Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osgood Schlatter's?  (Read 3190 times)

Offline lmcc6

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Osgood Schlatter's?
« on: September 08, 2004, 11:31:36 PM »
I am new to this kneeguru site, and i must say, it's great to see people communication with others suffering the same problems.  I never knew knee problems were so common!
My question to everyone is, do i have Osgood Schlatter's disease?  I developed a lump underneath my patella when i was 12, and it was painful when i played netball.  I wore an elastic support when playing, which helped a bit.  I'm now 19, and the problem has gotten so bad that even when i try to get to sleep my knee aches.  I can't kneel down, get off the ground without help, or even stand from sitting on a chair without looking 10 times my age!  My knee doesn't make any noises (thank goodness), but the lump does inflame to about twice it's size when i play sport.  The lump is always there and is now about the size of a yummy strawberry.
What do you all think it could be?  Is there anything that i can do?  Both my parents are doctors, and shrug it off saying that it's just growing pains (although i think i'm full grown by now), my gp just tells me to stop playing sport, and i have even had an x-ray, which showed a small bit of bone tissue on the top of my lump, but the doctor just laughed and told me to wear my support.   ???

Offline bdmrad

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Re: Osgood Schlatter's?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 04:31:53 AM »
Sure sounds like Osgood Schlatter's. Like my son. Ibuprofen and rest help. Also the brace helps. He likes the McDavid jumpers knee brace - cheap, adjustable and comfortable
MPFL reconstruction 10/03

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 06:45:44 AM »
Both of my kids wear the jumpers knee brace for OSgoods too. Rest  and ibuprofen are all the GP and OS  recommended for my kids.

Missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline scousegirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 02:33:46 AM »
The bit of bone on top of the lump suggests that when you originally injured your knee you may have detached part of the cartilaginous growth plate where the patella tendon attaches to the tibia.  The bit of cartilage gradually turns to bone as you mature.

If you've had this problem so long I think you should at least get an OS opinion.  Sometimes they remove the fragment of bone.  They may recommend no intervention or physio initially.  

As a physio I'd suggest that you check that you have good length of rectus femoris muscle.  This band of muscle runs down the middle of the front of the thigh.  At the top it attaches to the pelvis above the hip joint.  At the bottom it forms a tendon within which the patella is embedded.  This tendon attaches to the tibial tuberosity, the lump you can feel below the knee-cap.

The test:  Lie on your front with knees together.  Bend the affected knee and take hold of the foot or ankle.  Try to pull the heel towards your backside.  You should be able to get your heel to your bottom without effort.  If you can't, do the test procedure as a stretch.  Daily, ten repetitions, holding for 20 seconds.  Lengthening this muscle reduces the pressures on the back of the knee-cap and the patella tendon.

I've had many patients with similar problems.  It's often not the presence of the boney fragment that is the problem.  Just a muscle that stayed short when your femur suddenly lengthened in a growth spurt.

I'd love to hear how you get on!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 02:36:24 AM by scousegirl »