Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS Treatment  (Read 1223 times)

Offline chuckw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
OATS Treatment
« on: September 05, 2004, 01:49:37 AM »
I am about 2 weeks out from an OATS treatment.  I am so jittery about it, I have a second opinion next week. I really like my Doctor and believe the information he is giving me is correct on diagnosis.  I searched him out after having an MRI.  My GP has not been any help but has given me the name of the referral.  He does not know anything about the procedure.  I have investigated this board and know about it.  My Doc thinks a 10MM graft will correct the problem.  His insurance clerk cannot tell me whether my company will cover and I'm definitely holding up till I learn.  Spoke to the assistant and can reschedule any time.  My main concern on the treatment is rehab.  From the posts it seems like lenghtly rehab and my Doc hasn't  spoken that much about it.  He said he has done several of these procedures about 11 and things seem to go well.  I am going to the largest city in the state and get an opinion.  No one in my county "to my knowledge" has ever had this and my GP does not know of any one.  I am 59 years of age and wonder if I'm getting in over my head.  My ortho doc says the plug is the only way to avoid arthritis and my knee is in very good shape except the small place.  I am having so many jitters on this issue.  My wife seems to think I can't make up my mind but I'm kinda shooting in the dark.  I do like the ortho doc and I think he is trying to help.  When he first scoped I gave him permission to clean up arthritis etc.  He didn't do the deburrying as he said he could repair the area.  I'm sure he will do the condo pricking if I suggest.  I am so confused, can anyone shed any light on my problem.  Is age 59 the time to get into this.  I'm reasonably healty.  Just want as much information as possible.

Offline chuckw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
OATS Treatment
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 01:49:37 AM »
I am about 2 weeks out from an OATS treatment.  I am so jittery about it, I have a second opinion next week. I really like my Doctor and believe the information he is giving me is correct on diagnosis.  I searched him out after having an MRI.  My GP has not been any help but has given me the name of the referral.  He does not know anything about the procedure.  I have investigated this board and know about it.  My Doc thinks a 10MM graft will correct the problem.  His insurance clerk cannot tell me whether my company will cover and I'm definitely holding up till I learn.  Spoke to the assistant and can reschedule any time.  My main concern on the treatment is rehab.  From the posts it seems like lenghtly rehab and my Doc hasn't  spoken that much about it.  He said he has done several of these procedures about 11 and things seem to go well.  I am going to the largest city in the state and get an opinion.  No one in my county "to my knowledge" has ever had this and my GP does not know of any one.  I am 59 years of age and wonder if I'm getting in over my head.  My ortho doc says the plug is the only way to avoid arthritis and my knee is in very good shape except the small place.  I am having so many jitters on this issue.  My wife seems to think I can't make up my mind but I'm kinda shooting in the dark.  I do like the ortho doc and I think he is trying to help.  When he first scoped I gave him permission to clean up arthritis etc.  He didn't do the deburrying as he said he could repair the area.  I'm sure he will do the condo pricking if I suggest.  I am so confused, can anyone shed any light on my problem.  Is age 59 the time to get into this.  I'm reasonably healty.  Just want as much information as possible.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: OATS Treatment
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 02:12:32 AM »
To be honest, from everything I've read your age puts you out of the ideal patient selection criteria...but I'm not a doctor, so I can't say for sure.  

I have researched OATS fairly extensively as a potential solution to my chondral defects and from my understanding patient selection criteria is key to the success of the operation.  Among the requirements, most doctors indicate that a patient under age 45 is ideal, because as we age our ability to heal and incorporate new bone declines.  

But I would imagine that it's also important to take into account the patient's overall health, activity level, etc.  A 60 year old fitness instructor, for example, would probably be a better risk for this type of surgery than a sedentary, overweight 40 year old, I would think.  That's because exercise and physical fitness in general increase bone density, boost the immune system, and decrease time to heal.

I guess if you are still doubtful, it might be a good idea to see yet another doctor--preferrably one who does dozens and dozens of these procedures each year.  11 is frankly not a lot...also, at your age you are eligible for a total knee replacement, which has a very good success rate.  Usually, OATS is recommended when other, less drastic measures like microfracture have failed.  It's a huge, long recovery, but many have had good results.  Hopefully, you will, too.

Again, a doctor who does lots of cartilage restoration procedures would be the one to guide you here.  Also, be sure to discuss what your objectives are with respect to the surgery--if you are not having a lot of pain but want to stave off arthritis and future pain, that's one thing.  If you have a lack of mobility, lots of pain, and have damage in other areas of the knee, that's another issue entirely.

I know this probably isn't really helpful, but when you are considering a surgery as big as OATS, it is a good idea to see lots of doctors.  I'm looking at a big, nasty, open surgery as well, and have seen 6 OS's....

Heather
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 02:13:59 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: OATS Treatment
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 02:12:32 AM »
To be honest, from everything I've read your age puts you out of the ideal patient selection criteria...but I'm not a doctor, so I can't say for sure.  

I have researched OATS fairly extensively as a potential solution to my chondral defects and from my understanding patient selection criteria is key to the success of the operation.  Among the requirements, most doctors indicate that a patient under age 45 is ideal, because as we age our ability to heal and incorporate new bone declines.  

But I would imagine that it's also important to take into account the patient's overall health, activity level, etc.  A 60 year old fitness instructor, for example, would probably be a better risk for this type of surgery than a sedentary, overweight 40 year old, I would think.  That's because exercise and physical fitness in general increase bone density, boost the immune system, and decrease time to heal.

I guess if you are still doubtful, it might be a good idea to see yet another doctor--preferrably one who does dozens and dozens of these procedures each year.  11 is frankly not a lot...also, at your age you are eligible for a total knee replacement, which has a very good success rate.  Usually, OATS is recommended when other, less drastic measures like microfracture have failed.  It's a huge, long recovery, but many have had good results.  Hopefully, you will, too.

Again, a doctor who does lots of cartilage restoration procedures would be the one to guide you here.  Also, be sure to discuss what your objectives are with respect to the surgery--if you are not having a lot of pain but want to stave off arthritis and future pain, that's one thing.  If you have a lack of mobility, lots of pain, and have damage in other areas of the knee, that's another issue entirely.

I know this probably isn't really helpful, but when you are considering a surgery as big as OATS, it is a good idea to see lots of doctors.  I'm looking at a big, nasty, open surgery as well, and have seen 6 OS's....

Heather
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 02:13:59 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell