Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee lump  (Read 1044 times)

Offline verojay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee lump
« on: September 07, 2004, 09:52:09 AM »
Hello!

A few months ago, I fell, full weight on my right knee. I had immediate and excruciating pain and couldn't straighten it.  So, I went to the ER. They thought from the way it looked (very swelled, black, etc), that I had broken it. But x- ???rays showed, I didn't. They said to go to my Ortho and have him look at it. In the meantime, couldn't walk on it, straighten it, etc.

I got into my ortho about 2 weeks later.  My ortho x-rayed it again, just to make sure there were no breaks and there were not. He said he didn't think there were ligament tears, because my knee would "look different". So, I went home, iced it and it took months to heal. Now, it seems healed, except, there is a weird hard lump on it, with an indention that is below it. It is still somewhat tender and grinds and makes noises when I move it. Does this sound like an improperly healed  torn ligament? The lump is weird and I have had a few people comment on it. Just curious...maybe I Need to seen a different doc.
Thanks!

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Knee lump
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 04:22:21 PM »
Where is the lump located? It is possible that you could have torn a meniscus and that can cause a Bakers cyst to develop. Maybe look at Bakers Cyst description and see if it sounds like what you have.  It's basically a fluid filled cyst that forms when there is a leakage of synovial fluid.  But they can be oh so hard!
Hopefully you can get your knee sorted out.
Goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline verojay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 08:06:22 PM »
Hello:

The lump is on the knee cap (front of the knee) .  I looked up baker's cyst and it sounds like they are on the back of the knee? mine is on the front...size of a walnut or so.  The indention seems strange-right below it.  

Thanks for responding! Any other thoughts?

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 09:17:48 PM »
meniscal cyst is basically the same things as a baker cyst!  ;D  
No other thoughts, about what the walnut could be.. However, I will say that ligaments are farely deep int he joint, so I don't think (correct me if i'm wrong) you'd get a lump out there if there was a problem with a liagement.  Maybe the tendon was damaged that runs down the front from the kneecap.
Hope that helped... ::)
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 05:45:37 PM »
No.....

Its NOT a ligament as the lump is at surface level of the kneecap...and you would have far bigger problems than just a lump!!
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,