Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: back to work after oats  (Read 8182 times)

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: back to work after oats
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 07:28:45 PM »
Thank you both for your concern.  I have been sulking and feeling sorry for myself since my appointment yesterday.  It went exactly as I anticipated and worse.
It seems that the scar tissue/plica is really what is causing all my problems and it definately needs to be cut out.  On top of that my OS believes my Q angle of 30 is beginning to 'come into play', causing my kneecap to track laterally which is tearing up the cartilege under my kneecap.  And...I have prepatellar bursitis..? Whatever that is...some sort of bursa inflamation which isnt exactly a major problem, just a pain in the butt.  He was going to send me for an MRI to check all this out but then said 'why bother, it hurts, so there are problems and we really should just scope'.  So our game plan is for a scope...scar tissue removal, plica resection, debridement and check out the condition of the underside of the kneecap.  He said it is possible that the scar tissue is causing the problems with the kneecap since I didnt have any problems with tracking before.  Many people have high q angles with no problems.  
I really dont know what to think right now.  I'm frustrated, disappointed and downright angry(not with anyone in particular, just the knee in general)

Janice, I understand what you were saying about the scope probably being the best thing right now.  I think I truly feel the same but, I have my doubts.  I really dont want to be dealing with this much longer.  It seems like the OATS was a success and I just want to get on with things already.  If it wasnt for all this soft tissue stuff...I dont know...I guess there is no sense in talking about the what ifs.  I need to deal with it now.  
Anyway, I'm glad your feeling a bit better.  Going it on your own may just be exactly what you need.  Sometimes its best to just listen to your body. Thank you so much for all your support...it means alot to me.
Kathy
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2004, 07:29:42 PM »
Jack,

I have been wondering how you are doing?  Whats going on?  Hows the knee?

Kathy
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2004, 01:35:59 AM »
Hey Kathy,

Here is why you bother with an MRI...he can't see the underlying bone during the scope.  When my OS said that he wanted an MRI before my scope, I told him no that's okay.  He told me he was a really great surgeon, but he didn't have x-ray vision.  I quickly agreed with him.  The MRI showed that the bone was messed up (cystic) even though the scope the next day looked good.  

In terms of your comment, "I really dont want to be dealing with this much longer." , the longer you wait to have the scope the longer you will be dealing with the problem.  Get it done and be on with it.  Don't let this be anything but  a hiccup.

Good luck...Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2004, 08:45:02 PM »
Janice,

I think the reason he says skip it is because right now we are dealing with soft tissue things.  He was referring to getting an MRI to see what the scar tissue and cartilage on the back of the kneecap looks like.  At this point we know where we stand with the OATS and the articular cartilage on the femur and tibia.  OATS looks good, plugs look great.  Tibia...not so good, but bearable at the moment.

I know what you mean about not having xray vison but its more surface things right now and not the deep bone issues.  Although, knowing my luck......nevermind, I wont go there right now.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the call to schedule the scope.  I think you are right and I am going to get it done as soon as possible.  Thanks for the advice, it was just what I needed.
Kathy
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

brattkids2

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004, 08:57:25 PM »
Kathy,

Paulette here again.

Was wondering if when your first OATS didnt work did you have feelings of snapping in your knee. I am getting where when I walk my knee catches and I get a hard snap. It even sounds like a tight rubber band and hurts like a SOB for a few minutes.

I have my scope on Thursday so hopefully I will get some answers!!!

thanks again for your help!!

Paulette

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2004, 09:08:39 PM »
Paulette,

No, but I definately get that now.  It is on the surface, not deep inside the joint.  OS says it is classic plica.
With the first Oats I was having alot of 'clunking'.  The knee would get to a point and then get sort of stuck...hard to explain...and then 'clunk' it would go again.  That hurt like an SOB too.  OS said that was the tibia getting stuck on the part of the graft that was sticking out. Sounds gross when you think about it. Maybe that explains why my tibial lesion has gotten worse...
Anyway,  its a little weird how we are both having such unbelievably similar issues now.   Please...let me know how things go on Thursday.  My scope is scheduled for dec 9th.  
Kathy
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

brattkids2

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2004, 04:13:18 AM »
thanks for getting back to me!!!

mabey one of the grafts just overgrew??? wishful thinking huh  ;D

I will certainly let you know how it goes. Im getting nervous. But I know all will go well.

thanks again
Paulette

brattkids2

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2004, 04:16:06 AM »
p.s. that just wishful thinking that it would be easily shaved down but Im not sure if thats possible or not

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2004, 08:46:01 PM »
Paulette,

I just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow.  I know you are a little nervous but keep in mind that this scope is nothing like the Oats.  Hopefully your OS will find the problems and be able to take care of it right away.  
Please post as soon as you are up to it.

I'll be thinking of you.
Kathy  
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

brattkids2

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2004, 03:42:53 PM »
HI Kathy,

Well surgery is over. OS had to remove a piece of loose chondyle in the joint. It was the size of a 50 cent piece and thats why I was getting all the catching and pain.

Also my OATS from August had failed on the medial femoral side so I had that redone with my own plug this time not the synthetic material.

Well another 3 to 6 weeks NWB but It could be worse!!
My kids are being great helpers so far and so is hubby. OS told him that I was right and not crazy LOL. There was something floating in the knee and it wasnt in my head.

I will keep ya posted on my progress. Please keep me posted on yours. I know you will behaving a scope in December.

thanks
Paulette

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2004, 08:11:42 PM »
Paulette,

I'm glad to hear that none of this was in your head ;)
but sorry to hear that the Oats failed.  I truly know exactly how you feel, to think you have gone thru all that for nothing and knowing you have to do it all over again.  I'm sorry you have to go thru that.  At least your kids and husband are being wonderful.  As guilty as I felt after the 2nd one...I was very grateful to have my kids around to 'help' mom.  They were angles (most of the time) and very eager to help poor mom with the big boo boo.
Well, like you said...3-6 more weeks does stink but it could have been worse.  
You seem to be in pretty good spirits...or maybe thats the drugs ;)  Take care of yourself and keep me posted.
Kathy
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

brattkids2

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2004, 01:30:21 AM »
Hi Kathy,

Went to my first post-op visit today and OS explained the pictures of the surgery to me. I had two thick bands of scar tissue from the femur to the patella (said it was causing some of my extention problems the condyle piece also contributed to that) and some scar tissue on the medial side of the femur- not really bad though.

I asked why would the other graft fail as the lateral side had not failed. He thought that a possible reason was the even though the medial side was a smaller lesion it was much deeper (all the way to the bone. I even had a chunk out of the bone from my injury impact.) At  least I got a possible explanation. He is pretty confident that using my own tissue this time it should take. I told him Im not throwing out the t-rom immobilizer just yet LOL.

He had to use 2 9mm plugs to fill the hole.

I did get to take the brace of and am now able to bend which make nwb for 4 more weeks a bit more tolerable. I just hope I dont develop a scar tissue problem. At my OATS on August 3 there was some that he removed due to my previous surgeries. I get to start some leg extentions and things so I hope it will go ok.

Hope your doing ok and not in too much pain. Keep me posted.

Paulette

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2004, 05:12:59 PM »
Paulette,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  We took the kids to Disney for Thanksgiving.  It was a very much needed vacation and only returned home yesterday.  The knee held up ok.  I needed to take things slowly and take alot of breaks, something the kids werent too crazy about, but we had a great time anyways.  Right now the knee is swollen, aches and is catching constantly but I couldnt possibly have postponed our trip.  Kids have missed out on too much over the past year, I couldnt take Mickey Mouse away from them.  

Your post sounds very encouraging.  I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that these plugs heal well and that you dont develop scar tissue again.  
How have things been coming along the past 2 weeks?  You must be getting close to partial weight bearing.  

Please let me know how you are doing.
My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday :-/

Kathleen
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

brattkids2

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2004, 10:10:34 PM »
Hi Kathy,

Ohhhhh I love Mickey Mouse Land.   :D ;D We went last year at this time it was awsome. My kids loved it. their smiling faces made the knee pain a bit more bearable!!

I am partial weight bearing as of today. OS said about 25 to 35% of weight. He said take it slow.  I go back on the 8th and if that small weight was good I will be graduated off the crutches!!

I told him that I still have the horrible pain on extention and he is just hoping that the muscles are weak and making the patella not track correctly. Can strengthening the muscles really pull the patella back to where it should be?? Can scare (no thats not a spelling error just my pun for how I feel  LOL)  tissue come back that fast??

The joint is really sore today with the added weight but ok. Sorry bout all the questions!!

At least your surgery is fast approaching and you can get some relief (Im praying for you) I know it will go well.
Keep me posted. Its great to have someone to talk with that knows what im feeling.

Best of luck
Paulette

brattkids2

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2004, 10:12:49 PM »
p.s. have you ever heard of OATS being done on the hip. Os think I may have cartilage damage in my hip too due to my fall in the hole. I have been searching on the internet and cant find any information.

He doesnt do hips though so after this knee thing is done I will have to find a hip guy. I am going to wait a bit on that though hip isnt unbearable yet.

Paulette

support