Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Multiply knee surgies (more than 15)  (Read 1764 times)

Offline mms

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Multiply knee surgies (more than 15)
« on: October 13, 2004, 08:27:24 AM »
I am a 41 year old female who has been active all of my life. I started having my first knee surgey when I was 14. I have had a total of 20 knee surgies between both knees. I am now facing my second partial knee replacement next week. I just had the left knee done this summer. And so far it appears to be successful. I have only had three orthropedic surgens my whole life and both have been pioneers in the field. Even though I have been through this before the surgey jitters seem to be worse this time around. Has anyone else been in this type of situation before?

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Multiply knee surgies (more than 15)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 10:05:16 PM »
I've had 12 surgeries. My last one was 6 years ago. I was terrified. Now I'm looking for an OS who will probably want to, at least, get a look inside both my knees. I've heard that a couple of different surgeries might help me. The thought of major surgery still terrifies me. I know, today, there are more options for pain management. I will definitely be looking into a femoral block. I'd never heard of it before this site. Every surgery I've had has been a nightmare in the recovery room. Terrible pain, on top of freezing! The thought of going through rehab, etc. is nauseating. I don't blame you one bit for being nervous. It never gets easier, contrary to what people who haven't had it done think. You know the drill, IV (not painless) stuck in your arm, possibly nautious, in pain, getting out of bed and the blood rushing to the cut. All of it. It's scary. You hang in there. Ask for a "chill pill" while you're waiting to go into surgery. I do everytime. It helps. I remember clearly, laying on the operating table, like I was on a cross, listening to everyone talk, then someone putting a mask over my nose and mouth which makes me panic terribly. I couldn't tell anyone cause I was drugged. It was only a second before I was out, but still, it unnerves me. Take care and know that everyone here can empathize. I think it takes a strong person to continue this horrible knee journey and still function with a semi-ok attitude to our family and friends.

Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 10:11:51 PM »
oh yes..been thru it almost 7 times and each one was still tuff,...best thing i always do is keep real busy in the days preceding the op..read..movies.be with friends...

take care and sending good thoughts and hugs your way..

ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Helen_uk

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 11:37:14 PM »
I have had in total 48 ops to date 5 on shoulders for dislocations and one sinus op the rest on my knees.
I have never had an easy time and each on is as hard if not harder that the previous it never gets easy and I sympathise with you all.
Any help I can offer just shout.
Love H xxx

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 11:50:59 PM »
Jane, also consider asking for an injection preop, usually VERSED is a great one as you will NOT remember anything after that injection. I have read and heard that when the femoral blocks work , they are wonderful, especially for total knees, and bigger surgeries where they can be left in postop for a few days to help control the post op pain. Good LUCK Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 07:30:11 AM »
I've had 5 knee surgeries on the same knee-2 of them were TTT's and I'm facing the possibility of another major one to hopefully fix my patella baja. I definitely have gotten more and more nervous with each surgery. I think it's because I know more of what to expect regarding the surgery, recovery and rehab. I clearly remember before my first surgery I was surprisingly calm but before my last big surgery I was totally hysterical. I was even terrified before my most recent surgery which was just a screw removal. The worst part for me is always being wheeled into the OR and lying on that operating table before they put you out. It's really scary. I would definitely ask for something to help calm you down while you're waiting to go into surgery. I've never been given anything but if I have this next surgery, I think I'm going to ask. I'd also recommend the femoral nerve block-they're great, I had one with both my TTT and TTT revision. It really does help with the post-op pain. We all understand what you're going through so if you need anything, feel free to ask away.

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline mms

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 07:21:39 AM »
Thank You  To ALL
The words of encouragement really help. And to all of those who have suggested the femeral block, it really does help. I had it on the last major knee surgey this summer (partial knee replacement - left). I all ready plan to ask the OS for it this time around too.
;D

support