Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthroscopy - what can I expect?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline nick1579

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Arthroscopy - what can I expect?
« on: September 06, 2004, 04:19:53 PM »
Hi,

I'm mostly likely having an ACL reconstruction later in the year. I also have a grade 3 MCL tear. My Doc wants to do an Arthroscopy next month, which I've agreed to, but was just wondering what it's all about? In particular...

(a) will he actually do anything to the knee (i.e. remove any unwanted fragments), or merely have a look at what's going on?
(b) How long will the treatment last? Will I be needing to stay overnight?
(c) Is it painful afterwards? Will I be able to walk okay?

I'll probably post this on the surgery board aswell. Any comments appreciated.

Nick
Grade 3 MCL/ACL tear June 04. Arthoscopy September 04. ACL reconstruction hopefully before the end of the year!

Offline nick1579

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Arthroscopy - what can I expect?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 04:19:53 PM »
Hi,

I'm mostly likely having an ACL reconstruction later in the year. I also have a grade 3 MCL tear. My Doc wants to do an Arthroscopy next month, which I've agreed to, but was just wondering what it's all about? In particular...

(a) will he actually do anything to the knee (i.e. remove any unwanted fragments), or merely have a look at what's going on?
(b) How long will the treatment last? Will I be needing to stay overnight?
(c) Is it painful afterwards? Will I be able to walk okay?

I'll probably post this on the surgery board aswell. Any comments appreciated.

Nick
Grade 3 MCL/ACL tear June 04. Arthoscopy September 04. ACL reconstruction hopefully before the end of the year!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Arthroscopy - what can I expect?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 09:05:01 PM »
Only your doctor can tell you what he's going to do when he gets inside your knee. You'll want to ask him that question. If he's going to do an ACL reconstruction later on you might want to have them both done at once.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "treatment", I'm assuming you mean the surgery? That's another question you need to ask you doctor. It largely depends on what he's going to do.

Most people (in the USA anyway) are out of the hospital within a couple hours after surgery.

Yes, it hurts. How much depends on your pain tolerance. You'll need crutches afterwards. Most people can walk in 2-3 days but again, it depends on your pain tolerance and what was done in surgery.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 09:05:01 PM »
Only your doctor can tell you what he's going to do when he gets inside your knee. You'll want to ask him that question. If he's going to do an ACL reconstruction later on you might want to have them both done at once.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "treatment", I'm assuming you mean the surgery? That's another question you need to ask you doctor. It largely depends on what he's going to do.

Most people (in the USA anyway) are out of the hospital within a couple hours after surgery.

Yes, it hurts. How much depends on your pain tolerance. You'll need crutches afterwards. Most people can walk in 2-3 days but again, it depends on your pain tolerance and what was done in surgery.

Offline cgski

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 12:29:32 AM »
Nick, I had arthroscopy 4 hours ago - basically for a EUA and clean up following ski accident in Feb diagnosed then  as acl and mcl tear.

Op revealed acl intact (whooppee) they debrided the mcl and meniscus ie cut off all the loose crap, and washed it out.

And hey, here I am at home 4 hours later - it really hardly hurts, can walk without crutches just a bit woozy from anaesthetic.

Just don't worry about it - it's fine - really.

cgski

ps Thank you UK NHS - which is always getting so much stick. They did a great job today - and the OS made sure I got my op notes, saw the pics and came to see me 3 times today - excl the op.

Offline cgski

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 12:29:32 AM »
Nick, I had arthroscopy 4 hours ago - basically for a EUA and clean up following ski accident in Feb diagnosed then  as acl and mcl tear.

Op revealed acl intact (whooppee) they debrided the mcl and meniscus ie cut off all the loose crap, and washed it out.

And hey, here I am at home 4 hours later - it really hardly hurts, can walk without crutches just a bit woozy from anaesthetic.

Just don't worry about it - it's fine - really.

cgski

ps Thank you UK NHS - which is always getting so much stick. They did a great job today - and the OS made sure I got my op notes, saw the pics and came to see me 3 times today - excl the op.

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 01:57:17 AM »
Our arthroscopy protocol (diagnostic knee scope) :

done outpatient
spinal anesthesia
post-op pain management : nothing... just paracetamol tablets when needed
Ice applications  20mins 4 times a day
crutches? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
ROM? YES!!! get it back asap from day 0!
Post-op PT : mostly no post-op PT, sometimes 9 visits are prescribed
check-ups : 2ce (1st to removestitches, 2nd to evaluate)

Every OS/hospital has it's own post arthroscopy protocol. To know if your OS will do some work in the knee, ask the OS!!! Only he knows!
Is it painfull? Probably a bit but nothing you can't cope with. If necessary take painmeds!
Can you walk? Yep

Had a scope myself and found it 'easy' ::)

Good luck!
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 01:57:17 AM »
Our arthroscopy protocol (diagnostic knee scope) :

done outpatient
spinal anesthesia
post-op pain management : nothing... just paracetamol tablets when needed
Ice applications  20mins 4 times a day
crutches? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
ROM? YES!!! get it back asap from day 0!
Post-op PT : mostly no post-op PT, sometimes 9 visits are prescribed
check-ups : 2ce (1st to removestitches, 2nd to evaluate)

Every OS/hospital has it's own post arthroscopy protocol. To know if your OS will do some work in the knee, ask the OS!!! Only he knows!
Is it painfull? Probably a bit but nothing you can't cope with. If necessary take painmeds!
Can you walk? Yep

Had a scope myself and found it 'easy' ::)

Good luck!
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

support