Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: how much for a torn meniscus?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline eds_place

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • ouch
how much for a torn meniscus?
« on: September 06, 2004, 08:31:30 PM »
hey i'm from the UK and had acl reconstruction nearly 2 years ago. i was playing sport last week and i think i've torn my meniscus,(it was already pretty mashed first time round just not bad eniough to remove)
i had the acl done privately and that was about 3300 and i'm wondering how much this is gonna cost me! i'm picking your collective brains as asking my surgeon this simply question will probably cost me the best part of 200 (nice)

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Re: how much for a torn meniscus?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 12:28:08 AM »
Hi There

Im UK based and from my own research into a private arthroscopy you are looking at between
1600 - 1750~. (this is for the whole procedure and meds etc before you leave hospital)...it doesnt cover physio etc as Im sure you will know if you went private for an ACL recon!....

Also, that is for a partial menisectomy (where they just trim and remove the damaged bit)......
More involved surgery like meniscal repair can raise the price a bit but most meniscal tears are not suitable for repair and are removed.

Hope this helped
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 03:11:31 AM »
Bupa charge 2300 for an all inclusive package for a scope.  If there is anything else wrong or any complications, then if possible it is sorted at the same time at no extra charge.  One follow up appointment is included and a quick physio session and crutches.  Physio is extra.  3 years ago it was 1900.  All the joys of a duff health service eh!
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline eds_place

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • ouch
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 12:23:13 PM »
ok well thanks. how much do you think i could get for my kidneys they're in great condition only one owner. maybe that could help differ the cost!
same question to someone in Australia. my brother's out there as a physio if i had surgery there would that work out any cheaper? (i know you can't put a price on health but i got bills to pay)

support