Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Menisectomy Success!!!  (Read 3495 times)

Offline rebsar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Menisectomy Success!!!
« on: September 11, 2004, 08:09:58 PM »
I tore my medial meniscus in January playing hockey. I had a partial menisectomy in March (30% removed).  I was very discouraged after the surgery. It took me a while to feel back to normal. But I kept working out and getting strong. I started practice again for our hockey season a few weeks ago and my knee feels great!!! I've been skating pretty hard on it and even have fallen on it a few times and feels 100%.  You never really hear the success stories. I had been reading a lot of posts on line that were very depressing.  I just want people to know that there are success stories out there.  My knee feels great!!! Thanks to everyone for your support. This board is great!!  :D
Jill

Offline Curtiss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Menisectomy Success!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 11:54:11 PM »
thats awesome! im facing one in 2 weeks due to a failed repair, and i am quite worried as im an avid surfer and really need my knees.  great to hear.

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 07:31:27 AM »
I have had several menisectomies and following each I had great recoveries.  Probably too good for the knowledge at the time.  After one I recovered enought to get back to running 50 to 70 miles a week which I do not advise any post menisectomy person to do.  

I am almost a year post HTO and in the past 2 month have probably refereed over 85 high school, competitve adult and college soccer matches.

Staying fit, doing the rehab and being smarter than I was about post menisectomy activity is the key to success.

Jim
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

Offline DKAL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 05:51:51 PM »
Hello success stories.. I'm hoping I'm starting one right now. I had a partial menisectomy in December, a little over a year after an attempted surgical repair, and two years after the initial injury. I did light rehab for a week, very little for a few weeks while walking way too much, got incredibly dilligent about it for about six weeks, but probably pushed it too hard. Lots of pain and stiffness. I took this week off, went back to my cane and knee brace and for all intensive purposes, am starting over. I feel good pain-wise, and am optimistic, but last week I noticed that with one hand on my outside thigh just above the knee, and one hand on the inside of my lower leg, just below the knee, I can move my knee joint pretty easily.

Is this something you all experienced? Or, do you think I have further problems?

Thanks!

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 05:33:43 PM »
Hello DKAL,

What you describe may be some laxity in the collateral ligaments which is something some folks have normally.  How stable does the knee feel under weight bearing and normal walking?  Describe this concern to your PT or OS as they can examine the joint and give you more accurate information based on hands on data.  Hqang in there.

Jim
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 09:00:52 PM »
Jill,
its great your surgery was a success! Thats wonderful, hope you recover great!
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy