Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Op Due Sept 28th  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Wirral Bagpuss

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee Op Due Sept 28th
« on: September 27, 2004, 03:19:19 AM »
Hi there
  My arthroscopy is due on Sept 28th, hospital advises i will be off work 2 weeks. At the moment my knee is a bit funny when i walk. It happened when i was sitting in the pub and my knee went as i turned to look at something. Now i have a small red mark on the joint where the problem is and when i walk i can feel something sticking into my knee like a small loose bone or something. The original knee injury occured over 5 years ago when i was on a boat at a Christmas party. I was dancing and i danced an awkward move and it popped felt like a crunch actually. Anyway the old injury was triggered at Easter this year when i slipped and fell and really hurt my knee. could not walk on it for some weeks. I cannot run or walk too quickly as loose "bone" in knee causes knee to give in.
 With this in mind what do you think the arthoscopy will find? Torn ACL? Ligamament damage or torn kneecap??? I am so nervous now, not so much with the op itself but what they will find and can do for me to fix the problem.

Can anyone offer advice?  ???
Partial Meniscus Ligament Tear: Repaired Oct 2004

Complete ACLTear:  ACL  Reconstruction March 2005

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Knee Op Due Sept 28th
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 04:41:37 AM »
No one could say for sure until the doc gets in there, but I dont think it'd be real bone causing the sensation you feel, unless you broke something. maybe a piece of meniscus or artticular cartilage? I'd think that if they remove whatever's floating loose inthere, you might be fine. Hope for the best, that's all you can do.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 05:31:15 AM »
Good luck with the surgery tomorrow. Here's hoping you get answers AND solutions!

LizL ::)
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline Abbie s Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Jennifer Reilly
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 02:31:35 PM »
I fell in December 2003. Since then I have slowly gotten to the point were I can hardly walk, stand or keep my legs at 90 degrees. AND I am a 29 year old mom of a running 22 month old.

I have had the X-ray- normal but bone swelling.

MRI - 2 months later shows less swelling but bilateral femoral=patellla chrondomalacia and small mensical tear in right knee.

Tried p/t- made things worse, still going though...

Tried corisone- no help

Tried Hylagan- ended up being one of the only documented allergic reactions in the US. AND I have no fish/poultry/egg/feather allergies? Anyone have a lotto ticket?

Doctor says that I fell and could have done something inside that he can not see, plus the swelling that now is starting up again, could be the Hylagan not leaving fast enough. ???

Now he wants to scope, clean up cartilage, and fix small tear.

I had the second opinion, who said the same but that there also is a cartilage replacement type of surgery, depending on the damage. Has anyone had that? Has anyone found any relief?

How did YOUR surgery go? Do you have scars? What happens after 2 weeks?
Jennifer Reilly
Abigael's mom 12/4/02
** No problems prior to fall of 12/7/03 on black ice. Is this related??? hmmmm....
Current diagnosis:
Bilateral Femoral-Patella Chrondo
PFS
Mal-tracking

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 04:41:19 PM »
HI, lifeovreilly!

I can hardly walk, stand or keep my legs at 90 degrees.

It sounds to me like you do need additional investigation of that knee! If you are very much opposed to a scope, you could seek a second opinion first. A second opinion almost always gives reassurance and often gives additional insight. Another thing you could do is allow the scope but specify what can be done during the scope. Really, though, the best course of action would be to find a doctor you trust,  discuss all of the probable courses of action with him/her, and then proceed from there.

When you get to the point that you know you will not get better, it's time to move forward with a more aggressive approach. That is not really a bad thing altogether, as it does help you make the decision, at least.

Good luck with the decision.

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline Abbie s Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Jennifer Reilly
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 04:51:16 PM »
Thanks! I had the second opinion, who stated my fear of the scope and not having things cleaned up or really seen inside could be the reason for this mess. I also went on WWatchers. Never was really really heavy, but always wore a size 10-12. I lost about 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks and no relief :(

I have an appointment for the 7th of Oct. I am going to make an appointment at that time for a scoping of both knees, if that can be done at the same time.

Jenn

THANKS! Had a bad gall bladder surgery, and was hospitlized on G-tube to eat.  I had a capsular shrinkage in my left shoulder (softball during college?) with this same doctor that wants to scope. Wish me luck. I want to walk and run with my daughter!!!!!
Jennifer Reilly
Abigael's mom 12/4/02
** No problems prior to fall of 12/7/03 on black ice. Is this related??? hmmmm....
Current diagnosis:
PFS
Mal-tracking

Offline Em.m

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 12:14:41 PM »
Hi Wirral Bagpuss,
Its good to see another Wirral girl ! :D

I hope the Arthroscopy went well and you get the results soon.

Take Care
Em
x
Lateral Release (R) 1983
3 years of Physio (R).
Failed operation (R)
Continuous Dislocations for 20 yrs
Roux Goldthwaite, (R) April 05
Lateral Release & Medial Reefing
(R) MPFL 07
(L) Worn away doing 2 knees work !
(L) knee TTT scheduled 8/08

Offline Wirral Bagpuss

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 05:04:22 AM »
I'm back!  ;D See my post on the post op thread! Major developments! I have a completley torn ACL :o and during my op on 28th Sept they repaired a partially torn menscuius ligament!

At least i have some answers now! Am still recovering, got home today hence the reason i have not posted for so long! Still finding walking around a problem but am getting there! Thanks for all your posts and kind wishes!  ;D :)
Partial Meniscus Ligament Tear: Repaired Oct 2004

Complete ACLTear:  ACL  Reconstruction March 2005

Offline Abbie s Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Jennifer Reilly
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 03:05:47 PM »
Glad they were able to figure out your problem. I hope you will be back to new in no time!

Jenn
Jennifer Reilly
Abigael's mom 12/4/02
Current diagnosis:
PFS
Mal-tracking