Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar replacement after fracture  (Read 2776 times)

Offline mtclimber70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Patellar replacement after fracture
« on: August 26, 2002, 02:40:22 PM »
I just had my 4th knee surgery in 7 months for patella breaks.  I'm left with only 35% of my patella and am still experiencing a lot of pain.  My OS says there may not be enough patella left, and I may need to have the remainder removed.  He informed me that he would than attach the quadracept tendon to my tibia.  This would leave me with limited range of motion.  I have already lost 20% of my range of motion when they reattached last time.  I am a very active mountain climber, and do not want to loose anymore range of motion.  Can anyone offer me any information on patella replacements or some other option?
Thank You
Lissa

« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 02:39:01 PM by admin »

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Re: patella replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 02:15:07 PM »
I don't think that there is a true replacement for the patella.  I had my patella removed as a salvage procedure because of severe arthritis.  It does leave you with lasting problems.  I lost about 30 - 40% of my quad strength.  I lost the ability to completely straighten my leg and lost some ROM.  I have since had a knee replacement on that knee.  My OS did a procedure that has only been done on one other person that I know of.  He took a piece of bone removed when he cut for the prothesis.  The bone was put inside of my patella tendon as a smaller *pseudo* patella.  It has helped some but not to the extent that I wanted.  I am now having the same kind of issues that I had when I was patella-less.  My knee is giving way and the strength seems to be less.  Its not an easy situation.  Hopefully you will find a way to be able to continue with your climbing.
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

Offline ceciliamidd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: patella replacement
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 07:05:38 AM »
I had asked my doctor the same question, if I could have a patella replacement, in my case I didn't need it because it was enough bone to put it together and wired. I heard that used to be a patella replacement, that the part (metalic) was brought at one point from Germany, but doctors here in the US do not want to do it and in their place the romoved the patella.
If you still have 35% of your patella, how did you loose the rest??? :-[
Look in the internet for doctors that still do patella replacement or look where a doctor can get this metalic one from Germany.
I lost a lot of my motion but I have regain 90% of it, my problem is that I lock my leg when I walk, but I been told that with exercises and walking I will get it back.

Best of luck to you

Cecilia