Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osteotomy  (Read 936 times)

Offline dawnapril2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osteotomy
« on: September 29, 2004, 01:19:30 AM »
Hi All,

I have a general question of anyone here who has had any sort of osteotomy.  I have surgery scheduled for 2 weeks from yesterday for an open wedge femoral osteotomy.  I kind of made a general assumption that part of the proceedure will be to scope the joint itself and correct any mechanical issues at the same time.  Now the more I think about it I'm not so sure.  I did call my OS office to ask but have yet to hear back from them.  So anyone who has had this sort of proceedure what was done in your case?

Thanks for the input.
76 Lateral meniscectomy, 78 scar tissue, 7 scopes since 1980.  Distal Femoral Osteotomy 10/11/04

Offline CelticNagel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 06:31:54 PM »
I haven't had an osteotomy yet but I am being scheduled for a high tibial osteotomy - open wedge.  Because I am having unexplained instability and my knee "guts" need to be cleaned out anyway, he is definitely going inside the knee.  He also needs to determine if I need a meniscal allograft.  So, my answer is merely an assumption but I would think if they are going to do invasive surgery like that they would at least look around while they are in there.  You may want to call and discuss first of all if they do that and what direction you want them to take in the event they run into things that need to be corrected.  I assume you would want them to fix whatever they can while they are in there.  My surgery will probably be 10/27 or 10/29.
2002 partial menisectomy R (2x),2003 partial menisectomy R,2004 partial menisectomy L (2x),tibial fractures, tibial plateau fractures,HTO (L) 10/27/04;HTO (R) TBD

Offline dawnapril2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 07:00:30 PM »
I definitely want them to fix anything that needs fixing.  If I'm going through that major of surgery I want it as right as possible.  I did talk to the OS office today that is doing the osteotomy and she was not 100% sure either.  She was going to double check as well, she said if that was the case more then likely my original OS would assist with the surgery.  Last thing I want is to find out after months of trying to rehab from the osteotomy I still have mechanical issues.  I'm having my surgery October 11th.  Not quite the same as yours as mine will be a distal femoral open wedge but probably about the same pain and rehab.
76 Lateral meniscectomy, 78 scar tissue, 7 scopes since 1980.  Distal Femoral Osteotomy 10/11/04

Offline CelticNagel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 07:24:48 PM »
You'll have to keep me posted on your progress.  I will put my email on my profile.  My surgery may end up being sooner but I would like to wait til the 27th.  Not that these surgeries are ever convenient.  I agree the pain and rehab will probably be very similar.  I am expecting high tibial osteotomy, ACL reconstruction, meniscal debridement.  Originally if he finds that I need a meniscal allograft he was going to just debride and reschedule.  But now that I have torn my ACL he doesn't want to wait so the allograft would be done at a later time.  Between my knee surgeries and my need for elbow surgery that has been put off and put off, I should be in rehabe for 2 years.  At this point it has become a way of life anyway.  Good thing I like my therapist.  He has become my best friend.
2002 partial menisectomy R (2x),2003 partial menisectomy R,2004 partial menisectomy L (2x),tibial fractures, tibial plateau fractures,HTO (L) 10/27/04;HTO (R) TBD

Offline slightfield

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »
Hi!

I will be having a Open Wedge Distal Femoral Osteotomy in 2 weeks. My doc said he would scope and confirm that the knee is in the appropriate condition for the procedure just prior to performing the actual osteotomy. How did everything go with you? Please share about your recovery with me. I would really appreciate it!

support