Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TOO YOUNG TO HAVE THESE PROBLEMS  (Read 1011 times)

Offline lydia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
TOO YOUNG TO HAVE THESE PROBLEMS
« on: September 21, 2004, 11:04:19 AM »
 ???Have a few questions, but first I will try to give you a history of my problems at age 11(1981) I had both knees reconstructed(repaired torn meniscus lateral and medial,shaved backs of and reshaped patellas,tightened ligaments) Left knee has not bothered me since.  Although right knee has never stoppped giving me problems-had medial joint pain up until about 1 1/2 years ago.  Had lateral meniscus repair and retinacular release in 1995 after injury and then injured again in 2003 and had lateral meniscus repair again in Feb of this year.  My right knee has not stopped hurting since the surgery.  Had alot of patellar tracking problems in the beginning but they are improving ,not gone ,but improving.  Having alot of pain over lateral joint space when walking on flat ground or up and down stairs or hills, Cannot bear weight at full extension without it feeling like bone on bone on that lateral side.  Post op I wore a Breg PTO then purchased a bledsoe knee cage for more lateral stability  and to prevent hyper extending.  Took a medrol dose pack(methylprednisone) HUGE improvement but very short lived.   Just went back to see my doctor again last week and now have a 25 degree flexible genu valgus of my rigth knee and he wants me in a lateral unloading brace now ,that he said I will probably have to wear for the rest of my life.  He explained surgical options which I don't want to try at this point although I do have a bone spur on my medial joint space and I worry when we load that side it will flare up and I will have to have it removed.  Why the Doc didn't remove when he was in there the last 2 times I don't know.  I guess the development of the genu valgus is the reason for the sudden relief of the medial pain. In the past  I had my right knee injected 1-3 times yearly  for the past 15 or so years for that medial pain. Doctor also states the catching in my knee is now being caused by a synovitis.  He also states no arthritic changes as of my last surgery in Febuary.  My questions are what causes this Genu valgus deformity at the age of 34.  Am I too young to consider the surgery to wedge my lateral joint compartment or wait to see if over time it becomes fixed as apposed to flexible.  Any other suggestions as to what I can do?  I am a professional in the horse business who owns a very active show stable and we travel on the road competing 3 weeks out of the month most of my days are atleast 14 if not 18 hour days.  And no I am not willing to change occupations I love what I do.
81-83 total recon L&R knees X 4
88-92 3 shoulder sx
98 R knee MR
03 R knee MR
11/04 L knee med. Partial Menisectomy
12/04 L knee C&S, Debridement
5/05 L knee lat.Partial menisectomy, Debridement of adhesions,Partial resection of ant. fat pad
4/06 Awaiting MRI L knee

Offline laxplayer5

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: TOO YOUNG TO HAVE THESE PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 03:48:33 PM »
Lydia
Definetly know how you feel. I'm fifteen and I have Jumper's Knee in my right knee. In my left knee I have a large meniscus tear and have to wear a knee immobilizer (goes from ankle to hip) for a month and then have surgery when I get back from a trip. I also suffer temporary paralisis in both of my legs when I lay flat and can't move my legs for 20 minuttes and then they are really weak.  >:(

Good Luck!
Keith
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 07:49:39 PM by laxplayer5 »
December 01-Chromadic Pattela tracking problem
January 06- Tear in Patellar Tendon (no surgery
Febuary 06-Paralysis Sprees gone now
March 06- knee tendinitis in L and R
August 06- suspected meniscus tear

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: TOO YOUNG TO HAVE THESE PROBLEMS
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 07:20:56 PM »
Lydia, maybe you should try get more opinions about your knee.
Have you had same doc all the way ? If so maybe it's time to let someone else look at you with fresh eyes and see what can be done.
Hope you can find a solution.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.