Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: so much pain  (Read 781 times)

Offline chris.j

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
so much pain
« on: September 03, 2004, 06:49:11 AM »
can anyone help?

i injurd my knee 5 years ago in a pool while at army traning my knee was facing the wrong way i had to put it back in myself when i got to the hosp thay drained fluid from around the knee and a few days later i was medicaly discharged i went to a GP when i got back home to arange phiseo but instead he gave me painkillers and told me to use it as much as posible. it heald but was week and became painfull on and off but i could live with it 2 years later it gave way and for the past 3 years has got progresavlay worse it can now give way 4-5 times a week im in constant agony despite being on very strong painkillers, anti inflamitorys and a cream used mainlay for athritis.  my knee cap can move from side to side if u push it with ure finger but the worst thing is when the knee comes out and i have to put it back in today it came out three times i have passed out many times puting it back in. i have had phiseo an mri and seen a surgin and still dont have a clue what is wrong with it my new GP is verry good but seams to be at a loss going down stairs is worce than up and as i live three floors up thare are days i cant leave the house as i cant manage the stairs.  im 22 now and  if anyone has any idea what is wrong with it i would love to hear from you as it has run my life for years now i am determind to find out what is wrong and if the doctor cant help maybe u can

thanks
                                                        chris.j

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: so much pain
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 06:56:03 AM »
hey chris sounds to me like a major tracking prob..where the cap doesn' t stay on the correct orbit..you really need to see a good ortho..pt can help..and sometimes the doc can shoot up the knee and manipulate it..have that done myself coupla times a yr...anyway sorry you're in pain..you can IM me here if you want just click on my name and choose send private mssg..i'll be online tonite be back in a bit just gotta run to the deli for some coffee...let me know and hang in..i'll help any way i can

cheers

ron
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: so much pain
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 06:57:19 AM »
Chris,

It is likely that you may have torn away the ligaments the keep your kneecap steady and in place.  So that would explain the constant giving way and subluxations.  You can't be treated for this problem by a GP, which is why yours has been ineffective in helping you.  I'm not really sure why anyone is stumped--it's pretty logical.  When you have a traumatic dislocation, things get torn.  Then the knee becomes more and more predisposed to subluxing and dislocating.  The way to keep it in place is to try serious physical therapy exercises to strengthen everything.  You may need a brace.  And if the damage is severe enough you may well need surgery to tighten everything up and keep the knee from going out any more.  

Find a knee surgeon--an orthopedic surgeon who only works on knees!  Where are you located?  You may want to go up to the knee surgeons link and contact the one nearest to you.  As long as you continue to see a GP for a specialized surgical case, you won't get very far...no offense, but a GP wouldn't try to treat cancer or cardiac issues, and they should know when to say when on complex orthopedic cases.

Look up patellar instability, chronic dislocations, subluxation, etc in the patello-femoral section.  You will see there are lots of people out there with the same problem.  An orthopedic surgeon and a very good physical therapist are the ones you need to get you through this.

Good luck and take care.  

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support