NURSERY SCHOOL!!  Having had 3 children within 4 1/2 years, I know how much it means to have even a couple of hours to yourself while the little one(s) are being otherwise occupied.  You certainly deserve the time to yourself, and I hope you spent it being very, very good to yourself...perhaps a long, hot soak in the tub, or a manicure, or just reading a long-neglected book?  And it's wonderful, always, to hear that one's child is well-liked, isn't it?

As for your friends feeling you're taking advantage of them or somehow requiring them to care for your son when they visit...is it possible that you're just projecting those feelings?  Has anyone actually said that to you?  Perhaps you're just feeling a bit defensive or imagining that they're feeling put upon.  Because I can hardly believe that any friend would be overwhelmed by the prospect of keeping an eye out for your son if they've brought their own children to your house for a visit.  I'm sure it's no trouble for them; you just don't want to be seen as a "burden."  Let those feelings go, kiddo.  You and your son need the company, and so do your friends and their children - so it's a win/win situation in my opinion.

Hope you have a happier day tomorrow.

Holly
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 06:06:21 AM by Holly »
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline wimple

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2004, 12:38:51 AM »
Hi,
could use some good thoughts :(
I have a horrible head cold/sore throat at the moment and the mother in law from hell descending on us for the day tomorrow... HELP!!!!!!!! and the knee is acting up (still)

Offline BuffettBarbie

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2004, 01:56:47 AM »
Wimple,

You poor thing!  Try green tea with honey for the sore throat.  Believe it or not, not only does it soothe your throat, but the antioxidants in the tea and healing properties of honey will help your body fight off a nasty cold.  Trust me, I used to get them all the time (until I had my tonsils removed!)

Ooh, the evil "Monster-In-Law."  This would be the perfect opportunity for the Monster-In-Law to spend quality time with her grand children.  Yes, it can be turned into a good thing!  Lucky for you, your stopped-up ears from your cold will prevent you from hearing her that well.  Got any good pain meds?  This might help some, too, making the knee and Monster-In-Law somewhat tolerable.  

Good luck, honey, as you are not going to have a fun week!  If I had my own helicopter, I'd run a rescue mission for you!  I'd drop you off at an island (not in the hurricane alley) with beaches, palm trees, fruitiful drinks with little umbrellas, and some guy named Paolo to rub your back!  Sending you 1,000,000 emergency hugs!

Chris  :)
Lateral Release- Left Knee (Feb 2001)
Lateral Release- Right Knee (April 2001)
Fulkerson's TTO, Lateral Release, & Scope- Right Knee (20 Aug 2004)

Offline wimple

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2004, 12:04:13 AM »
Hi,
Managed to get through the visititation by the mother in law ( like the monster in law Chris ;D)
Cold is now really hitting me - my nose has been running non stop all day!
Knee is still not right and I'm at a loss what to do, seems like the NHS has just forgotten about me, I get to see the physio on Wednesday who isn't at all bothered about me - post op care truly stinks. My knee is still moving and clicking where it shouldn't and I am fed up with the pain.. once again thanks for listening, just had enough at the moment..

Offline wimple

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2004, 08:50:01 PM »
Well, today has been the pits, knee has been slipping all over the place and to cap it all picked son up from nursery (only second time he has been) to be told that he has bitten 2 children.. He has never bitten anyone before and I feel at a loss as to how to communicate to a 2 and a half year old that he musn't bite when hes never done it at home - any mums out there got any advice???? So, today has been awful - husband has now got the cold/flu thing too - so of course hes dying!!!!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2004, 09:20:39 PM »
Hey !!

Sorry you having a bad day, wish I could say mine was better. Anyway, about your son maybe he's feeling that you aren't feeling well and that this is a reaction out of it, just a thought. My son when he was about same age started to pee about 50 times a day, as a reaction on me not feeling well and beeing at hospital a lot. Maybe you can come be with him for a day there to see how he's acting then or maybe just for a couple of hours. Ohh, poor you, sick husbands aren't a funny thing to deal with cause they get SO SICK !! Sending you a big hug from the rainy land of Sweden.

Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2004, 09:23:55 PM »
Wimple,

Biting is perfectly normal behavior, and almost always occurs when the child is old enough to want to express himself, but lacking the vocabulary to do say.  Put a child at this stage of development in a frustrating situation, and biting is very predictable.  My nephew went through this phase at pre-school and what they did to work him out of it was to develop his empathy.  He learned to pet the kitty nicely, touch soft things like a satin shirt gently, and in short to understand the difference between a soft touch and one that isn't nice.  He went through quite a phase, though--it had to have been six months.  Sometimes he'd be playing on the floor wrestling and get all wound up and just reach out and bite.  So in addition to working on empathy, we worked on the concept of consequences for his actions.  Whatever he was doing that was fun would stop when he bit someone.  Then, we'd have a talk with him underscoring the empathy part--how much it hurt to be bitten, to remember the some things required a soft touch or nice touch, etc.

So anyway, the big trick was to find out why he was biting, remove that environment (over-stimulation biting was treated with a calming activity, or a time out), and then giving him alternate ways to express himself.  The first time he bit someone at day-care, it was because the older kid took his paintbrush.  My little nephew knew he couldn't verbally express his unhappiness, so he bit.  Taking him out of the painting environment and talking about how much biting hurt, and that it was not allowed, and that daddy was very disappointed was half the battle.  Teaching him again about soft touches and how nice they are (using the patient cat to demonstrate how she purred and licked when she was happy to be touched softly) was the rest of the solution.  The next time that same kid took my nephew's brush away, he patted the kid!  Just like he was a cat.  The teacher thought that was so sweet, and now my nephew is a little peacemaker.

Anyway, please be assured that you are not raising Hannibal Lechter!  This is a very normal behavior.  In the 70's when I was a baby, my mom bit us back to teach us what it felt like.  Of course, that behavior is frowned on these days.  But I've got to say, it works!  My brother and I only bit once....sometimes I think modern child-rearing techniques over-complicate things, but I can see why biting the child back might be giving a mixed message for some kids.  The time out method takes lots longer to get the point accross, but probably is a longer-lasting message.

Here's a great article on the behavior you are talking about.  Biting is the middle section, but there are lots of good ideas in this piece.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5060325/

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline wimple

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2004, 03:47:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice, reading the article really helped. Well, saw the physio today and she has taped my knee again, she now suspects a LCL sprain. Does anybody know how long this takes to sort out?

Offline BuffettBarbie

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2004, 03:49:17 AM »
Wimple,

I have no idea.  I don't think they do either.  You'll probably have to wait a while to see if it gets better or not.  Rrrrgh, the wait....

You definitely need some chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.  It will help you recover.  It has essential nutrients, like calcium!  Sending many hugs your way...

Offline mainegal

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Notes From Away
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2004, 04:03:05 AM »
And chocolate! The real essential recovery nutrient!

Were you able to get knee massage cream? I was thinking of you today as I massaged my knee.

Melissa
RK TTT (Fulkerson) & LR - 8/31/04
RK - genetic PF maltracking, chronic patellar tendinitis
RK - Q-angle was 25, post-op= 15

Offline wimple

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2004, 11:30:40 PM »
Well, the pain has got worse again, took the latest lot of tape off and knee is very unhappy, still have this stupid cold and have tried the chocolate therapy - that hasn't worked either!!! Feeling so down

Offline BuffettBarbie

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2004, 01:32:39 AM »
Wimple!

Hey, do you have any Leukotape at home?  You can tape it yourself- you just have to move your patella over while doing it.  I don't miss the sticky mess- it seemed like it took months to come off!  (Meanwhile, little bits of lint, grass, and hairs would be stuck to my leg!)  If you need some, let me know- I still have most of my last roll left, and will send to you.  (It's pricey, but they give it to me for free!  Ha ha ha!)  

You still have your cold?!  Arrgh!  Are you taking your vitamins?  Have you tried sweating it out in a sauna?  Covering your body in Vick's Vapor Rub?  That's very odd that the chocolate is not helping- you're not eating the fat-free stuff, are you?  Maybe you need to drink some Diet Coke- in my deluded little world, the bubbles distribute the chocolate goodness into my bloodstream.  Now that I think about it, my bloodstream probably consists of 90% Diet Coke....  Anywho, chicken soup gets old fast, so try the Campbell's Italian Wedding Soup.  It's soooo good!  Eat some habaneros- they will unstuff your nose in a jiffy!

I hope you get better soon.  Bum knee and colds don't go well together- you're all disoriented from your stuffed up head, and end up tripping with your peg-leg because it doesn't work right!  Sending you many, many hugs!

Offline wimple

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2004, 12:14:07 AM »
Dear All,
my real name is Louise by the way! Ok, things have got worse, cold has now turned into a sinus infection and my head is splitting, knee has decided to play up extra as well - what on earth are habeneros?? See the physio tomorrow for what she calls local treatment of the so called sprained lcl, perhaps I should give her all my lovely germs in return ;D
Oh well, going to tuck myself up in bed, thanks for listening guys

Offline BuffettBarbie

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2004, 06:11:37 PM »
Louise!

Ugh, sinus infection!  You poor thing!  Habaneros are THE hottest peppers on earth.  Take a bite of one, and your nose should clear right away!  (Have a big glass of water handy!)  Make sure to get tissues with the lotion in them so your nose doesn't fall off!  Drink plenty of liquids, and get plenty of rest!  Hope you get better soon!

Many hugs,

Offline wimple

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2004, 12:27:16 AM »
Hi all,
Ultrasound has not worked, rain is definitely not helping and can I trade my husband in for another model please? ::) I am soo tired of dealing with his selfish behaviour whilst also trying to deal with knee problems and being a mum to an active toddler, why can't he ever give me support rather than the long lists of what hes had to give up because of my knee????? Thanks again for listening

support