Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: my 4 year old son  (Read 938 times)

Offline maxine1602

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
my 4 year old son
« on: September 08, 2004, 12:13:22 PM »
Hello, I have never used any thing like this before but feel very confused at the moment. I spent 3 hours in our local A&E dept on Monday night with my 4 yr old son, his brother had kicked him, sort of a tackle across the side of his shin, 3 hours later he was still unable to stand, infact he crumpled if he put any weight on his leg at all, so off we went to hospital! They x-rayed his knee said there was no damage to the bones and sent us home. Today he still cannot put any weight on his leg but he isn't in constant pain, only if he tries to use it, I am having to keep him off school, carry him everywhere and I have the feeling that I should be doing something more for him but I don't even know exactly what he has damaged? Please could someone give me some advice or tell me where I can get some. Thank you .

Offline wimple

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: my 4 year old son
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 12:21:54 PM »
Hi there, I'd take him to see your GP and see what they think, the A&E department should have at least told you what they thought was wrong (perhaps a minor ligament sprain or something) as sometimes its just a case of resting it for a few days. The A&E department should have let your GP know that you visited and what they found, so would definitely make that your first port of call as they can always refer you back to the hospital if necessary. If its just rest he needs then at least you know you're doing the right thing. I'm a mum to a 2 and a half year old and also a nursery teacher so can appreciate your concern. Hope you find some answers. Good Luck.

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 06:47:13 PM »
Hey there....

I assume you are UK based from your A + E description...An x-ray on its own is not really sufficient by the sounds of it..... It sounds more likely to be ligament or other soft tissue damage than bone damage (if the x-ray was interpreted correctly) and an MRI scan is vital if that is the case and his leg is still giving way due to mechanical problems (not pain or psychological)....especially at 4 years old....
Either way, I think your GP is definately your first port of call...
Try and find out from your son where it hurts / symptoms etc and how/why/what movements are causing his leg to give way....(if it still is)

If your gp cant throw any light on it and you dont want to have to wait for a hospital referral then you could always seek a private surgeons opinions...(reputable surgeons are listed at the top of this page under knee surgeons. Just search for your area -UK consultation is about 120 initially. This is a good way of getting a preliminary diagnosis if you are UK based and dont want to have to wait for the hospitals opinion. It also means if you go through the right channels you are guaranteed a good surgeon.

If your son is still having acute problems (eg/cant walk at all or in a lot of pain) if I were you I would take him back to the A+E and refuse to leave until you have had a satisfactory diagnosis or been given some proper info (I know this is easier said than done but needs must and all that...)
Hope this helps

Good Luck...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 09:47:49 PM by andrewc »
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 06:53:52 PM »
Hey !!

I don't know how things work where you live. But if it were me I would definately call the hospital where you were and ask them what you are going to do.
I'm sure they can look in the papers and give you an answer.

Hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 09:20:30 PM »
Maxine,
I cant believe how similar this is to a situation I had with my daughter when she was 2.  She had fallen down in the bathtub and could not walk on her leg.  I took her to the emergency room and they did xrays.  Doctor there said there was nothing wrong, no breaks of any sort.  Two days later she is still in pain and not walking.  I take her back to the ER where they do more xrays and still say nothing is wrong.  The next day I took her to my pediatrician because I knew something had to be wrong.  He sent me to an Orthopedic which we saw about 1 week later.  The Orthopedic wanted to see the original xrays before doing more so I picked them up from the hospital.  WELL....after looking at the original xrays for about 1 minute he points out a clear spiral fracture completely down her tibia....GO FIGURE!
Finally over a week later she has a cast put on.  
I'm not trying to scare you.  It just goes to show you that emergency departments are not always right.  I would definatley get second and third opinions if your son does not improve.
Good luck!  I really hope he is ok.
Kathy
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 05:54:54 PM »
I'd agree with everyone else, that you should take your son to his PCP (Primary Care Practitioner) and have this seen to.  :-[ You don't want to risk that he's going to hurt something else or make it worse by keeping going the way it is.
Goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

support