Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Opinons on effects of shoes on knees.  (Read 5334 times)

Offline californianative

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Lisa....a California Native
Opinons on effects of shoes on knees.
« on: September 21, 2004, 07:23:51 AM »
Ok, what is the general opinion of anyone who is willing to offer it on the effects of what type of shoes you wear and how do they affect  your knee and it's condition? I have been hearing plenty on the subject of what kind of shoes I wear and how my knee is affected by it, wondering what experiences anyone else has had. Thanks!
Lisa...a California Native
2003 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving
2004 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving, lateral release, meniscus repair, resurfacing of the bones.

shadehawk

Re: Opinons on effects of shoes on knees.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 02:21:22 PM »
I wear hiking shoes myself because they have a higher heel back.  They are Columbia Sawtooth and I can wear my orthotics inside them.  They also have a special lacing system which helps keep you feet in the proper place so there is less foot movement, but allow for greater comfort.
Sport Chek carries an assortment of this type of hiking shoe.  Price is very reasonable also.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 04:12:36 PM »
Shoes have some effect in knee pain.  There are so many different ones out there you just need to experiament and see what works best for you.  In terms of shoes w/o the addition of prescription orthotics most people find that New Balance shoes are the most comfortable and supportive.  Nike Shoxs have to be the worst shoe I have ever seen.  Both our basketball teams and track teams had them as their team shoe last year.  We have never seen so many LE overuse problems as we did when they had the Shoxs.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 06:50:19 PM »
Hey !!

What shoes you wear effect on your knees, at least on me.
I need good built shoes and often they cost too much.
I've never used shoes with high heels, well one time when I graduated.
I also prefer shoes with shoelaces.
You need to try different shoes. You sometimes can get help in sportsshops by walking or running at a band and a person looks on you and see how you walk and can give you help finding shoes.

Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline californianative

• Regular Poster
  • Lisa....a California Native
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 08:28:12 PM »
Well, my knee is basically toast, but I am looking to find comfort in what I'm stuck with, was getting lectures about not wearing good shoes, and if I did, I may get some relief. So, instead of trusting the opinions of those who don't know what I am dealing with, I am turning here because I know all of you know and are dealing with or have delt with the same thing, so the opinions expressed here are valued and will be used, thanks!
Lisa...a California Native
2003 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving
2004 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving, lateral release, meniscus repair, resurfacing of the bones.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 09:52:33 PM »
I'm very limited in shoes that I wear.  If I put the wrong kind on, it feels like a railroad spike is being driven into my knee with each step.  I wear Birkenstocks, New Balance running shoes, and any shoe with good arch support and a cushy sole.  Some of the summer sandals are flat, but they have no cushion in the sole, and I can't wear those at all.  I can't take a single step in anything with a heel--it's just too painful.  I can wear big platform shoes because the height is uniform and there is a lot of support.

Basically, I'm stuck with the 'comfort' or 'granny' shoes sold at the more expensive department stores, and even then I can't wear anything with a heel.  

Cushioned sole, arch support (I have extremely high arches) and a solid construction like hiking boot are required, and I have to get rid of anything with any kind of heel.  After my fourth knee surgery I gave away 50 pair of shoes.  I was a total Imelda Marcos--loved shoes, had literally 80-100 sets....no more.  Now I get excited by flat slides that have support, like the ones by Merril.  Oh, how the Imeldas have fallen....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 01:40:31 AM »
My legs kill me no matter what shoes. I have to dress up at work. I wear 2 in heels and the heels are very wide (boots, slip-ons, etc). But they're GOOD shoes. Franco Sarto mostly. It seems when I wear tennis shoes (adidas) I can consciously try not to hyper-extend when I walk. When I wear heels, I hyper extend automatically ( and usually do with adidas too). Since the pain doesn't change with the shoes, I just wear whatever (except no spiked heels). If I wear loafers with dress slacks I feel like a dumpy oopma loompa. I feel thinner in a heel. If I could wear shorts or sweats with my adidas every day I would LOVE it. That's what I live in outside of work. I HATE wearing a skirt with a flat heel. I may have to start wearing my adidas all the time though, if I ever have surgery. Maybe I'll get them in all colors!!!  Barefoot usually hurts the worst.

Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 02:07:01 AM »
Geez, Jane.  No wonder your knees hurt so much--no heels, young lady!  None--not two inch, not one inch, it doesn't matter how wide...yes, my knees still hurt no matter what shoes I wear, but they hurt a lot worse with any kind of elevation of the heel.

And Franco Sarto, while expensive, is not what I'd call a support shoe!  I have four pair, and they are all flat loafers.  They hurt my knee because there's not much cushion in the sole--it's like walking barefoot.  I agree, that is very painful--because there is no support or cushion.  

Try to find some Easy Spirit, Merril, or 'orthopedic' shoes.  You may have to get used to the look of flats and skirts--I did.  I first did flats with slacks, but then summer came and I finally decided I didn't care what it looked like--115 degrees is too hot for slacks.

Seriously, you might want to consider going to a store that sells comfort shoes and seeing what they have for office wear.  You may find your knee hurts a lot less during the day if you wear appropriate shoes.  I have definitely found this to be the case.  And if heels make you hyper-extend...don't wear them.  Seems pretty logical to me  ::) ;D

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 02:56:42 AM »
Yes, it's completely logical! I would feel much more comfortable if I could lose some of this weight! I really do hyperextend in tennies too, it's just easier to try not to, and then hopefully catch myself when my knees give out. It's funny. When people find out that I have not kneecaps they ask if I can bend like a flamingo (idiots). But my legs are bending that way more and more because of the way I've walked for so long. My hills kick very hard into the ground and everyone knows when I'm coming around a corner, or walking on the 2nd floor. If I wanted to "practice" bending my legs when I walk, I'll need a cane or crutch permanently. I can't quite swallow that yet. I guess it's time to swallow my oopma loompa pride and get rid of my shoes. (I'm assuming I'll NEVER be able to wear them again???). Maybe I'll put them on Ebay. I spent enough on them. I really really hate this part. Really really.   :'( :'(
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline LisaL

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 03:22:05 AM »
Definitely a correlation...I wear my Aerosole slingbacks with even the tiniest heel or a wedge sandal and my knees are killing me....I put on a pair of sneakers and I feel 10 times better walking doen the stairs.

I was able to wear my heels without problems before my last dislocation....I hope to be wearing them and my strappy sandals again next summer!
1991 - 1996 Multiple L Patellar Subluxations
1996 - LR & TTT Left Knee
2004 - R Patellar Dislocation & Avulsion Fracture
LR & Chondroplasty 7/14/04

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 06:11:23 AM »
Shoes definitely affect the way my knee feels. Most of the time I live in either my flip-flops(well, only in the summer) or New Balance sneakers. I've found that New Balance is pretty much the only brand that is really comfortable with my knee. I think it's because they give so much arch support.

For work(I'm a substitute teacher at the moment but more than anything wanting my own classroom), I have to dress up and right now I have 2 pairs of shoes that I'm able to wear at work. They're both from Aldo and they're actually fairly comfortable. One pair is totally flat open toe shoes and the other pair is a closed toe with a slight platform heel. I've been wearing the closed one for the past 4 school days that I've been working and my knee has been hurting but it's the best I can do. Tonight it's bad because I was standing for almost 2 hours straight this afternoon while teaching a 2nd grade class-not good and I try not to do that all the time but this time it was something I just had to do. I also have one pair of heels that are about 2 inches that I wear for interviews only. I absolutely love them and wish I could wear them every day but they KILL my knee. I used to be a total shoe freak so being so restricted as to the shoes I can wear is really frustrating!

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline sandra

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 12:20:58 AM »
I used to wear heels all the time, even for walking long distances.  No more!  I wear sturdy (but cute!) shoes with my orthotics for my commute which is lots of walking, but I do bring heels to change into at the office.   (For several months pre-op and about 6 months post-op I wore no heels at all.)   Now, I pretty just wear them to walk to the bathroom, my boss's office, etc.  I can't wear them for any longer than that.  I was at a symposium the last two days and had to wear heels, albeit low ones.  My knee is killing me today and I'm actually wearing my brace again.  

I do find there is less of an impact on my knee now that I've strengthened my quads considerably.

Heels are what I call "sitting shoes"!
1/04 left knee lateral release and debridement; grade 2-3 chondromalacia
7/05 left knee synvisc treatment
3/06 left knee debridement

Offline BuffettBarbie

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 01:56:12 AM »
Shoes.  I miss wearing my cute shoes with high heels!  They gave me strong quads!  They made me even taller than I am!  The knees went bad, and I could hardly wear them anymore.  This did not prevent me from buying the most adorable pair of pink Candies with a kitten heel two days before my TTT!  (They are a thing of beauty!)

Post-op of 5 weeks, and I am sentenced to wearing sneakers and Uggs.  Ugg is right.  I can't even wear my flip-flops or heel-less sandals, for fear of tripping hazard.  When I am having a bad day, and do not want to do my PT exercises, all I have to do is look in my closet at my massive shoe collection, and I am inspired!  "Someday, you will ensconce my feet again," I say, lovingly stroking a pair of Manolos, and resume to the living room to do 30 straight-leg raises.  

It was not the shoes that killed my knees.  Years of extreme sports, military, and bad genes did it.  Yes, the shoe you choose can aggravate an existing knee problem, but isn't the cause.  However, shoes can wreak havoc on feet.  Don't give up hope!  

Hugs,
Chris  :)
Lateral Release- Left Knee (Feb 2001)
Lateral Release- Right Knee (April 2001)
Fulkerson's TTO, Lateral Release, & Scope- Right Knee (20 Aug 2004)

Offline PPicard

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 10:51:53 PM »
There is lots of info regarding shoes for different type of "running" , walking. I am extremely flat footed. The main characteristic for me would be to look for an anti-pronation running shoe. Even if I don't run I take a running shoe rather than a walking shoe because they are usually build sturdier.
Paul

Offline elitest

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 11:15:33 PM »
 ???

what is pronation please ?

Do high heels really affect your knees....I love my heels.. :P

support