Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 21 year old diagnosed Osgood Schlatters  (Read 7033 times)

Offline coech

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
21 year old diagnosed Osgood Schlatters
« on: September 14, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »
An athlete i coach age 21 has just started with knee pain and went to see a physiotherapist.
He was told he has osgood schlatters.
I thought this unusual for someone his age.
The physio reckoned it is rare for someone of his age .
Does anyone out there know of people of this age with this problem  and can only rest and ice be the cure.
coech

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: 21 year old diagnosed Osgood Schlatters
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 04:10:36 PM »
As good as physical therapists may be they cannot diagnosis problems.  They can only evaluate and make recommendations from there.  I think your athlete's next step should be to consult with an orthopedic surgeon.  The OS will be able to correctly diagnos the problem and determine a course of action.  The majority of PT have very little exposure to sports trauma, and they recieve little training in acute injury evaluation.  

Without knowing his symptoms or anything about his case, I can't offer any speculations about what it might be.  But since you said that it just started, in my mind that would rule out Osgood-schlatters.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline RGrelsamer, MD

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
    • Ronald P. Grelsamer, MD
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 12:09:25 AM »
osgood-schlatter's at this age is indeed unusual. I've never seen it. There could however be a tendinitis and patella alta.
Should be checked out by a health professional with a particular interest in this area.
R Grelsamer, MD
www.KneeHipPain.com
R Grelsamer MD
 www.KneeHipPain.com

Due to time and legal restrictions Dr. Grelsamer can respond just once to queries on the Bulletin Board. Thank you for your understanding.

Offline mikef

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 04:28:40 PM »
Hi all,

I am a 21 year old athlete who had fairly severe OS in my teenaged years.  I still have large lumps on my knees and they pain fairly often, ecpecially during/after sports and when sitting with my knee bent for any period of time.  

It was originally diagnosed as tendonitis in the ER, but my family doc finally Dxed OS.  

I have tried rest and ice, but nothing seemed to help, as rest made the pain go away for the moment, but it was back as soon as I did anything physical.  I now just live the pain and call myself an "old man" at the age of 21.  I cant wait to see what i'll be like in 20 years!!..lol..

So i hope that answers part of your question, yes there are 21 year olds living with OS