Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need an opinion on chronic knee pain  (Read 975 times)

Offline baseload

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Need an opinion on chronic knee pain
« on: September 29, 2004, 08:11:37 PM »
For years now I have been experiencing chronic right knee pain from an old motocross injury.  I have had two surgeries so far.  The last surgery the surgeon removed scar tissue from the previous and realigned the knee, also  corrected the knee cap movement.  Well that was 8 months ago and I am still having constant pain, locking up, and sharp pains depending on the day.  But now my left knee is starting to hurt, I think from the stress of the right knee.  I dont know what to do, I am hesitant to go back to the doctor.  If anybody could help me out, I would appreciate it. ???

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Need an opinion on chronic knee pain
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 04:35:17 AM »
I would suggest getting a new orthopedic evaluation, perhaps an MRI to see what's now going on.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you try several things--
1. try to be more cognizant of your gait, try to walk as normally as you can - try not to limp. Look at an object about 40 ft away as you walk, see if you can notice a swaying motion or other compensation method that you unconsciously use to allow easier movement with the bad knee, but is aggrivating the good one. A physical therapist can also help with this - it's called gait training, I think.
2. nutritional supplements - some people have found some relief in taking glucosamine supplements.
3. Ice - it might help your pain to ice your knee when you have been on it for extended periods, especially at the end of the day.
4. NSAIDS - non steroidal anti inflammatory meds like ibuprofen, aleve, or a number of prescription meds might help alleviate some symptoms while you get the knee checked out.
5. body mechanics - how you do something as simple as get up from a chair can affect the strain on your knees. It might be worth a consult with a physical therapist to learn some ways to compensate for the knee acting up. I've found that this helps me some, as my knee is permanently messed up.

These kinds of things are not the final answer, but might be able to help you get some relief while you get the knee investigated to see if there's something that's causing your problem.

I hope this helps a bit.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline californianative

• Regular Poster
  • Lisa....a California Native
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 04:26:49 AM »
Better see the doc. No, I don't like to go either, they treat you like crap, etc. BUT, it sounds like you may need more work. It's a cycle. Injury, PT, surgery, PT, long time...pain, PT, surgery...on and on. Sometimes, if you're lucky, they fix it, if not, you end up here like the rest of us!
Lisa...a California Native
2003 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving
2004 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving, lateral release, meniscus repair, resurfacing of the bones.

Offline faith

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 12:03:01 AM »
Hiya

From my own experience it's always better to get these things sorted out sooner rather than later - before you do any more damage.  I'd make an appt with the doc if I were you...

Hugs

Faith
R knee arthroscopy 1991; tibial osteotomy 1992; metalwork removed 1993; arthroscopy and lateral release 2004; ossicle removal 2007; arthroscopic debridement 2010; PFJR 2012; scar tissue removal & debridement 2013

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 10:43:22 PM »
Why are you hesitant to go back to the doctor? If you are still having problems, you should get back there. If your reason for being hesitant is because of the particular doctor, you could always see someone else.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.