Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MRI... Previous ACL reconstruction  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Golfinbev

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
MRI... Previous ACL reconstruction
« on: September 03, 2004, 04:25:49 AM »
Can anyone help with a few ?'s ..I had ACL reconstruction with Hamstring in Jan of 2004..I have had lots of swelling and Pain .....i  had MRI last week report reads...marked cyst formation into tibial plateau surrounding reconstructed ligament.......ligament is intact but there is NO osseous.(what is that??)incorporation in the tibial plateau......(does that mean it failed?) this would likely result in increased motion & less stability Also have three compartments of osteoarthritis greastest involement in the medial compartment.large joint effusion & baker cyst........The medial meniscus is degenerated and attenuated but no tear...there is cartilaginous loss and subchondral bone marrow edma in the medial compartment of the knee........Does it sounds like I will have surgery again.I see the OS on Sept 7th.but this is driving me crazy....can anyone help me??? :'( :'(

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: MRI... Previous ACL reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 07:11:36 AM »
I hate to tell you, but the MRI report indicates that you have quite a bit going on in your knee.  I'm so sorry.  It sounds like the bone graft part didn't take.  Osseous incorporation is exactly what it sounds like--the graft didn't get incorporated into the surrounding bone, and the radiologist is speculating that this would lead to instability and increased movement of the tibia (which would be prevented by having an intact ACL).  Kind of like the test they do to detect an ACL tear--they are looking for movement of the lower part of the leg when the brace the upper.  

Three compartments of osteoarthritis is not good--it means you have it in the lateral, medial, and patello-femoral compartments, but it sounds like the medial one is the worst.  Large joint effusion is lots of swelling inside the knee capsule, and a baker's cyst is a sign of arthritis.  It sounds like the medial meniscus looks like junk--there is no actual tear, but it's been frayed and worn away.  Cartilagenous loss means the articular cartilage is gone and the area of damage is into the underlying bone.  This is confirmed by the subchondral bone marrow (below cartilage i.e. in the bone) edema in the medial compartment--the bone in the medial part of your knee is so upset and inflamed and irritated that it's forming cysts to try to heal itself.

Only your doctor can guide you about what is the next step.  But it *sounds* like a recipe for a total knee replacement, simply because you have damage everywhere.  HOWEVER, lots of people have significant damage--even bone spurs--and little to no pain.  Arthritis is such a mysterious condition.  The doctor has seen inside your knee and he may believe something very different.  He may say the MRI is over-stating the damage because he's been in there and seen for himself.  He may have other ideas of things to try.

So inform yourself on your condition and be prepared to discuss things in depth with your doctor.  All I can say with certainty is that many of the things that showed up in the MRI would explain your symptoms.  So I think we can say with confidence that you are not imagining any pain!!  But as to how much of what showed up actually IS responsible for your pain--that's something only the doctor can tell you.  For example, my last MRI showed a big 'chunk' of scar tissue on the lateral part of my knee.  That would technically explain my pain.  But that's not what hurts--it's a red herring.  What is causing me pain is bone lesions on the back of my patella.  

So you see, the MRI does not tell the whole story, and so don't let it freak you out.  The doctor may or may not want to treat this aggressively, or maybe give it longer to heal.  I can't remember your age, and if you had chronic knee issues before this.  That would also likely determine the course of action.

Hope this info helps.  I almost didn't want to post because I don't want you to panic or anything.  But I believe that knowledge is important, so take the terms, look them up, and be prepared with questions for your OS.  And please understand that a lot of things which might sound terrible on the MRI may not concern your doctor because either he doesn't agree with the findings, or he's seen your knee inside and thinks something else is going on, etc.

Good luck and let us know what the doctor says.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Golfinbev

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 06:07:23 AM »
Heather..Thank you so much for explaining what is going on with my knee..........I had a bad feeling when I read the MRI report...but I really didn't understand it..but thanks to you I will be able to go to my Dr. and be ready for what he has to say.........I am very scared what the next step will be.but I will do my best to stay calm.........Thanks again..I will post after i see him......on Tuesday the 7th ..Please keep me in your prayers........also I am 51 year Old female who blew my ACL out 10 years ago getting on an Airplane.....silly me...but they didn't want to do a ACL reconstruction at that time....said I was not active enough........Wish I had a second opinion at that time.....Hind site now......thanks again Bev in Michigan

Offline Golfinbev

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 02:21:34 AM »
Heather......now I am really confused........I saw my OS  today...........and I feel he blew me off........he said graft was fine....and I had arthritis in my knee...and I should think about doing the SYNVISC injections.to read the material and come back in a month......What should I do.......should i get a second opinion?...Worried in Michigan Bev.......... :o :'(